Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

38141 - 38160 of 39835 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Aw, I just clicked back on CT to see what everyone was up to and did what Mel did awhile back. I started from the beginning! And did not know it. I was thinking, what is everyone talking about?
Got so confused. Mel, it is sad.

I am so concerned about my kids near Beaumont and Rosemary, too. Worried.

·
Big Lil pup
6,115 Posts
Mrs. TN called me from the park this morning; as she was finishing up her walk and heading back to the car, the parking lot was full of cop cars, ambulances and fire trucks.

Meth lab discovered in a car at Dunbar Cave State Park

The world is truly going to hell in a hand basket. What is wrong with people today?
What ever you do... Stay away from Portland OR these days! The chaos and lack of government control is absolutely mind boggling.

STJ!

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Danged if I know Frank but a few years ago there was a report of a full blown meth lab found operating in the basement kitchen in a local church in one of the "higher class" areas in Los Angeles.

I was back in Portland by then but I had much the same reaction--what on earth is wrong with these people.

And we won't even talk about the morning I went to the grocery store and came back to find my SO and his good buddy racing snails souped up on crank. I can't even repeat what I said about that...it would surely sent me directly to the woodshed without passing go.

ABTLH
If people want to smoke some weed, I get it but meth? Knowing what it does to you in a very short amount of time, plus not knowing who made it or what's in it. Nope, nope, nope.

Hey TN - Has Rosemary headed out yet ? I sure hope they are OK and haul azz away from it .
Not sure but I hope so, I saw the long lines heading out on the news this evening.

Aw, I just clicked back on CT to see what everyone was up to and did what Mel did awhile back. I started from the beginning! And did not know it. I was thinking, what is everyone talking about?
Got so confused. Mel, it is sad.

I am so concerned about my kids near Beaumont and Rosemary, too. Worried.
Bwahahaha, don't feel bad, I bet everyone here has done it at least once...they may not admit it but oh yeah :wink2: . It's happened to me a couple times and I was the same way, thinking what the heck are they talking about? :grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
What ever you do... Stay away from Portland OR these days! The chaos and lack of government control is absolutely mind boggling.

STJ!
I am sick about what is happening in Portland. I love Portland. I was born there as was my Dad in 1900 and my GrDad in 1870. Beautiful city and is Seattle.

John, maybe it is time to move to Montana? When things get crazy I always say, 'Time to move to Idaho (cabin)'. The time may come. Who knows.

·
Premium Member
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,147
We're back from Spock's vet appt., heart okay, some respiratory congestion detected. He's on course of Doxycycline for 2-weeks. Wander if he caught something from Eva? Stopped by drive-thru coffee kiosk on way back home to get dad's triple decaf and a double Pup-a-chino for Spock to take his medication with...

He had another night of coughing fits last night. Per PetMD suggestion for cough treatment, took him into steamy shower stall about once/hour until he settled down around 0200 and finally went sound to sleep. This definitely helped, in conjunction with with cupped hand tapping of his rib cage at lungs.

During entire vet outing and return Spock didn't have a single coughing spell, although I was hoping vet would witness one. Took him on a round the block walk after return and he did great. The side effects of Doxycycline include nausea/vomiting and lethargy- none so far. Also read rare side effect is increased pressure in head which can affect vision. (Reminds me of the Dober myth about brains outgrowing skull!) :wink2:

Per MC's inquiry, Spock has never had a holter cardiac test. He is our first Doberman, so maybe we'll be more diligent with next one, although DW says no more needy Dobes in future! :2surprise:
Surely you all heard the rumor that Dobermans are so mean and the reason why is because their brains never stop growing (size wise). Their brain just keeps growing and that is why they turn mean.

People are stupid.

I think you should keep on keeping on when it comes to Dobes. DW will eventually get over it.

:grin2:

·
Premium Member
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,148

STJ!
Howdy BHB#1!

Local government doesn't have a choice but to let the thugs go.

OKC area cops are quitting and taking early retirement. Cops have no teeth anymore because they are afraid of not going home after their shift. I am sick of all this $hit. If you want to de-fund law enforcement who are you going to call when your husband is beating you? Ghost Busters?

It's as simple as, when you get pulled over or detained comply. Duh!

Oops! I think I ranted there!

I apologize.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,792 Posts
The violence and destruction that is going on has grown very far away from the original concern with cop justice—it's not being run by those protesters anymore. But some are still treating it as if it were just a simple protest. Nothing simple about this mess, IMO—I don't know how we'll get it all calmed down.

I'm just keeping my head down, minding the house, the kids and the animals, and hoping that sometime, the sooner the better, people will come to their senses and settle down to really figuring out what needs to stay and what needs to be changed. Colorado Springs is a conservative town with lots of military, both active and retired (Air Force Academy, Peterson Air Force Base, Fort Carson Military Base) so I don't think that things will be allowed to get too far out of control here.

Denver may be another matter. The Governor has done a good job with the CoVid thing and is doing a decent job with the "protests", I think, but it is up to the city mayors and councils to keep the peace in their own jurisdictions. So I'm crossing my fingers.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,792 Posts
Now that I've said my piece :2smile:, I would like to ask (demand??) that we keep rampant partisan politics out of this thread for the most part. It's a very tense time, and those discussions can blow up to unmanageable proportions almost instantaneously, even among friends.

·
Big Lil pup
6,115 Posts
A small taste of what's been going on here for almost 3 months:

https://katu.com/news/local/riot-declared-after-fire-lit-at-police-union-building-in-north-portland

We also have an out of control homeless situation, with all the associated crime and illegal encampments. Not to mention a previously unheard of (for Portland) incidence of shootings and homicides.

Yeah Bonnie. Montana sounds pretty good. As a bonus, there is very little Covid there. As an added bonus, the cost of living is reasonable as opposed to Portland in recent years.

Unfortunately, my wife would never leave Portland as her base of business. And she would NEVER move away from the grandkids.

Oh well.. It was good for almost 50 years.

STJ!

·
Premium Member
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,153
TN --- I googled up the GT - it said they go for 500,000 to 750,000 - The one in the dealership is a cheap one - LOL the 750 one is a "Liquid Carbon" GT - They coat the carbon fiber with a clear coat . Carbon fiber is naturally Black .

Yes, I would love to take it around the road course and Mid America , VIR or Road America . :grin2:
Crap! I only need about $20K for a kick A$$ barn. None of your fancy race cars will make it down my road.

Yeah! I said it!

0:)

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Yeah that Ma's on it , isn't she - the voice of reason . Well , I guess thats why Mel and Meadowcat are Mods and the rest of us aren't - LOL :grin2::grin2:

But sometimes - reason can sure screw up a good rant - and fists flying OR a good cat fight - LOL

I hate this kind f weather we have been having - heat index at 101 to 105 - or is that what they call --- Feel like temps ? :grin2:

Hope that Rosemary and her family has a safe Evac . I guess my heat is OK after what they are going threw - right ?

Cranked up snail races ?? I can see a new TV coming this fall ! I'm just saying - they have Naked and Afraid - That has to be the dumbest blanking show ever ! Housewife's of ? Pick any city - Who cares - lol Also racks up there with the dumbest shows ever

Staying up with the Kardashian's ? You have to be kidding me ! Worthless - totally worthless ! LOL

Guess I better get going - I have YKW laying on my lap .

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
You called it, Kenny. Laura may hit cat 4 strength before landfall with storm surge possible up to 30 (30!) miles inland. And if the track holds true, we're expecting some weather here in TN this weekend as what's left of the storm passes over us.

Mrs. TN is off to do her morning miles in the park, I'm teleworking in my jammies with a nice, hot cup of coffee, and yep, Mocha had another morning with small, firm poops.

Life is good :2smile:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Good morning everyone!

Hope all has been well - not much new here. Working from home still, although have had to go in a few times and will do so next week.

Still have to finish my hat sewing project...been a bit lazy - well on most things lately.

My wife finished up my pajama bottoms. I "helped" supervise. Patterns seem to be hit or miss for sizing. Measuring my waist and hips came down to medium size. Put pattern on the fabric we had and cut out one leg. Then found out we mis-measured (eye-balled) the fabric and was going to be a bit short for the next leg. Wife had a plan to put a stripe down the outside seam to make up the difference.

When we (ha she) finished sewing I could fit inside one leg. So she did some surgery and now they are just over-sized.

Here are a couple of pictures - I think she did awesome job. The patterns match pretty good. Especially as the print didn't want to line up with the pattern very well...

Better view of the stripe she added...which in the end if we would have used small we would have not needed it....She also used my existing pjs for pants length.

Anyways I like them a lot and will be nice and warm and comfy as we go into fall.

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
You called it, Kenny. Laura may hit cat 4 strength before landfall with storm surge possible up to 30 (30!) miles inland. And if the track holds true, we're expecting some weather here in TN this weekend as what's left of the storm passes over us.

Mrs. TN is off to do her morning miles in the park, I'm teleworking in my jammies with a nice, hot cup of coffee, and yep, Mocha had another morning with small, firm poops.

Life is good :2smile:
So Glad that Mocha girl is doing better !

TN- Laura is still 288 miles out and hit a 3 - , that gives plenty of time to hit a 4 - but now worried she will go a 5 . 30 miles inland ? Unbelievable Thats from our house to Indy !

Got to get the truck ready , Kadins trip to the Vet day for shots .

Have a great day !

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,726 Posts
Spock Possible Cardic Issue - Maybe DCM

I'm sitting here @0530 next to Spock, on his favorite loveseat and he's finally getting a sound sleep after another terrible night. :|

Sorry to introduce a down post in the normally upbeat Chicken Thread, but I feel comfortable discussing Spock's recent decline here with my chicken peeps. Later, I'll start a new thread for both Spock and Eva in the Doberman Health forum. (also, sorry for long post)

After Bug's response to my initial Spock posts about his coughing, we decided to go to 2nd vet after all, yesterday morning, since the onset of his symptoms came so suddenly on Sunday morning. (I ponder now, that his "night terror" incidents of 5th and 15th August might have been two precursor cardiac events)

Spock and Eva's regular vet for more than 8 years suddenly left the clinic just a short while ago and didn't tell anyone where she was going! I even emailed her with Spock's symptoms on Sunday and stated we would be coming in first thing Monday to clinic for exam. When we got there, a new DVM was present, very nice, but apparently inexperienced with Dobes or DCM. We got the prescription for the Doxycycline antibiotic and proceeded home, but still unsure about cough? As mentioned in previous post the antibiotic appeared to work and lessened frequency and depth of his severe coughing spells over Monday night.

On Tuesday morning, we had our normal round the block walk and pondered going to 2nd vet, who our breeder has used for many years. Spock started out at this vet as a puppy for a couple years. Got first appointment available in morning and took. Lady DVM there, very experienced, middle to late age examined Spock, who by that time in mid morning hadn't had a coughing spell for an hour. We explained about coming to rule in/out CHF DCM for Spock, as previous new vet just said lung infection. Did chest X-ray, EKG, followed by Echo gram of heart using Oncura remote diagnostics equipment. DVM says looks initially like cardiac problem. We'll get full Oncura report this morning. Good note: DVM & techs as second vet's office all loved Spock, didn't need any sedative for scary X-ray or ultrasound machines, just acted very calm.

As Bug has described in the numerous DCM threads, this disease can only be detected by Echograms or 24 hr. Holter monitoring, before symptoms start By then it's rather late to prevent, as in Spock's case, and can only be treated to prolong the inevitable.

2nd Vet issued Lasix and Vetmedin for Spock to start on when I went back to pick him up, near closing time of 6PM. At this point Spock was just about free of any coughing events and acting almost normal, except being at vet's office most of the day. Spock didn't eat much food for dinner after coming home and I did a stupid thing... Started him on two new medications at once and after normal vet hours!..:frown3:

The Lasix is just a diuretic to reduce fluid retention, but the Vetmedin are big honkin' horse pills that directly affect heart pumping and blood flow. About 30 minutes after giving him the medications he started having dry heaves, but no discharge, every 5 minutes. Also, some drooling and bit of foaming at mouth. I felt terrible to have caused him additional anguish over the coughing he already had.

This lasted for 7 hours which Spock was like a zombie Dobe, wouldn't drink, eat or settle down. His ears were in fixed semi up position and didn't respond normally to us. Every time he tried to lay down for a bit, he'd end up getting up to dry heave in corner of room. Frequency lessened so we decided to ride it out. I walked him many times around yard and in front of house. Curiously, Spock resorted back to his puppy digging habits, maybe out of frustration with this condition, so I kept him on a lead outside.

After midnight it stopped, no more heaving, he started normal Dober whining, which was actually good to hear- no more zombie Dobe. He started drinking water then and we went outside for his FIRST pee since nausea started many hours prior, even with Lasix! Finally by 2AM he was able to lay down and sleep. Spock is obviously intolerant of the Vetmedin medication.

Back to vet this morning, after Spock recharges. Needless to say, I'm devastated by his rapid decline in health, but not surprised due to his age. His indomitable Doberman spirit is being drained from him in front of our eyes. I almost wish he might just pass peacefully in his sleep at night, so we don't have to face him on that dreadful day, in the near future, when the big decision is made for him.... :crying:

Spock's now awakening and showing me his belly for a rub, even in his poor condition, showing his truly loving, sweet nature... :2smile:

Epilogue: To compound situation, Eva has resumed up an occasional cough again last night, very minor compared to Spock' coughing two days ago. Both are same age, so we knew up front this was likely when adopting her in 2012.

38141 - 38160 of 39835 Posts