Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

39321 - 39340 of 40002 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,321
Beau just had a brain fat revaluation, and if I'm ever blessed with a grandchild...
- I'm asking MEL for the honors of being his/her God Mother

The little chit(s), will be fluently reading before Kinder garden / and no doubt, be getting
a small Junior dictionary for Xmas.
- and start learning, them big words real early

Kid(s) can go to Colorado, for summer holidays too.
- and be so blessed, with Ma's bed time reading story time :wow: intellect

And when the PapaBear family visits as an extended family, Larry not playing
SCRABBLE @ night....there I said it.
- leaving all that challenging Fun, for Nancy & Mel and company
- Larry knows his Limitations / I don't mind loosing, but not before the Game starts up
Dictionary is one of my favorite books!

I know big words but I have no patience these days and prefer to cut to the chase.

"You done F***ed up!"

Not you, just in general.

0:)

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,322
WOW MEL - now that really does surprise me...Big Time.

Nancy was real good at Wheel of Fortune, her family watched it as kids...probably immensely helps, the board game play.

Nancy played a lot of Scrabble, with here sisters...growing up.
- even one of her sister, who never finished HS, is real good at it...I wouldn't of guessed
- Nancy mother, was real good at Scrabble too / so early exposure to this stuff, probably plays a big part...in enjoying the game

Larry SUCKS at Scrabble, and need tons of help...from everyone at the table.
- hell, when I was writing my earlier Post...I spelled Scrabble, with only one "b"
- and the few times I did play / my Luck, I get stuck with all the Vowels
- and can't make up a new word, while I search for a 3-4 letter word
- that's my gaming story / and I make up words, to fill the board...all spelled incorrectly
- so one of Nancy's sisters, has to look it up in the dictionary and prove it
...like I routinely say...Larry spelled it right, so prove it >:)
She's fibbing Beau! She would knock our blocks off at scrabble.

She's being coy.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I'm one of those who takes a word like "of" already on the board and makes it "off".

Definitely not good…at all.
Game in Play...
- SP gets the 1st word..."of".
- MEL gets the 2nd word..."off"
My turn and Beau puts an "F" in front of it, and says. >:)
- ADD up my Points now...did I Win?

Agree SP - MA playing Possum, on the Board Games...she our "Fibber McGee" tonight.
- and comes out of no where, to seize the big "Points Spread"

She's fibbing Beau! She would knock our blocks off at scrabble.

She's being coy.

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,326
Game in Play...
- SP gets the 1st word..."of".
- MEL gets the 2nd word..."off"
And Beau puts an "F" in front of it, and says. >:)
- ADD up my Points now...did I Win?

Agree SP - MA playing Possum, on the Board Games...she our "Fibber McGee" tonight.
- and comes out of no where, to seize the big "Points Spread"
Of course?

How many points did I get?

:2surprise:

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,743 Posts

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Ezekiel—chapter 10—pretty weird stuff

"9 I looked, and I saw beside the cherubim four wheels, one beside each of the cherubim; the wheels sparkled like topaz. 10 As for their appearance, the four of them looked alike; each was like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 11 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the cherubim faced; the wheels did not turn about as the cherubim went. The cherubim went in whatever direction the head faced, without turning as they went. 12 Their entire bodies, including their backs, their hands and their wings, were completely full of eyes, as were their four wheels. 13 I heard the wheels being called “the whirling wheels.” 14 Each of the cherubim had four faces: One face was that of a cherub, the second the face of a human being, the third the face of a lion, and the fourth the face of an eagle."

They're in Revelation too, I think.
I've got a bible somewhere around here. (Willed to me by a very good friend who became a "born again Christian" when she was about 50--and passed away about 20 years ago now and her brother sent me her newest illustrated bible--saying she wanted me to have it--told him that a few weeks before she died.

Keep reminding me not to be reading Revelations.

I wasn't a big fan of Lovecraft either. And I've sat some pretty bizarre movies out in the entry reading whatever book I had in my purse (for emergencies, you know?) because I didn't realize that the movie was a display of blood, slime and children rolling their eyes back in their heads.

ICK

ABLTH

·
Super Moderator
21,134 Posts
Pretty pup MC ! To me she has Aussie looking ears , Thanks for the picture and tell mom and dad I said Hi :grin2:
She is pretty, I agree. I think maybe she's Border Collie, maybe a bit of ACD...hard to say. Could be Aussie?

I've got a bible somewhere around here. (Willed to me by a very good friend who became a "born again Christian" when she was about 50--and passed away about 20 years ago now and her brother sent me her newest illustrated bible--saying she wanted me to have it--told him that a few weeks before she died.

Keep reminding me not to be reading Revelations.

I wasn't a big fan of Lovecraft either. And I've sat some pretty bizarre movies out in the entry reading whatever book I had in my purse (for emergencies, you know?) because I didn't realize that the movie was a display of blood, slime and children rolling their eyes back in their heads.

ICK

ABLTH
I think I might be able to claim status as the Biblical expert around here? I'm certainly married to one. I missed your original post, Mel. The description you posted, "I saw beside the cherubim four wheels, one beside each of the cherubim; the wheels sparkled like topaz. 10 As for their appearance, the four of them looked alike; each was like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 11 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the cherubim faced; the wheels did not turn about as the cherubim went...." That's a description of a different type of angel - it's the ophanim. There are three types of angels, cherubim, seraphim, and ophanim. The "wheels" are the ophanim. People think of angels as these cherubic little babies with wings, but angels aren't described anything like that. In fact, every time an angel appears to someone in the Bible, the FIRST thing they say is "don't be afraid." Every.time. Their appearance is clearly inhuman and terrifying.

There is a very similar angel in Revelation, it has traits from all three of the angels. The Book of Revelation is quite fascinating, but not "scary" as many would like to believe. It's all symbolic. It was written by a prophet, yes, but the prophecy has already happened. It was about the one of the falls of Rome, and everything in the book has already happened. It's not about the "end of the world" or "the end times." People like to get worked up about it because it's the last book in the Bible. But what most people forget is that the Bible isn't "one book", it's simply a collection of books. Each book is an individual book; the church decided what to canonize hundreds of years ago. It's not like it was written as one continuous story.

And there's your Biblical lesson for today. If you need more, hit me up.

Fun fact, my husband is a pretty big Lovecraft fan, too. I've also enjoyed the Lovecraft stories. There have been some good and not-so-good movies made of the Lovecraft stories. The Lovecraft mythology is pretty interesting and fantastic. The most recent release that was really good was The Color Out of Space, starring, of all people, Nick Cage.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,830 Posts
You drove me back to look at different translations—the one I gave was the NIV, but all the English ones seem to have cherubim or cherub. In the Hebrew—yup—there's that specific name "ophanim" I guess English just doesn't have a name for an equivalent being?

It looks like the Revelation "living beings" aren't named?? They're a little different from Ezekiel's too, but still have the scary image of EYES all over, front and back (Always awake, never sleeping.)

I read this passage and always think of the inadequacy of any language to describe the indescribable—and then the additional difficulty of taking it one step further and trying to translate the original into a different language—taking images which have a certain symbolic meaning in one language and then trying to find some word in the new language that has the same symbolism. Or maybe just choosing to translate it straight, one for one—but losing some of the original meaning.

I always kinda wanted to learn Greek so I could read the New Testament as it was written, but then, when I saw all of the scholarly discussions (arguments) about how particular passages should be translated, decided I would never have enough familiarity with Greek to match their insights. So I'm left with reading commentary…

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
Morning .

Nothing crazy day here on the " Not " right farm , lol Maybe some rain today ? I mowed the dog lot late yesterday , what a fog of dust and it's been watered .

What a night last night ! 2 Dobermans that was not ready to go to sleep I guess - Kadin along with the LG both had big days yesterday , here's my mistake --- I thought ! they would be dead to the world - sleep like puppies , but LG was a mess and that got big boy going . Long story short --- Ken feels like he never went to bed last night .

Well everybody have a great day .

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,743 Posts
Morning Ken!

Glad your two babies now "getting along" better these days! :2smile:
Cold front just blew through here last hour, from the north, little rain, but expecting 45mph gusts.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hey SP, too bad you don't live in TX, HADR just posted this morning a 1.7 y/o C/D red boy, Astro, ready for adoption: :nicejob:

https://www.hadr.org/available-dobies

·
Dobes Dobles +1
3,743 Posts
Good morning everyone.
What a glorious day it is going to be......
So lets all just just up and activate our chi........

Good morning LaDi!

What is "chi"?

Is that abbreviation for that word "chit" that Ken uses frequently, and how does one activate it? :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
21,134 Posts
You drove me back to look at different translations—the one I gave was the NIV, but all the English ones seem to have cherubim or cherub. In the Hebrew—yup—there's that specific name "ophanim" I guess English just doesn't have a name for an equivalent being?

It looks like the Revelation "living beings" aren't named?? They're a little different from Ezekiel's too, but still have the scary image of EYES all over, front and back (Always awake, never sleeping.)

I read this passage and always think of the inadequacy of any language to describe the indescribable—and then the additional difficulty of taking it one step further and trying to translate the original into a different language—taking images which have a certain symbolic meaning in one language and then trying to find some word in the new language that has the same symbolism. Or maybe just choosing to translate it straight, one for one—but losing some of the original meaning.

I always kinda wanted to learn Greek so I could read the New Testament as it was written, but then, when I saw all of the scholarly discussions (arguments) about how particular passages should be translated, decided I would never have enough familiarity with Greek to match their insights. So I'm left with reading commentary…
Another funny story, or, funny to me. My husband and I have dated since high school, so I've known him a long time. We went to college together. He has known he wanted to be a pastor since he was young. His dad was a pastor. His grandpa was a pastor, his uncle is a pastor...it's kind of the family profession, I guess! Anyway, in college, he thought he'd take Greek to get a "head start" on seminary. So, he did take a year (maybe 2...hard for me to remember this far out from college) of ancient Greek in college. Then we spent a semester in Greece, and he had a layer of modern Greek to learn, which is very, very different...but he still had it together.

We get married, move to Chicago for seminary. In the ELCA Lutheran church, it's required to learn Biblical Greek and Hebrew (or, it was then, they are doing weird things now with language requirements, which is too bad). Low and behold...he finds out that the ancient Greek he learned was...the WRONG one. As in, Greek is such an old language that there are several versions, all with their own rules. So it was like learning yet a third language, when you think you already know the words and rules!!!! Poor guy. Good thing he has an apptitude for learning language.

I am a huge proponent for having someone who can read the Bible in the original language when you are studying it. The idioms and metaphors simply can't be understood properly if you don't. Many years ago I decided to read the whole Bible for my Lenten discipline that year (obviously it ended up taking way longer than the 6 weeks of Lent). I'd constantly stop and say, hey! What does this mean? And for a lot of the passages that aren't the super common ones he'd look it up in the original language to see what it said.

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
Another funny story, or, funny to me. My husband and I have dated since high school, so I've known him a long time. We went to college together. He has known he wanted to be a pastor since he was young. His dad was a pastor. His grandpa was a pastor, his uncle is a pastor...it's kind of the family profession, I guess! Anyway, in college, he thought he'd take Greek to get a "head start" on seminary. So, he did take a year (maybe 2...hard for me to remember this far out from college) of ancient Greek in college. Then we spent a semester in Greece, and he had a layer of modern Greek to learn, which is very, very different...but he still had it together.

We get married, move to Chicago for seminary. In the ELCA Lutheran church, it's required to learn Biblical Greek and Hebrew (or, it was then, they are doing weird things now with language requirements, which is too bad). Low and behold...he finds out that the ancient Greek he learned was...the WRONG one. As in, Greek is such an old language that there are several versions, all with their own rules. So it was like learning yet a third language, when you think you already know the words and rules!!!! Poor guy. Good thing he has an apptitude for learning language.

I am a huge proponent for having someone who can read the Bible in the original language when you are studying it. The idioms and metaphors simply can't be understood properly if you don't. Many years ago I decided to read the whole Bible for my Lenten discipline that year (obviously it ended up taking way longer than the 6 weeks of Lent). I'd constantly stop and say, hey! What does this mean? And for a lot of the passages that aren't the super common ones he'd look it up in the original language to see what it said.

Well here is another of my most favorite Mods !

So - is where when you don't understand something - the say 'n' It's all Greek to me comes from ?:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Sure hope Lannie is doing okay.

Davy still gone.

:frown3:
Denny - I just tried to call Davey - No answer + he don't have his answering service set up - why do people do that ? :grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

Good morning Everyone-

Sorry Doc, I was unable to take calls yesterday. I am not sure why there is no answering service, I just assumed there was one. I will check and.....ok all setup, voicemail should be good now.

As SP said, I have been awol! :frown3:

But working on getting back on track. I have started trying to play piano again as well. Chose the following 4 songs to get going:

Whirling Leaves - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZpszCDr7jM
Malaguena - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzJrsOcKcfc
Wayfaring Stranger - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KKELHWTh1c
Evening Guitars - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFuyuOjkePM

Haven't played on the drum pad in a while either....I still have those bumps on my index finger joints so not sure I will get back to drumming....

Will try and catch up on some of the posts here....I did see SP where you asked if anyways is a word.
Think so according to https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/lets-talk-about-anyways but not real sure :2smile:

But could have used anywho or anyhoo :2surprise:

OK back to work :frown3:

39321 - 39340 of 40002 Posts