Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to think a lot of digestive disorders are cause by the type of fiber our dogs get from their foods.
not sure about this, but i am starting to investigate this a bit more.

so..............can you guys try and find out what the source of fiber is in each of your dogs brand/type of food you feed and post it here? Please. :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Mabel gets the canidae als and it has: brown rice, white rice, rice bran, oatmeal, cracked pearled barley, and millet

She does just fine on it, but I like your idea to see if there's a certain grain that seems to be the dober trigger besides your corn and wheats. Personally I always like the rice because it seems to help the dogs we've had with sens. stomachs and probably prevents it in the others.

"CANIDAE All Natural Ingredients
Chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, peas, potatoes, oatmeal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), millet, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed meal, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, suncured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta-carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, papaya, pineapple."

Reactions: Darkevs

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is not just the grain fiber that they list in the ingredients that i am wondering about., i wonder if any fiber sources are not listed.......you know added to but just referred to as part of the percentage of fiber present in a brand of food.

I sent off an email to purina just to see what they say is their total fiber source in the brand i feed my guys...............

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Good thought, or even ones that get in much like foreign proteins in other foods simply from being left on the line. Aka they made benful before your purina (just two I thought of first) so then traces of corn get in your purina and your dog has a reaction. Be interesting to see what sort of pr response you get or if they are trully honest.

I'm so glad I dont have allergy dogs and she gets half raw so the kibble is limited as it is!

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:)

yes................how honest will they be?

but until i feel they are giving me the facts on their fiber souce......i will just keep asking.............politely of course. :)

my dogs do well on the brand i feed, never had any digestive issues, bloat, gastritis etc., knock on wood, but my dogs do eat a lot of 'natural' fiber sources too, they always have.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
:)

yes................how honest will they be?

but until i feel they are giving me the facts on their fiber souce......i will just keep asking.............politely of course. :)

my dogs do well on the brand i feed, never had any digestive issues, bloat, gastritis etc., knock on wood, but my dogs do eat a lot of 'natural' fiber sources too, they always have.
Same here except there fiber is well "recycled" :uuuh_2d_silly: thankfully we've been able to curb it for the most part though...knock on wood!

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hahaha........you should see what Pearl eats during the day.........................she will follow the goats, chickens, ducks....and wait for them tooooooooooooooo....****e. :)

but my dogs do not look at their own poop for 'fiber'. :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Lol at least she likes it fresh, mabels the worst in winter, I think she thinks they're special popsicles or crunchy treats :vomit-smiley:

I dont think she even likes them as much as the last dog did it(always "starving" lab) so now she does and its fun to gross mom out ....

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmmmm, eating their own poop is a 'symptom' , a bad habit or they are starving ( I mean reallllllly starving, not just always hungry)...............wonder why your's are/did do/doing it?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
For mabel it's a habit because if nobody's looking or showing interest she's not at all as interested as when I'm outside to annoy or when they're frozen and fun toys (ick) to run around with,
For the last one jetta we have a feeling it had to do with being on the wrong food/nutrition for the season. She only did it in the summer then we changed food and she stopped for awhile then picked up again and never stopped even with the different deterrent pills, so I think it had turned into habit for the garbage gutt.
Of course in those instances I'm talking about wanting their own, the rabbit poo is a different and understandable story, like pearl and the farm critters.

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks Patches Mom.

this is the type of info. i am looking for.

i am never quite sure what some dog food companies add to their brands under the name of fiber! :)

have heard that newspaper is used as well as other 'things' too to bring up the fiber percentage.

and just how much fiber does a dog need in a day?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Hmm...I am not sure what fiber is in a raw food diet. Does a dog really need fiber as people do? I couldnt imagine a feral dog searching for fiber. :lol2:

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
well actually.........i think they get a lot of their needed fiber from the partially digested forage in grazing animals/prey stomachs...........but i could be wrong.

is hair or feathers considered fiber?

do meat eating predators only eat meat? do they not eat any greens, fruit, dirt, rotten wood, etc.

have you ever looked closely at a wild meat eating predators stools? You would be amazed at the fiberous content. :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
well actually.........i think they get a lot of their needed fiber from the partially digested forage in grazing animals/prey stomachs...........but i could be wrong.

is hair or feathers considered fiber?

do meat eating predators only eat meat? do they not eat any greens, fruit, dirt, rotten wood, etc.

have you ever looked closely at a wild meat eating predators stools? You would be amazed at the fiberous content. :)
From watching Kyrah eat a couple squirrels fur and all. The first one she puked the fur back up IMO meaning she couldnt digest it. The second one she had been eating raw longer and I never saw any fur again not even in her poop. She searches for squirrel poop every morning under the oak tree. Well, anyways thats what I have narrowed it down to what she is searching and eating off the ground in the mornings. Ugh, and that nasty cat sh**! Yes, she got lucky Sat and got to it before I could stop her. She doesnt chew sticks much anymore but she loves to eat grass like a dobergoat! I have to remind her everyday she is not one. My other two will occasionally select a piece of grass or two to eat. But Kyrah is steady trying to graze. I know I shouldnt have planted that darn rye grass!

Yes, you could be right b/c free range meat is prefered in a raw food diet instead of the meat we purchase that is full of all the crap we humans put into it. I couldnt help myself with my first post. :) I was being a smarta**. Yes, wild animals that eat freely their poop is quite fiberous. One of my other dogs would go out and clean any rabbit poop that was in the backyard everymorning. I know its not good but I couldnt stop her and thankfully she never became ill b/c of it.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Mabel gets the canidae als and it has: brown rice, white rice, rice bran, oatmeal, cracked pearled barley, and millet

She does just fine on it, but I like your idea to see if there's a certain grain that seems to be the dober trigger besides your corn and wheats. Personally I always like the rice because it seems to help the dogs we've had with sens. stomachs and probably prevents it in the others.

"CANIDAE All Natural Ingredients
Chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, peas, potatoes, oatmeal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), millet, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed meal, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, suncured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta-carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, papaya, pineapple."
^^^^ AMY ate Canidae ALS kibble for many years.
Then a 50/50 blend of Canidae & Holistic Blend Lamb & Rice kibble only.
- then switch to home cooking with free feed kibble blend
Now Holistic-Blend L&R + home cooking (meat/veggies/rice).............great kibble, Canadian made.

HOLISTIC BLEND All Life Stages, Lamb & Rice Guaranteed Analysis
- Crude Protein 22 % min
- Crude Fat 8 % min
- Moisture 10 % max
- Crude Fibre 5 % max
- Crude Ash 10 % max
- Omega 6 Fatty Acids 4.5 % min
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids 0.61 % min

Highlights
Free Range New Zealand Lamb (Human Grade/No By-Products or Rendered Meats)
Naturally Preserved (Rosemary)
Holistic & Conventional Vet. Recommended
Chelated minerals, whole grains, fruits, antioxidants and herbs
Promotes healthy skin and coat
Hypo-allergenic
Highly digestible and palatable
Balanced Omega 6 & 3 fatty acids (5-2 ratio)
Ingredients allow for smaller feeding portions

Why Choose the Original Holistic Blend All Life Stages Lamb & Rice formula for Canines?
DOES HAVE.......................DOES NOT HAVE
Lamb Meal........................Animal By-Products
Millet...............................Poultry Fat
Whole Brown Rice..............BHA/BHT
Barley...............................Ethoxyquin
Wild Salmon Meal...............Corn
Flax Seed...........................Wheat or Wheat Gluten
Alfalfa...............................Sugar
Cranberries.........................Salt
Garlic................................Soya
Cinnamon..........................Beet Pulp
Rosemary..........................Growth Hormones/Antibiotics

*Metabolisable energy evaluated as per AAFCO calculation method 390 Kcal/g (per cup). A standard Measuring cup contains 226.8g (8oz.)

INGREDIENTS:
Lamb meal, whole ground millet, whole ground brown rice, whole ground barley, wild salmon meal, yeast culture, flax meal, sunflower oil, alfalfa, L-lysine, cranberries, yucca schidigera extract, garlic powder, cinnamon powder, rosemary extract. Vitamins: choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, niacin, vitamin A acetate, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin K1 supplement, folic acid. Minerals: calcium carbonate, ferrous sulphate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, zinc proteinate, sodium selenite, manganese proteinate, colbalt sulphate, calcium iodate, copper proteinate.

For additional information regarding the ingredients, please consult our Ingredients Review page.

No chemical preservatives or dyes are added to keep the colour of the food consistent. Colour may vary but the quality is always the same. High quality foods!

For more information see the Lamb and Rice Formula - Holistic Blend

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
another question...........how much of the fiber in your dogs diet is............soluble fiber and how much is insoluble fiber?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I had typed out a long reply and my explorer crashed *sigh*

IMO it is the type of starches used in dog food that causes issues.
Be it wheat, corn, soy, rice, potatoes, tapioca, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), peas

That IMO is why a lot of dogs dont do well on the high protein kibbles. Not because of the high protein. But because of the potatoes. Very few high protein kibble does not have potatoes.
(Natures Variety Instinct uses tapioca instead of potatoes, Dogswell Nutrisca uses peas and chickpeas instead of potatoes)

Wysong has a new starch free dog food. Epigen. But it also has a lot of vegetable proteins in it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts