Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooo ive been online and i was thinking about getting my pups ears done. he is in his 11th week and i had already talked to a vet about doing my pups but he said it has to be before the end of this week. just wanted to see what to expect right after the surgery he said it would be a bit bloody and messy but only while the healing is going on. i wanna see if i could handle seeing my pup in any pain. please. and thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
If you are unsure then it's probably a good idea to not crop the ears. If you want cropped ears this is why it's so important to purchase a puppy from a reputable breeder, one who has every puppy in the litter cropped prior to sending them on to their new homes!

If you are serious about getting the ears cropped you need to do it very very soon, and you need to be sure the vet you're going to is a doberman ear cropping expert. Members here can recommend a cropping expert in your area if you ask.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ive already looked at recomended vets and one of ems in santa rosa, i just would like to see pictures of what it looks like right after the surgery, ive seen some online with stiches and bleeding and others done witha laser cut. I cant afford laser cut and i just wNt to see what they turn out to look like.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I think the general agreement is that vet's talent is much more important than laser vs. traditional- and this is NOT a procedure to shop around for the best price.

If I may suggest, reputable breeders like to crop around 6 weeks, it's already quite late for you to be considering cropping- especially since you'll likely have to schedule the crop another week or so away. Just another thing to think about.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
U can't cheap out on choppers. Its an art.
You also have to be committed at least min 2 months + of posting. If not the crop will be a waist .

Reactions: o0 sHaDoWoLf 0o

·
Banned
494 Posts
I had both my pups cropped at about 8 weeks old. There was no blood or mess. They were romping and playing around as soon as I brought them home from the vet. Their ears were all taped up, with a styrofoam cup in the middle. : ) As I recall they had some pain meds for a couple of days. There were stitches, of course, and it got a little scabby where the stitches were. The vet said to combat itchiness (not pain, itching) to rub a little neosporin on there, which also got some of the scabbiness off.

Then they went back to the vet, I can't remember if it was one week or two. In one case, the pup's ears were standing just fine already. The other puppy had to have her ears taped up again, maybe even a couple more times, because they weren't quite standing. For a long while she had one ear that kind of flopped, but lo and behold as she got older it started standing up just fine.

Anyway, I'm a real animal advocate and really questioned whether I should do the ear cropping or not. But they didn't appear to be "suffering" much at all during the process and I'm really glad I did it. Like I said, though, they were only 8 weeks old when I had it done. I think 12 weeks is the absolute cut-off, at least with my vet. The vet also mentioned that I cared for them really well after the surgery and really followed his instructions well. He said some people don't and the ears can get infected, etc.

My vet doesn't do ear croppings anymore, by the way. He was so good at it people would come up here from Seattle (I'm in Anchorage, Alaska) to have him do their show dogs. But the clinic he works at decided it was inhumane and they didn't want to be associated with it anymore. So he just quit doing it. But dig this, the clinic DOES declaw cats! And that IS inhumane. What a bunch of hypocrites.

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
Riley had his ears cropped at exactly 10 weeks, and I took care of the aftermath myself, and he came out fine, and we're posting now, which is also going fine (one ear is already starting to stand up between postings).

About the "mess", his were done without laser surgery. He had good stitches and they scabbed over pretty fast. There was no bleeding except for once when he scratched (and I ended up using a clear elizabethan collar to prevent any more accidents). I didn't have to do anything. After a week the stitches were removed. Another week and the scabs were gone and I started posting at 12 weeks.

The ears were down all that time before posting, but some, if not most vets seem to tape the ears back, or to a cup, or other semi-posted method while waiting for them to be ready for real posting.

Study, study, study, watch videos, read, look at photo tutorials, see if you can get a vet or breeder to show you how to post... look at a bunch of different methods and find the one posting method that you are comfortable with doing yourself. Saves time and money to learn and become a posting master of your own dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts