Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This girl is just amazing ! Meadowcat replied that all dogs are great all the time , I beg to differ with her but after driving to Shelbyville and back - driving time is a good thinking time , I hate to say this and don't any of you tell MC I said this , But I will have to agree with her -- again : )))

The point is , this morning , it was getting ready to pour again , the WP was needing to go out , I let her out while I went and got my shoes , I looked lout the door and could not see her , Ken thought , wonder what that little chit is up to , not only I couldn't see her , it was also very quite - Dobermans and quite are never a good thing , by now the rain was picking up , I called her and this very well trained Dober was know where in site , I put on my shoes and looked to the gate and there she was - this was the first thing I saw

Then I saw this !

Mud ! You should have seen the mud packed in between her toes , she high tailed to the back door as now it was raining pretty good , mud all over the glass , I wouldn't let her in ! I got her ball and threw it out pretty good and she took after it , with all the wet grass and the rain , by the time she got back to the door , her paws were pretty clean , then as I was getting ready to as her why she was digging ( This is a new thing ) This what I seen

Oh dad -- I'm sorry , and how about a belly rub ?

Mel nailed it - This is where we get our stories from and I'm telling you the truth here - By the time the WP is 2 - She will be working on her 6th edition of her book series , LOL

Yes - Meadow was right , there great all the time : ))

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well the WP was really working I just found out ! I just let her back out and back to the mud hole she went - digging up a storm and then a field mouse jumped out and under the gate to get away - That is why she was digging .

What a great Girl the WP is ---- LOL

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,768 Posts
Don't believe her. She was digging the hole for the mouse to stay in while it was raining. Naturally once the weather let up it was time for Mr. Mouse to leave....

The trick with a digging dog is to teach her to fill the hole back up when she's done. There is one place where Hairy digs if he is left outside too long. He actually picked a very good place, except if he gets too enthusiastic he kicks dirt and pea gravel onto the patio.

Anyway, I go out and put a few branches or a stump into the hole from time to time to discourage him--he just moves his hole over a little and starts up again. I guess it's a dog thing.

·
Premium Member
Mocha
4,229 Posts
Digging - about 38 years ago I had a German Shepherd (Samson) whose hobby it was to dig moon-sized craters in the backyard. I got tired of it so I bought a book on dog training and they said to fill one of the holes with water, then stick the dog's nose in it and voila! the digging would stop (I can see some of you shaking your head right now). I was skeptical but decided to give it a try. Well, whoever wrote that book was obviously training a dachshund or cocker spaniel...because, imagine trying to grab a 75-pound dog and stick its nose into muddy water. Hilarity ensued. Samson 1, me 0. I was totally covered in mud, his nose stayed dry, and he continued to dig holes in the backyard, with my blessing.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,896 Posts
I know exactly which book you are talking about. William Koehler had some pretty barbaric methods.

·
Super Moderator
22,190 Posts
She's trying to tell you she wants to take barn hunt lessons.....!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,768 Posts
I had to laugh at Hairy when we first brought him home (rescued at 2 years old) We have an open yard with a small pen up against the house that is fenced, for garbage cans, wheelbarrows, and the like. One of the first things he did was to dig along that fence to get INTO the pen.

I figure he must have been fence enclosed at some point and had found out that if you dig along a fence line, you can go interesting places.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think MC may be right - She loves to hunt - super prey drive , just like Mr. Business has . I have to get a video of Mr. B stocking me , I will be honest he , a few times , I called his name to be easy on ole dad - I would hate to be somebody he don't know , lol That look will put the fear of grace in you . lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Would that be something like this, Ken?

(We'll have to see if the DT auto-sensor lets this one through without a warning.)
You owe me some cleaning supplies for posting that picture!

Spit my darn milk out when I saw that. Thank god I missed anything electronic but still cost me several paper towels to clean it all up! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts