Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

40961 - 40980 of 41061 Posts

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,858 Posts
Morning all!
Foggy again this morning. Promise of weekend rain is diminishing by the day, so I ran sprinkler system this morning (our one day under drought restriction- Stage 1)

Got Great Dane Barricade taken apart yesterday and materials stowed. I'm giving good pallets away to those who need them via Nextdoor. Keeping one for target backdrop for air rifle pellet practice. Also cleaning rehanging stuff in shed area.
After we evacuated all our tools & materials from neighbor's backyard, had neighbor's MIL (home schooling kids) let the hoards out again. Shot video which is sort of humorous. Didn't see the (2) other GD's, one senior & one puppy, just the two rabble rousers!

Pepper & Cinnamon Fence Test 11-19-20

·
Premium Member
13,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,964
Thanks for the video!

It was neat, but I couldn't get over how close you live to your neighbors. When I was younger I was more tolerant of living in apartments. Lived in several different apartments. Then I tried duplexes. They were a little bit better. Just before I bought my house I spent three years in a FEMA trailer on 3 acres. Sure I only had 368 square feet of living space, but I didn't have neighbors. Little did I know I would get the space and place I wanted with stupid neighbors.

I guess I just had a random rant!

:eek:

Oops!

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,858 Posts
Thanks for the video!

It was neat, but I couldn't get over how close you live to your neighbors. When I was younger I was more tolerant of living in apartments. Lived in several different apartments. Then I tried duplexes. They were a little bit better. Just before I bought my house I spent three years in a FEMA trailer on 3 acres. Sure I only had 368 square feet of living space, but I didn't have neighbors. Little did I know I would get the space and place I wanted with stupid neighbors.

I guess I just had a random rant!

:eek:

Oops!
Yes it's about 17 ft. wall to wall, but there's a garage buffer between each house, i.e. neighbors can't hear you yelling at each other unless your in garage.... 😬 😉
Many of the "garden homes" around here have only about 8 ft. between structures! Across hwy there is a community where most of the houses have 1/2 or 1 acre lots. Little too $$$ now for us, but not when we first moved here 28 years ago. Since I was still working aboard ships and gone more than half the time, DW didn't want large property then.

Believe me, now we want to downsize and move to single level house with some property. House prices are soaring in this town now with big influx from high tax states...

·
Premium Member
13,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,969
Yes it's about 17 ft. wall to wall, but there's a garage buffer between each house, i.e. neighbors can't hear you yelling at each other unless your in garage.... 😬 😉
Many of the "garden homes" around here have only about 8 ft. between structures! Across hwy there is a community where most of the houses have 1/2 or 1 acre lots. Little too $$$ now for us, but not when we first moved here 28 years ago. Since I was still working aboard ships and gone more than half the time, DW didn't want large property then.

Believe me, now we want to downsize and move to single level house with some property. House prices are soaring in this town now with big influx from high tax states...
"Splain" this to me.

What are you giving up? Of course I think differently than you. You have a second floor but the price of land is not going down. And you are also getting to the age that you probably shouldn't abuse your knees, by climbing stairs.

😇

Go for the flat property!

Umm, is there still going to be a pool?

·
Premium Member
13,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,970
On a side note, I got hooked on Sgt. Sam, Austin radio host. Todd and Don were my gateway drug to Sgt. Sam. He told it like it was!

Are you familiar with that? You are closer to Austin than I am!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,062 Posts
Apparently 1620 was no better than 2020.
I don't know—1620 doesn't look too horrible. On the other hand (from Wiki):

This one should interest you, Kenny

A severe frost in England, freezes the River Thames; 13 continuous days of snow blanket Scotland.
The Thames does not freeze (very often.) From 1499-1835, it is recorded as freezing completely over at London 24 times, but in the Great Frost of 1683-84 it froze for 2 months and the ice reached a depth of 11 inches.

The first merry-go-round is seen at a fair.
I suppose some might say we've been on a Merry-Go-Round all of 2020. Without the "Merry" of course.

The Mayflower [which incidentally was an armed merchant ship] arrives inside the tip of Cape Cod with the Pilgrims and Planters.
It took them three tries to get here—they kept having to go back to England for repairs. Anyway, this was perhaps not such good news for the Native Americans

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,062 Posts
Not out all night this time. I got a reasonable night's sleep and I'm wide awake and ready to jump into research.

At least I spared you a list of birthdays and deaths for 1620. There weren't many folks that were interesting on it anyway.

On May 16th, William Adams, English navigator and samurai, died.
That one must have a good back story. Actually, you kinda know it already if you've read Shogun by James Clavell, or saw the mini-series on TV in 1980.

AND—drumroll please
Winston Churchill was born on April 18th. You non-history people have surely heard of him, right? Actually, this Winston was an ancestor of the one you know about (I'm assuming). THE Winston Churchill was named after him, and was born on November 30, 1874.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
3,858 Posts
"Splain" this to me.

What are you giving up? Of course I think differently than you. You have a second floor but the price of land is not going down. And you are also getting to the age that you probably shouldn't abuse your knees, by climbing stairs.

😇

Go for the flat property!

Umm, is there still going to be a pool?
Yes, single level for old farts, good on knees. (y)

No pool and no visitors, unless they bring a log splitter and come to work! :cool:

On a side note, I got hooked on Sgt. Sam, Austin radio host. Todd and Don were my gateway drug to Sgt. Sam. He told it like it was!

Are you familiar with that? You are closer to Austin than I am!
Don't know who you're talking about? Austin is 45 min drive, unless you go during rush hours.
...or you can drive 30 miles East of SA to Seguin and take Tollway 130 and legally drive 85 mph while avoiding crossing feral hogs.
From the stories of how you drive, you might be able to get to Austin faster than me.... 😁

SH 130 segments 5 & 6 has the highest legal speed limit in the nation at 85 mph

·
Dobes Dobles +1
3,858 Posts
I don't know—1620 doesn't look too horrible. On the other hand (from Wiki):

This one should interest you, Kenny

A severe frost in England, freezes the River Thames; 13 continuous days of snow blanket Scotland.
The Thames does not freeze (very often.) From 1499-1835, it is recorded as freezing completely over at London 24 times, but in the Great Frost of 1683-84 it froze for 2 months and the ice reached a depth of 11 inches.

The first merry-go-round is seen at a fair.
I suppose some might say we've been on a Merry-Go-Round all of 2020. Without the "Merry" of course.

The Mayflower [which incidentally was an armed merchant ship] arrives inside the tip of Cape Cod with the Pilgrims and Planters.
It took them three tries to get here—they kept having to go back to England for repairs. Anyway, this was perhaps not such good news for the Native Americans

However, 1620 was much better than the year 1815... 😲

"The 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora was the most powerful volcanic eruption in recorded human history, with a Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of 7. The eruption ejected 160–180 cubic kilometres (38–43 cu mi) of material...

The ash from the eruption column dispersed around the world and lowered global temperatures in an event sometimes known as the Year Without a Summer in 1816.[4] This brief period of significant climate change triggered extreme weather and harvest failures in many areas around the world. "

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
Not out all night this time. I got a reasonable night's sleep and I'm wide awake and ready to jump into research.

At least I spared you a list of birthdays and deaths for 1620. There weren't many folks that were interesting on it anyway.

On May 16th, William Adams, English navigator and samurai, died.
That one must have a good back story. Actually, you kinda know it already if you've read Shogun by James Clavell, or saw the mini-series on TV in 1980.

AND—drumroll please
Winston Churchill was born on April 18th. You non-history people have surely heard of him, right? Actually, this Winston was an ancestor of the one you know about (I'm assuming). THE Winston Churchill was named after him, and was born on November 30, 1874.
He is the English dude,right?

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
I am probably jinxing myself but, I have a video interview with the trucking company on Tuesday. The recruiter called me yesterday afternoon. Aunt B will get on to me for this. She will claim I am whining. Why can't a decent job find me?
Here comes ABTLH to ask more questions...so a recruiter called you? Out of the blue or did you sign up with the recruiter's company to have them inspect you for possible jobs? Did the recruiter describe what the job entailed? Or was it posted someplace. Does the job have a future--where you can rise in all your glory to bigger and better things? What have you done in the past that might equip you to be successful at this job? What are your goals? Is the job within your required parameter like distance from your home. Are the salary ranges within your acceptable values? Do the have an acceptable break room that meets your needs?

I'll have more questions as soon as I see your answers to the questions I have posed here.

By the way, Denny, one of my long term jobs when I was going to college was with an employment agency. Applicants had to get past me before they got to go interview with a company who might hire them.

Good luck...or is this one a guaranteed failure because it's not what you want to do, doesn't pay well enough, is too far to drive daily or has no break room! Inquiring minds want to know.

By the way--about jobs finding you--I worked at a variety of jobs in the field of retail marine hardware. By the time I'd been with the first company for three years I was a known quantity (and quality) and at least four or five times a year some other marine hardware company would call and ask if I'd ever consider changing jobs. Basically that's how you get jobs to find you.

dobebug/ABTLH

40961 - 40980 of 41061 Posts