Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The girl at the feed store really pushed this food, The Great life. I recently moved to a new town and cant find my dogs usual food, so i thought I would try something new. The ingredients looked pretty decent at first glance. Now, however I am kicking myself for buying a food without researching it first. All 3 of my dogs are having accidents and drinking/peeing more. 2 have started vomiting, all have lost weight and they just don't seem right. I hadnt really put it all together until tonight...They are ALL sick with the same symptoms and the only change was this new food, 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting to hear back from my vet for UA results, from last week, but I am wondering if this could be related to the food? Now I am super worried. Has anyone else tried this food? I cant believe I didnt think of linking the food until 8pm on a Sunday night. Now I am gonna freak, all night.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It does not look like a bad food. Looks healthy to me from their site. If you did not switch them over slowly 7-10 days it will shock their digestive system by changing their food cold turkey. Stop the food now. Find the other food you had. You can feed them white rice and some cooked chicken or turkey. This should settle their systems down. Give them some canned pupkin if they are having diarrhea. If you like the food you had before. There are online food companies
Pet food direct.com
Petflow.com

Don't know which flavor you are feeding or can or kibble.

Look at some of LindaH posts she has most of the food sites listed.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Just a few customer comments, off a review site / that raises a big alarm bell: http://petcareeducation.com/dogfoodreviews/great-life-dog-food/

GREAT LIFE DOG FOOD - Great Life brand dog food is manufactured by Doctor’s Finest Inc. Doctor’s Finest ships all of their products out of Southern California, and advertises all of their products as being made in the USA. Doctor’s Finest was first founded in 1996. The spokesperson for Doctor’s Finest is Dr. Elliott Harvey, who was featured on a show on Animal Planet. Dr. Harvey has also won the award for “Best Products Award” from Animal Wellness Magazine. None of Great Life’s dog food formulas have ever been involved in any pet food recalls.

GREAT LIFE DOG FOOD REVIEW - Great Life’s dog food formulas contain a unique freeze dried raw food nutrition complex, which is saturated throughout the dry kibble. All of Great Life’s formulas use meat that is free of artificial hormones and antibiotics. They also market their formulas as being made with only premium human-grade ingredients. In addition to this, Great Life also states that their formulas are low-glycemic, and retain “full active nutrition” after being baked.

Mimi says: March 12, 2011 at 3:34 pm
I called Great Life after noticing large amounts of animal(buffalo?) hair in their food. I returned the food. I have tiny chihuahuas and they can’t digest this. Each kibble, if you break it apart and look closely, has hairs in it. You can even see them protruding from the kibble without breaking it. When I called them the guy who took my call was rude and brusque, telling me to just return the food. No explanation about the large anmount of hir in it. Clearly they use the hide to make the food, with thee hair still on it. Not for my tiny babies and not worth the price for sure. I would not give this to my dogs even it it was free. The place I bought it from said the guy is rude to them as well.

Lisa says: March 23, 2011 at 4:31 pm
I noticed little tiny silvery hair or fibers embedded and stinking out of my Great Life Grain Free Chicken kibbles as well. I returned the unopened bag to my pet store and now we are transitioning to Orijen Regional Red.

Cashay says: June 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm
Dr. Harvey answers the phone, I stopped using this food a couple of years ago because he seemed VERY rude and arrogant when I was asking him a few questions, I very much agree with the former negative assessments of his attitude, plenty of really good foods out there we all just have to do our research and ultimately let our dogs be the judges.

Switch says: August 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm
We’ve tried GL buffalo and chicken. Both are horrendous for the coat of a German Shepherd. The buffalo caused dry flaky skin and massive shedding. The chicken caused massive shedding and a stink to their coats. The food “sounds” good, but the proof comes from the dogs. Great Life products are NOT for German Shepherds. We have seven unrelated GSDs.

marie says: December 4, 2011 at 5:02 pm
hello, i own an organic pet shop and i had noticed that people usually feed great life for about 4 months and then they stop…the reason being is unknown (we have only been open for a year) i was wondering if they change the formula..also some of the salmon bags had changed the front sticker…the large sticker would say salmon and the small sticker under it grain free and potato free WILD salmon. I am thinking we will be discontinuing this food, I would rather see my customers come back all the time !!!
I do know that over a year it went from having organic ingredients in the list to just plain regular ones!

Kerri says: November 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm
- I had been feeding Great Life for the last 2 years. I had switched from EVO as I had considered Great Life to be a higher quality food and Natura Foods (which makes Innova) was purchased by Proctor & Gamble. My dogs all loved the Great Life and I had them on a rotation of the Buffalo, Chicken and Wild Salmon. I used to tell my friends all about how great it was and where they could buy it in our area. Note: used to.
- The last 6-7 months I have noticed a change in what I was finding when I would open a new bag. And one of my dogs had developed very loose stool off and on within the past 2 months (She is healthy otherwise. The vet has examined her and believes it’s her food. I had been supplementing with Nupro, so stopped to see if that was causing the problem. Nope.). The first couple times, I assumed the manufacturer was changing the kibble size. White chunks of something (bone maybe?) were baked into the kibble. Then every other bag, the kibble size and color would change (smaller and darker than what had been the norm). This was all from the same protein variety (Salmon). This last bag I opened had three different types of kibble. The normal, then a smaller, darker flat circle and an “X” shape (think cheap cat food). It totally freaked me out and went back to the natural pet food store I purchased it at. They had no idea what was in the bag. They even opened one of the cat food bags (since they are made at the same plant) to see if the manufacturer had mixed it up. NOPE.
- I’m afraid the quality control for this manufacturer is severely lacking. And, as one of my dogs has an auto-immune disease, I will not take risks with what I am feeding them. I had trusted this company, but after the crazy mixture I found in this last bag, I will not be buying this anymore. It’s not worth it. And I’m extremely disappointed.
- I exchanged my bag for Orijen 6 Fish. It smelled like a fish house when I opened the vacuum sealed bag. My dogs downed their dinner faster than they had in a long time. Hopefully, they will do well on this food. Good luck to you all.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Just a few customer comments, off a review site / that raises a big alarm bell: GREAT LIFE DOG FOOD

GREAT LIFE DOG FOOD - Great Life brand dog food is manufactured by Doctor’s Finest Inc. Doctor’s Finest ships all of their products out of Southern California, and advertises all of their products as being made in the USA. Doctor’s Finest was first founded in 1996. The spokesperson for Doctor’s Finest is Dr. Elliott Harvey, who was featured on a show on Animal Planet. Dr. Harvey has also won the award for “Best Products Award” from Animal Wellness Magazine. None of Great Life’s dog food formulas have ever been involved in any pet food recalls.

GREAT LIFE DOG FOOD REVIEW - Great Life’s dog food formulas contain a unique freeze dried raw food nutrition complex, which is saturated throughout the dry kibble. All of Great Life’s formulas use meat that is free of artificial hormones and antibiotics. They also market their formulas as being made with only premium human-grade ingredients. In addition to this, Great Life also states that their formulas are low-glycemic, and retain “full active nutrition” after being baked.

Mimi says: March 12, 2011 at 3:34 pm
I called Great Life after noticing large amounts of animal(buffalo?) hair in their food. I returned the food. I have tiny chihuahuas and they can’t digest this. Each kibble, if you break it apart and look closely, has hairs in it. You can even see them protruding from the kibble without breaking it. When I called them the guy who took my call was rude and brusque, telling me to just return the food. No explanation about the large anmount of hir in it. Clearly they use the hide to make the food, with thee hair still on it. Not for my tiny babies and not worth the price for sure. I would not give this to my dogs even it it was free. The place I bought it from said the guy is rude to them as well.

Lisa says: March 23, 2011 at 4:31 pm
I noticed little tiny silvery hair or fibers embedded and stinking out of my Great Life Grain Free Chicken kibbles as well. I returned the unopened bag to my pet store and now we are transitioning to Orijen Regional Red.

Cashay says: June 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm
Dr. Harvey answers the phone, I stopped using this food a couple of years ago because he seemed VERY rude and arrogant when I was asking him a few questions, I very much agree with the former negative assessments of his attitude, plenty of really good foods out there we all just have to do our research and ultimately let our dogs be the judges.

Switch says: August 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm
We’ve tried GL buffalo and chicken. Both are horrendous for the coat of a German Shepherd. The buffalo caused dry flaky skin and massive shedding. The chicken caused massive shedding and a stink to their coats. The food “sounds” good, but the proof comes from the dogs. Great Life products are NOT for German Shepherds. We have seven unrelated GSDs.

marie says: December 4, 2011 at 5:02 pm
hello, i own an organic pet shop and i had noticed that people usually feed great life for about 4 months and then they stop…the reason being is unknown (we have only been open for a year) i was wondering if they change the formula..also some of the salmon bags had changed the front sticker…the large sticker would say salmon and the small sticker under it grain free and potato free WILD salmon. I am thinking we will be discontinuing this food, I would rather see my customers come back all the time !!!
I do know that over a year it went from having organic ingredients in the list to just plain regular ones!

Kerri says: November 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm
- I had been feeding Great Life for the last 2 years. I had switched from EVO as I had considered Great Life to be a higher quality food and Natura Foods (which makes Innova) was purchased by Proctor & Gamble. My dogs all loved the Great Life and I had them on a rotation of the Buffalo, Chicken and Wild Salmon. I used to tell my friends all about how great it was and where they could buy it in our area. Note: used to.
- The last 6-7 months I have noticed a change in what I was finding when I would open a new bag. And one of my dogs had developed very loose stool off and on within the past 2 months (She is healthy otherwise. The vet has examined her and believes it’s her food. I had been supplementing with Nupro, so stopped to see if that was causing the problem. Nope.). The first couple times, I assumed the manufacturer was changing the kibble size. White chunks of something (bone maybe?) were baked into the kibble. Then every other bag, the kibble size and color would change (smaller and darker than what had been the norm). This was all from the same protein variety (Salmon). This last bag I opened had three different types of kibble. The normal, then a smaller, darker flat circle and an “X” shape (think cheap cat food). It totally freaked me out and went back to the natural pet food store I purchased it at. They had no idea what was in the bag. They even opened one of the cat food bags (since they are made at the same plant) to see if the manufacturer had mixed it up. NOPE.
- I’m afraid the quality control for this manufacturer is severely lacking. And, as one of my dogs has an auto-immune disease, I will not take risks with what I am feeding them. I had trusted this company, but after the crazy mixture I found in this last bag, I will not be buying this anymore. It’s not worth it. And I’m extremely disappointed.
- I exchanged my bag for Orijen 6 Fish. It smelled like a fish house when I opened the vacuum sealed bag. My dogs downed their dinner faster than they had in a long time. Hopefully, they will do well on this food. Good luck to you all.
Damn Good post Stop feeding this food

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Dogs had been eating Honest Kitchen, and I plan to order more, but thought it would be neat to feed something that I could buy, locally. I still have 1/2 a box left and had been mixing the two foods. Tonight when the thought popped in my head I just gave them HK and plan to send my husband to the store, tomorrow to pick up some Orijen until we can get more food ordered. I just feel sick that I may have caused my kiddos to feel like crap for the past two weeks because I was to busy to thoroughly research and trusted someone who sounded knowledgeable at the store.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
No experience with this food, but had similar situation with my boy. It was with Taste of the wild however, despite how many people use and like it, Zeus immediately began drinking EVERYTHING, urinating in the house etc. Instead of gradually transitioning, I immediately switched him back to his old food until I could exchange the bag, and the day I switched him off the TOTW he was fine. (Also had a recent vet visit/bloodwork etc saying his kidneys/liver was fine, therefore it was indeed the food).

This scared me to the point of switching to raw, but I had to discontinue it due to therapy dog service. We now use Acana, and have been thrilled :D However, I will never trust another bag of TOTW. Too much to risk. Luckily I caught it quick enough not to have any lasting effects, and got a full return.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No experience with this food, but had similar situation with my boy. It was with Taste of the wild however, despite how many people use and like it, Zeus immediately began drinking EVERYTHING, urinating in the house etc. Instead of gradually transitioning, I immediately switched him back to his old food until I could exchange the bag, and the day I switched him off the TOTW he was fine. (Also had a recent vet visit/bloodwork etc saying his kidneys/liver was fine, therefore it was indeed the food).

This scared me to the point of switching to raw, but I had to discontinue it due to therapy dog service. We now use Acana, and have been thrilled :D However, I will never trust another bag of TOTW. Too much to risk. Luckily I caught it quick enough not to have any lasting effects, and got a full return.
Out of curiosity, how much of your bag was left? I cant really prove that it is the food, its just what makes sense. I only have about 1/4 of the bag left. would it be reasonable to return it?

·
Got mutt?
13,843 Posts
I would contact the FDA regarding the health issues exhibited by your dogs after eating this food.

How to Report a Pet Food Complaint
Darn, I wish I had known about this when Lucky got pancreatitis and Ilka got horrible dandruff after I tried a new food. Too late now, but at least I'll know to report it in the future.

OP, I hope you find out what is going on with your dogs. It sounds like a pretty scary situation.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Also moving to a new area you are giving them different water, water can give dogs diarrhea if they are not use to it Good luck

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also moving to a new area you are giving them different water, water can give dogs diarrhea if they are not use to it Good luck
They dont have diarrhea, just extra drinking/peeing, weight loss, and some vomiting (minor vomiting of bile). the biggest thing that has me concerned is all the peeing and the potential for kidney problems.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
My local feed store is fabulous and returned it with about 10-15lbs left. It was also 3 months old when I returned it, and they just donate their 'food returns' to the local shelter. I told them however what happened with my dog so that others did not encounter this

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I got the urine results back from the vet, today. She said it could be diet related but wasnt really sure. But the thing that gets me is we did a UA on her about a month ago to confirm the resolution of an issue with chronic hematuria she was having (so, every 2 weeks prior to this test she had a UA as well- I have a good idea what her urine looks like). Her urine has always had a fairly low pH and never showed any signs of crystals (for her whole life). None. Today's results had a pH of 8 and a massive amount of crystals. It seems a bit odd to me that her urine would change so drastically in 1 month without some outside influence. could it be the food?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yes, it could be the food. There has been some statements made on another food site concerning Great Life and their claim to be using fresh meat when the plant(Pied Piper) making the food supposedly has no refrigeration. I dont know the truth as to whether PP has refrigeration or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts