Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lost my little boy yesterday to what the vet says was an autoimmune disorder which attacked his bone marrow and liver.
I miss him dearly. He would have been 8 in August.

Took him to the vet because in addition to lethargy there was front leg licking, intermittent drooling, weight loss. Blood test came back fine and we were sent home.

He took a turn for the worse this past weekend with rapid breathing, pale gums, orange/brown urine so I rushed him to the vet. He had begun showing signs of improvement but when I called for an update Wednesday morning the news was grim.

A friend drove me to the vet and we let him go as I held him for the last time. He was suffering and I couldn't bear to let it go on. My hubby wasn't able to make it there in time.

We are both crushed, the house feels so empty now.
Please, any advice on how to help our remaining Dobe cope would be much appreciated.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your boy. I think dogs go through a grieving process similar to what we do. It takes time. Whilst time out to be still and grieve is essential, it's also important to get out in the sunshine for a walk and fresh air after a few days. Take along a favorite toy/ball and spend a few moments playing in a park, even though you might not feel like it much. Don't block your feelings or feel that there is a time limit to grief. It comes in waves, and at first they are pretty intense. Let them come, and be with them until they wash away. Use those moments between the waves to get out and do something special and fun with your dog to build up resilience for the next waves that will come.
I lost my boy last October to CAH, and still have moments when the waves come and I have a good cry. Your dog will go through this with you. If he gets very distressed, remain calm and try to redirect him to an activity, or even just hold and pet him, then gentle play when he relaxes. Try to keep routines up as best you can. ...if these don't work and he remains highly distressed, perhaps speak to your vet about some medication.
My sincere sympathy to you and your family (including canine).

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Very sorry for your loss. RIP and run wild and free. Give your dobe lots of huggs and treats and take em where ever you go.
We lost a dobe a long time ago to Auto Immune Hemolitic Anemia after she was vaccinated with the yearly vaccinations.
Just for info when was your dobes last vaccinations?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Very sorry for your loss. RIP and run wild and free. Give your dobe lots of huggs and treats and take em where ever you go.
We lost a dobe a long time ago to Auto Immune Hemolitic Anemia after she was vaccinated with the yearly vaccinations.
Just for info when was your dobes last vaccinations?
He would have been due for his 3-year rabies shot in December 2012. That's the only vaccine required by law, so I'm pretty sure that's all he has gotten since he's been in my care.
I believe he got his puppy shots from the breeder. He was 8 weeks old when we picked him up, and the CUTEST little booger! I'm glad I took so many pics and videos back then.
So sorry to hear of the loss of yours, to the very same disorder. It's a horrible, horrible illness.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I'm very sorry for your family's loss. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I keep hoping this is a bad dream that I will wake from. I can't believe he is gone.
I heard from one individual who said that Dobes at this age are prone to liver failure. I had not heard this before.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I keep hoping this is a bad dream that I will wake from. I can't believe he is gone.
I heard from one individual who said that Dobes at this age are prone to liver failure. I had not heard this before.
It's actually around 4-5 years old is the "classic" presentation for liver issues. To get to 8yrs for a liver dog is quite an achievement. I lost my boy just after he turned 6.
(6-8 years is the "danger" zone for cancer though).

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts