Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

38161 - 38180 of 40171 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,161
I'm sitting here @0530 next to Spock, on his favorite loveseat and he's finally getting a sound sleep after another terrible night. :|

Sorry to introduce a down post in the normally upbeat Chicken Thread, but I feel comfortable discussing Spock's recent decline here with my chicken peeps. Later, I'll start a new thread for both Spock and Eva in the Doberman Health forum. (also, sorry for long post)

After Bug's response to my initial Spock posts about his coughing, we decided to go to 2nd vet after all, yesterday morning, since the onset of his symptoms came so suddenly on Sunday morning. (I ponder now, that his "night terror" incidents of 5th and 15th August might have been two precursor cardiac events)

Spock and Eva's regular vet for more than 8 years suddenly left the clinic just a short while ago and didn't tell anyone where she was going! I even emailed her with Spock's symptoms on Sunday and stated we would be coming in first thing Monday to clinic for exam. When we got there, a new DVM was present, very nice, but apparently inexperienced with Dobes or DCM. We got the prescription for the Doxycycline antibiotic and proceeded home, but still unsure about cough? As mentioned in previous post the antibiotic appeared to work and lessened frequency and depth of his severe coughing spells over Monday night.

On Tuesday morning, we had our normal round the block walk and pondered going to 2nd vet, who our breeder has used for many years. Spock started out at this vet as a puppy for a couple years. Got first appointment available in morning and took. Lady DVM there, very experienced, middle to late age examined Spock, who by that time in mid morning hadn't had a coughing spell for an hour. We explained about coming to rule in/out CHF DCM for Spock, as previous new vet just said lung infection. Did chest X-ray, EKG, followed by Echo gram of heart using Oncura remote diagnostics equipment. DVM says looks initially like cardiac problem. We'll get full Oncura report this morning. Good note: DVM & techs as second vet's office all loved Spock, didn't need any sedative for scary X-ray or ultrasound machines, just acted very calm.

As Bug has described in the numerous DCM threads, this disease can only be detected by Echograms or 24 hr. Holter monitoring, before symptoms start By then it's rather late to prevent, as in Spock's case, and can only be treated to prolong the inevitable.

2nd Vet issued Lasix and Vetmedin for Spock to start on when I went back to pick him up, near closing time of 6PM. At this point Spock was just about free of any coughing events and acting almost normal, except being at vet's office most of the day. Spock didn't eat much food for dinner after coming home and I did a stupid thing... Started him on two new medications at once and after normal vet hours!..:frown3:

The Lasix is just a diuretic to reduce fluid retention, but the Vetmedin are big honkin' horse pills that directly affect heart pumping and blood flow. About 30 minutes after giving him the medications he started having dry heaves, but no discharge, every 5 minutes. Also, some drooling and bit of foaming at mouth. I felt terrible to have caused him additional anguish over the coughing he already had.

This lasted for 7 hours which Spock was like a zombie Dobe, wouldn't drink, eat or settle down. His ears were in fixed semi up position and didn't respond normally to us. Every time he tried to lay down for a bit, he'd end up getting up to dry heave in corner of room. Frequency lessened so we decided to ride it out. I walked him many times around yard and in front of house. Curiously, Spock resorted back to his puppy digging habits, maybe out of frustration with this condition, so I kept him on a lead outside.

After midnight it stopped, no more heaving, he started normal Dober whining, which was actually good to hear- no more zombie Dobe. He started drinking water then and we went outside for his FIRST pee since nausea started many hours prior, even with Lasix! Finally by 2AM he was able to lay down and sleep. Spock is obviously intolerant of the Vetmedin medication.

Back to vet this morning, after Spock recharges. Needless to say, I'm devastated by his rapid decline in health, but not surprised due to his age. His indomitable Doberman spirit is being drained from him in front of our eyes. I almost wish he might just pass peacefully in his sleep at night, so we don't have to face him on that dreadful day, in the near future, when the big decision is made for him.... :crying:

Spock's now awakening and showing me his belly for a rub, even in his poor condition, showing his truly loving, sweet nature... :2smile:

Epilogue: To compound situation, Eva has resumed up an occasional cough again last night, very minor compared to Spock' coughing two days ago. Both are same age, so we knew up front this was likely when adopting her in 2012.
I am sad for the anguish you all are going through. I hate it when it gets to the point that you have to think about things you don't want to think about.

My girl Ktrin had cancer and I hung on to her too long. I promised myself I would never do that again. That's why I felt better about my decision to have Axel and Stryker put down.

Hugs to you and yours!

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,532 Posts
I'm sitting here @0530 next to Spock, on his favorite loveseat and he's finally getting a sound sleep after another terrible night. :|

Sorry to introduce a down post in the normally upbeat Chicken Thread, but I feel comfortable discussing Spock's recent decline here with my chicken peeps. Later, I'll start a new thread for both Spock and Eva in the Doberman Health forum. (also, sorry for long post)

After Bug's response to my initial Spock posts about his coughing, we decided to go to 2nd vet after all, yesterday morning, since the onset of his symptoms came so suddenly on Sunday morning. (I ponder now, that his "night terror" incidents of 5th and 15th August might have been two precursor cardiac events)

Spock and Eva's regular vet for more than 8 years suddenly left the clinic just a short while ago and didn't tell anyone where she was going! I even emailed her with Spock's symptoms on Sunday and stated we would be coming in first thing Monday to clinic for exam. When we got there, a new DVM was present, very nice, but apparently inexperienced with Dobes or DCM. We got the prescription for the Doxycycline antibiotic and proceeded home, but still unsure about cough? As mentioned in previous post the antibiotic appeared to work and lessened frequency and depth of his severe coughing spells over Monday night.

On Tuesday morning, we had our normal round the block walk and pondered going to 2nd vet, who our breeder has used for many years. Spock started out at this vet as a puppy for a couple years. Got first appointment available in morning and took. Lady DVM there, very experienced, middle to late age examined Spock, who by that time in mid morning hadn't had a coughing spell for an hour. We explained about coming to rule in/out CHF DCM for Spock, as previous new vet just said lung infection. Did chest X-ray, EKG, followed by Echo gram of heart using Oncura remote diagnostics equipment. DVM says looks initially like cardiac problem. We'll get full Oncura report this morning. Good note: DVM & techs as second vet's office all loved Spock, didn't need any sedative for scary X-ray or ultrasound machines, just acted very calm.

As Bug has described in the numerous DCM threads, this disease can only be detected by Echograms or 24 hr. Holter monitoring, before symptoms start By then it's rather late to prevent, as in Spock's case, and can only be treated to prolong the inevitable.

2nd Vet issued Lasix and Vetmedin for Spock to start on when I went back to pick him up, near closing time of 6PM. At this point Spock was just about free of any coughing events and acting almost normal, except being at vet's office most of the day. Spock didn't eat much food for dinner after coming home and I did a stupid thing... Started him on two new medications at once and after normal vet hours!..:frown3:

The Lasix is just a diuretic to reduce fluid retention, but the Vetmedin are big honkin' horse pills that directly affect heart pumping and blood flow. About 30 minutes after giving him the medications he started having dry heaves, but no discharge, every 5 minutes. Also, some drooling and bit of foaming at mouth. I felt terrible to have caused him additional anguish over the coughing he already had.

This lasted for 7 hours which Spock was like a zombie Dobe, wouldn't drink, eat or settle down. His ears were in fixed semi up position and didn't respond normally to us. Every time he tried to lay down for a bit, he'd end up getting up to dry heave in corner of room. Frequency lessened so we decided to ride it out. I walked him many times around yard and in front of house. Curiously, Spock resorted back to his puppy digging habits, maybe out of frustration with this condition, so I kept him on a lead outside.

After midnight it stopped, no more heaving, he started normal Dober whining, which was actually good to hear- no more zombie Dobe. He started drinking water then and we went outside for his FIRST pee since nausea started many hours prior, even with Lasix! Finally by 2AM he was able to lay down and sleep. Spock is obviously intolerant of the Vetmedin medication.

Back to vet this morning, after Spock recharges. Needless to say, I'm devastated by his rapid decline in health, but not surprised due to his age. His indomitable Doberman spirit is being drained from him in front of our eyes. I almost wish he might just pass peacefully in his sleep at night, so we don't have to face him on that dreadful day, in the near future, when the big decision is made for him.... :crying:

Spock's now awakening and showing me his belly for a rub, even in his poor condition, showing his truly loving, sweet nature... :2smile:

Epilogue: To compound situation, Eva has resumed up an occasional cough again last night, very minor compared to Spock' coughing two days ago. Both are same age, so we knew up front this was likely when adopting her in 2012.
I'm so sorry to hear this and hope that it's something, anything else. You, Spock, and Eva are in my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,164
So Glad that Mocha girl is doing better !

TN- Laura is still 288 miles out and hit a 3 - , that gives plenty of time to hit a 4 - but now worried she will go a 5 . 30 miles inland ? Unbelievable Thats from our house to Indy !

Got to get the truck ready , Kadins trip to the Vet day for shots .

Have a great day !
I heard it was going to hit Arkansas too!

We only have a 30% chance of rain today.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,768 Posts
Real sad news Spock.
I am sure you are doing everything you can for both of them during this trying time.

This just sucks. :frown3:

Spock and pack went out for pee break, he broke the Dobe record for continuous pee of 10 minutes, followed by a 5 minute supplemental pee! (with Lasix assist) :laugh:

He's alert and ear mobile this morning, a bit quiet (no barking) and no appetite back, yet. Waiting for DVM callback.

I'm sort of sorry I posted this stuff here, won't post any more depressing news on the CT, will move to a Dobe Health forum thread...

·
Super Moderator
21,160 Posts

Spock and pack went out for pee break, he broke the Dobe record for continuous pee of 10 minutes, followed by a 5 minute supplemental pee! (with Lasix assist) :laugh:

He's alert and ear mobile this morning, a bit quiet (no barking) and no appetite back, yet. Waiting for DVM callback.

I'm sort of sorry I posted this stuff here, won't post any more depressing news on the CT, will move to a Dobe Health forum thread...
Hey SD...first, I don't think you have to be at all sorry for sharing this here. I don't know why this thread can't be for support, too?

Second, I think you know that I was feeling fearful of DCM, too... I'm hoping you hear back from your vet soon. My hope is that they can refer you to a cardiologist. It can be a bit tricky at first to get the meds worked out. Working with dosages and to get dogs acclimated to their drugs...it takes a very experienced vet and it can take some adjusting. The GOOD news is that it can really help.

If you post in the Health section we do have some members with a ton of experience with this. People like Lois (dax0402), who has years of experience with Baron. And, of course, Bug, who is an expert!

Sending hugs to Spock, and to Eva, too. Loving and caring for old dogs is a privilege, but it can be hard on our own hearts.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,169

Why are you sorry? We all post our sorrows and worries here. You all made me feel better when I was lamenting about putting Stryker down. No sorry needed.

:x

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,880 Posts

I'm glad you're seeing a little improvement. Hopefully as Spock's meds get adjusted better, things will smooth out for you guys.

While I think your experiences might be helpful to provide insights to the forum as a whole, I don't see why you would ever think that you shouldn't post here too.

I must admit there are times when I know I don't like to talk about unpleasant experiences—the closer I am to someone the harder it gets somehow. I was raised in a family where you didn't talk about personal troubles—health ones in particular. It upset the brave invulnerable front you were supposed to present to the world somehow, and made you look weak.

According to my family's ethos.

The further along I get in life, the wronger (surely that's a word) those ideas seem.

Anyway, don't be silly. The CT is made up of stream of consciousness conversations, so whatever comes into your life and is at the top of your mind, good or bad, can be talked about here. Life isn't all happy, happy, crack a joke, funny stuff, and the CT doesn't have to be either.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,171
In Guthrie news, I called my propane peeps. Dude has my new tank loaded and on his way.

Told Mister this was happening on Monday. He said he would like to be here to see this delivery and installation. Suggested he could take a day off. Sent Mister a reminder text yesterday. He went to work. So now, if he doesn't like something they did he has nothing to bitch about. He didn't even go with me to the closing on my house. And, he damn sure didn't go with me when I hauled Stryker to his final destination. I am okay with the Stryker thing. He would have made it worse, not having knowledge of horse psychology.

I forgot to say the propane people are extremely nice people. Obviously they like their jobs.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,173
I'm glad you're seeing a little improvement. Hopefully as Spock's meds get adjusted better, things will smooth out for you guys.

While I think your experiences might be helpful to provide insights to the forum as a whole, I don't see why you would ever think that you shouldn't post here too.

I must admit there are times when I know I don't like to talk about unpleasant experiences—the closer I am to someone the harder it gets somehow. I was raised in a family where you didn't talk about personal troubles—health ones in particular. It upset the brave invulnerable front you were supposed to present to the world somehow, and made you look weak.

According to my family's ethos.

The further along I get in life, the wronger (surely that's a word) those ideas seem.

Anyway, don't be silly. The CT is made up of stream of consciousness conversations, so whatever comes into your life and is at the top of your mind, good or bad, can be talked about here. Life isn't all happy, happy, crack a joke, funny stuff, and the CT doesn't have to be either.
Well said, as usual, Ma!

·
Registered
9,487 Posts

Oh man, Spock--don't apologize for sharing this on the DT/CT--and I'll stick some supplemental advice in here about cardiac drugs.

I've had four dogs on Vetmedin (or the generic pimobendin) two of them on high dosage and two on lower dosage. Generally Vetmedin is tolerated well although one of my boys didn't and was on 1/2 dose for his weight for the entire time he was on it. And I've never had a dog on lasix (one of my dogs, my first, was on lasix as his diagnosis occurred when he was already in full blown CHF but he was living out his final years with my parents in Washington state and I was in California.

But I know from other Dobe owners that lasix often gives an array of symptoms--including appetite loss (Vetmedin doesn't usually affect appetite) so hopefully adjusting the meds will fix the reaction you got for that first dosage. Vetmedin is generally well dealt with and usually doesn't have any contrindications if the dose is correct (dosage is computed by dogs weight) and I know a lot of Dobes who have been on both lasix and Vetmedian without the scarey reaction you and Spock got.

I am so sorry that you had that kind of thing happen with Spock and had to live a horrid night and hope they can get the drug adjusted since both really make a lot of difference in how the dog feels. Thinking good thought and keeping fingers crossed for both Spock and Eva.

ABTLH

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,175
Good morning everyone!

Hope all has been well - not much new here. Working from home still, although have had to go in a few times and will do so next week.

Still have to finish my hat sewing project...been a bit lazy - well on most things lately.

My wife finished up my pajama bottoms. I "helped" supervise. Patterns seem to be hit or miss for sizing. Measuring my waist and hips came down to medium size. Put pattern on the fabric we had and cut out one leg. Then found out we mis-measured (eye-balled) the fabric and was going to be a bit short for the next leg. Wife had a plan to put a stripe down the outside seam to make up the difference.

When we (ha she) finished sewing I could fit inside one leg. So she did some surgery and now they are just over-sized.

Here are a couple of pictures - I think she did awesome job. The patterns match pretty good. Especially as the print didn't want to line up with the pattern very well...

Better view of the stripe she added...which in the end if we would have used small we would have not needed it....She also used my existing pjs for pants length.

Anyways I like them a lot and will be nice and warm and comfy as we go into fall.
Time for some levity.

Ma? Is "anyways" a word? I get onto Mister and my brother about that. My Dad, an executive, got scolded years ago for saying anyways.

Picking on you Davy!

:grin2:

That's your punishment for abandoning us.

Yeah! I said it!

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,176
Hey Cuz!!!

My tank delivery guy is a cutie!

His name is Arthur and he called himself a beaner!

I laughed my ass off. Told him I lived with a Mexican for 10 years and was a bit uncomfortable with the term beaner. But I couldn't stop laughing.

He also complimented my property.

Very nice beaner.

LMAO!

·
Premium Member
8,755 Posts
Back from the Vets !

1. SD- Hey man - don't give up the ship on Spock , I have read on here that with Meds they lie on to a ripe ole age . Soory to here that news - But now you know what your dealing with and and help him get straighten out :2smile:

2. We are YOUR friends on here No need to Apologize about posting it up here !

3. Yes SP - your right - Laura will track up threw Arkansas - heavy rain , maybe up to 5 inches or more .

4. Laura is only 5 mph from a Cat 4 .

5. TN - as of now , it looks like the center may track right threw you .

6. Vet trip , I handed Kadin off at the door - the have a double set of them - tech stayed inside and I handed him off to her , Poor boy , he looked back at me and cried - lol Vet called me and went over everything , She was laughing and said that Kadin did great in there and he loved Mandie and He gave them plenty of kisses and was very happy , He has always liked going in there , It's been to long since he's been out in public - that will change as of today ! These dogs really need to be out in public .

7. Did I say it's hot here ? :grin2:

8. Everybody have a great day :grin2:

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,532 Posts
Back from the Vets !

1. SD- Hey man - don't give up the ship on Spock , I have read on here that with Meds they lie on to a ripe ole age . Soory to here that news - But now you know what your dealing with and and help him get straighten out :2smile:

2. We are YOUR friends on here No need to Apologize about posting it up here !

3. Yes SP - your right - Laura will track up threw Arkansas - heavy rain , maybe up to 5 inches or more .

4. Laura is only 5 mph from a Cat 4 .

5. TN - as of now , it looks like the center may track right threw you .

6. Vet trip , I handed Kadin off at the door - the have a double set of them - tech stayed inside and I handed him off to her , Poor boy , he looked back at me and cried - lol Vet called me and went over everything , She was laughing and said that Kadin did great in there and he loved Mandie and He gave them plenty of kisses and was very happy , He has always liked going in there , It's been to long since he's been out in public - that will change as of today ! These dogs really need to be out in public .

7. Did I say it's hot here ? :grin2:

8. Everybody have a great day :grin2:
Whichever way it decides to go, I hope we get some much needed rain!

·
Alpha schmalpha
3,900 Posts
i have been real happy with my ability of "fixen" things here lately...went to mow my home lawn yesterday and about half through it was cutting out and running poorly. I did the usual cleaned the carb, changed fuels and blew everything with the air compressor and still the same issue:frown3: I picked up a hammer and did some tapping and little banging and started running like a champ...cut the rest of the yard with a big smile on my face.
Today the big truck would not start. I had electrical power everywhere except turning the engine over. Spent most of the morning tracking wires, voltage testing , looking for some hidden fuse boxes. I was starting to get bummed about having to call a wrecker and hiring another truck to do my loads and went looking for the hammer. No banging just well placed taps... i was feeling like a pro today! It cranked right up , all missions were accomplished.
Ladies and gents do not underestimate the ability of the hammer to solve your problems.
For those that are interested i used a 16oz wood handle/ claw on the lawn mower and 20oz steel on the big truck.
That Rooster is starting to act up also...>:)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Spock, can't tell you how sorry I am to read what you have been dealing with. So glad you shared with your CT friends. I feel like we know your dogs. You got Spock the same time we got our Duggan.
Your post brought me to tears knowing the feeling of helplessness in trying to help. Just hoping the meds even out and can give you more time with the boy.

38161 - 38180 of 40171 Posts