Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

37401 - 37420 of 39969 Posts

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Denny - Now I'm not kidding you here ! But my Mentor told me they are done ------ Well - When they're done :grin2::grin2: True story ! :wink2::2smile:
Over the years I've posted a lot of dogs who were supposed to have standing ears after they were cropped (and one German Shepherd whose normally upright ears weren't exactly upright) and in the course of doing that if there was any one question that was asked practically every time it was yours.

"How do you tell when they're done?"

And basically, because there are so many variables that come into play when posting cropped ears (like who cropped them, style, length, cartilage and persistence of posting--the answer has remained the same--"When they're done..."

Considering that I've had everything from the puppy with an extremely long show crop whose ears stood perfectly and permanently after two posting (which meant his ear posting was finished at 3.5 months. To the dog who had one standing ear at 4 months and one that took another 18 months before it stood permanently I don't even try to guess any more.

If I'm posting ears for someone we go from posting to posting and when I think they are done the owner goes home with instructions about taking the ears down first thing in the morning and seeing if they wilt at all through the day--and if they survive the first night down--rinse and repeat--at any sign of floppiness they get reposted. Until they don't need to be reposted.

If the owner is doing the posting they send me pictures or bring the puppy around to see me on a day that they are going to take the ears down and repost--I look at the ears out of posts and either say, "Needs more posting." or "He's done!"

There just isn't a good formula for how long it takes. If you think of one let me know.

ABTLH

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,739 Posts
Anybody want to help clean out a bin this afternoon ? Knowing how to operate a scoop shovel and broom is a must ! :grin2:

Sunflower seed bin, possibly?

No, definitely not, nada, nein, nyet, non, nee, zilch!!
:2surprise:

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/woman-drowns-in-huge-vat-of-sunflower-seeds-as-she-helped-two-trucks-unload.3605549/

Hey, but I know a certain unnamed person, who is currently "under utilized" (PC for unemployed), that might be able to help.

This person would be available after finishing up washing dishes. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Sunflower seed bin, possibly?

No, definitely not, nada, nein, nyet, non, nee, zilch!!
:2surprise:

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/woman-drowns-in-huge-vat-of-sunflower-seeds-as-she-helped-two-trucks-unload.3605549/

Hey, but I know a certain unnamed person, who is currently "under utilized" (PC for unemployed), that might be able to help.

This person would be available after finishing up washing dishes. :grin2:
Farm help IS so hard to find :frown3::frown3:

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Over the years I've posted a lot of dogs who were supposed to have standing ears after they were cropped (and one German Shepherd whose normally upright ears weren't exactly upright) and in the course of doing that if there was any one question that was asked practically every time it was yours.

"How do you tell when they're done?"

And basically, because there are so many variables that come into play when posting cropped ears (like who cropped them, style, length, cartilage and persistence of posting--the answer has remained the same--"When they're done..."

Considering that I've had everything from the puppy with an extremely long show crop whose ears stood perfectly and permanently after two posting (which meant his ear posting was finished at 3.5 months. To the dog who had one standing ear at 4 months and one that took another 18 months before it stood permanently I don't even try to guess any more.

If I'm posting ears for someone we go from posting to posting and when I think they are done the owner goes home with instructions about taking the ears down first thing in the morning and seeing if they wilt at all through the day--and if they survive the first night down--rinse and repeat--at any sign of floppiness they get reposted. Until they don't need to be reposted.

If the owner is doing the posting they send me pictures or bring the puppy around to see me on a day that they are going to take the ears down and repost--I look at the ears out of posts and either say, "Needs more posting." or "He's done!"

There just isn't a good formula for how long it takes. If you think of one let me know.

ABTLH
After reading your post Bug - This is just unbelievable ! Everything you wrote is what my mentor told me , almost word for word !!! All I can say is we have to have the same Mentor ! --- Wow -- Small World !

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,516 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,516 Posts
I took the whole day off today because I had no idea how long Mocha would be at the vet's, so just in case they found something and she had to have surgery I wanted to be there...well, once we came home, I needed to unwind some so I went out back and took a few pics.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,825 Posts
Oh dear—the butterfly's legs in that first picture make me itchy :frown3::wink2: I think somehow the legs and face in that pic look sorta mosquito-ey.

But I love looking at the hairs on insects—it's something you don't typically get to see when they're out there at a distance and zipping around.

Though I do remember the time I pushed my way through the hedge behind our house (I was a kid then, what can I say) and bumped my head into a big wasp nest hidden in the leaves. I was stung five times before I got far enough away (and I was booking it) that they quit chasing me and went back to their nest. The first one gave me a mighty sting right next to my eye. I vividly remember seeing this very fuzzy thing up close and personal. Blurry, but furry.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
So Moe whats next on your list of adventures ?
You play piano, guitar,drums, cook, clean, plumbing, landscaper, dog trainer, and yoga.
What’s next on your list of dreams?
Don't forget he can sew!
I like your wife! Does she quilt?

Ha LadyDi - at best I dabble in many things....that old saying jack of all trades master of none...... Once I get done with the hat, I am going to make some PJ bottoms. Hmm let's see, what could be next. Will have to think about that :grin2:

SP - So she just started doing some quilting how-to small projects. Here are some photos of what she has been working on. She is working on a 3x3 or so small quilt currently.

Guess I better get off - it is thundering and lightning pretty good here now.

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #37,415

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #37,416 (Edited)
Ha LadyDi - at best I dabble in many things....that old saying jack of all trades master of none...... Once I get done with the hat, I am going to make some PJ bottoms. Hmm let's see, what could be next. Will have to think about that :grin2:

SP - So she just started doing some quilting how-to small projects. Here are some photos of what she has been working on. She is working on a 3x3 or so small quilt currently.

Awesome!

So cute!

If you are giving out Jammie pants for Christmas or say upcoming birthdays, I like the fleece fabric!

:grin2:

I basically live in fluffy PJ pants!

Hint Hint.

:wink2:

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #37,417
Oh dear—the butterfly's legs in that first picture make me itchy :frown3::wink2: I think somehow the legs and face in that pic look sorta mosquito-ey.

But I love looking at the hairs on insects—it's something you don't typically get to see when they're out there at a distance and zipping around.

Though I do remember the time I pushed my way through the hedge behind our house (I was a kid then, what can I say) and bumped my head into a big wasp nest hidden in the leaves. I was stung five times before I got far enough away (and I was booking it) that they quit chasing me and went back to their nest. The first one gave me a mighty sting right next to my eye. I vividly remember seeing this very fuzzy thing up close and personal. Blurry, but furry.
Have you never let a butterfly land on you? They aren't itchy at all!

When I lived in Kansas there was a farm that always did an amaizing corn maze every year. (see what I did there?) :grin2:

They also had a butterfly tent that you could walk into. I didn't have a panic attack because butterflies touched me.

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #37,418
I took the whole day off today because I had no idea how long Mocha would be at the vet's, so just in case they found something and she had to have surgery I wanted to be there...well, once we came home, I needed to unwind some so I went out back and took a few pics.

What did I miss, TN?

What's up with Mocha?

How did I miss this?

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #37,419

Well , I guess there is a new boss here ! Took over the bosses chair this morning after post take down , got to go and repost :grin2:
Dearest Bro Kenny,

0:)

As you should know, I am looking for ideas for my home office which contains quite a lot and still has space. I just need to see what you have going space wise so I can plan my color pallet for my own space. Will you please oblige?

Mister's new storage unit ready for me to add to!

0:)

:x

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #37,420

When do we get to see a pic of you and Mrs Davy?

TN caved. It's okay for you to cave too.

Come to think of it, we don't know what Mrs Beau looks like.

Umm.

Kenny?

You are on the hit list too!

:grin2:

37401 - 37420 of 39969 Posts