Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

41361 - 41368 of 41368 Posts

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,889 Posts
Wouldn't it have been easier to just put the plants in the garage?
Maybe easier, but not better. My garage is for vehicles and tools, which many people around here don't seem to grasp. Then they complain about vehicle break-ins when their expensive cars are left parked on driveways every night, because their garages are full of junk (e.g. plants). We don't have the extra storage space that TN does in his house. Years back, I was moving the plants into the shed every time we had a freeze, but was getting to be a hassle hauling with 50-70 lb. pots back and forth. My shed is only 8x12 and not big enough to be a greenhouse, with all the yard and wood equipment and bike stored there. Up until this year, I was putting frost protection covers (Plankets) over them before each freeze. Was another hassle and had to use 2x4 supports to avoid damaging the plants.

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,608 Posts
Maybe easier, but not better. My garage is for vehicles and tools, which many people around here don't seem to grasp. Then they complain about vehicle break-ins when their expensive cars are left parked on driveways every night, because their garages are full of junk (e.g. plants). We don't have the extra storage space that TN does in his house. Years back, I was moving the plants into the shed every time we had a freeze, but was getting to be a hassle hauling with 50-70 lb. pots back and forth. My shed is only 8x12 and not big enough to be a greenhouse, with all the yard and wood equipment and bike stored there. Up until this year, I was putting frost protection covers (Plankets) over them before each freeze. Was another hassle and had to use 2x4 supports to avoid damaging the plants.
It's nice to have the 2 storage rooms (and don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have it any other way) BUT, our total garage (parking area) length is shorter than other garages. This came into play when I bought a bass boat back in 2012...I knew I wanted to keep it in the garage so the neighborhood punks wouldn't steal stuff from it and with the length of our garage, I had to shop for a boat which would fit. Which ended up being a 17' boat which had a trailer with a folding tongue and that boat JUST fit with about 6" of room at the back and front.

We're the same way, nothing in our garage except our two cars.

·
Premium Member
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #41,363
If you have to worry about break ins, then I think you need to move to the country. Don't forget what I told you about spreading out regarding your old knees.

😁

·
Alpha schmalpha
3,941 Posts
That is the safest way to handle it is to bring them in and how can you go wrong with the light.

When we bring them in the lizards come in with them not a problem till it warms up and they move fast enough for a dobe to notice and then the fun starts.
A simple way to do outside protection in climates that allow some sheeting and a high wattage bulb is to drive some ridged conduit 3/4'' into the earth on both sides of what you want to protect. Place them every 16 to 24'' and fit a peice of 1/2 pvc pipe in one pipe and bend it to fit in pipe on the other side..Then use some of the large binder clips (that is used for holding papers together) to clip some 4 or 6mil clear plastic.

My advice to the general public is just buy new ones when the weather permits.😇

TN why are you hiding those Christmas cactus in the garage?! They look great!

Or put garbage bags over them? LOL. We move all our plants into one of the storage rooms of the garage every winter and that project is so much easier now after SD mentioned his gorilla cart, and of course I got one. Current situation :)
View attachment 136064

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,608 Posts
That is the safest way to handle it is to bring them in and how can you go wrong with the light.

When we bring them in the lizards come in with them not a problem till it warms up and they move fast enough for a dobe to notice and then the fun starts.
A simple way to do outside protection in climates that allow some sheeting and a high wattage bulb is to drive some ridged conduit 3/4'' into the earth on both sides of what you want to protect. Place them every 16 to 24'' and fit a peice of 1/2 pvc pipe in one pipe and bend it to fit in pipe on the other side..Then use some of the large binder clips (that is used for holding papers together) to clip some 4 or 6mil clear plastic.

My advice to the general public is just buy new ones when the weather permits.😇

TN why are you hiding those Christmas cactus in the garage?! They look great!
The Christmas cactus - Mrs. TN is trying to find a place for them up in the house where I won't be tripping over them. BTW, here's where your plants are for the winter.

And Mocha just happened to be there (imagine that) so she gets her moment in the spotlight too.

·
Alpha schmalpha
3,941 Posts
They are growing great! It is good to see that Tassle Fern doing so well(y)(y)(y)

The cross vine that is planted outside does it still have foliage??? I just shipped the trellis's out 2 weeks ago to Maryland. These were from the same group as yours. I got them up to 7' tall and started getting some flowers when we put them on the truck.

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,608 Posts
They are growing great! It is good to see that Tassle Fern doing so well(y)(y)(y)

The cross vine that is planted outside does it still have foliage??? I just shipped the trellis's out 2 weeks ago to Maryland. These were from the same group as yours. I got them up to 7' tall and started getting some flowers when we put them on the truck.
Yes it still has foliage and one shoot made it to about 6' high but we never got any blooms. Maybe next year!

Reactions: melbrod

·
Premium Member
8,372 Posts
no snow here yet - just chilly and windy today.... better than rain!

Reactions: melbrod
41361 - 41368 of 41368 Posts