Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's nothing worse than calling up your employer saying "I'm going to be late, the dog ate my socks..."

I was downtown with the girlfriend, we had a hotel booked and a friend of mine watching over Lexi, he had watched her on previous nights and is very trustworthy...

Well, my phone starts ringing at 3am...I pick it up and I'm told that Lexi is puking up socks! He explains to me that he wasn't aware there was multiple entrances to the cage, one on the side and one on the front. (I use the side entrance)...so he put Lexi in the cage for the night through the front entrance. Obviously she got out and into the laundry hamper and ate a bunch of socks...5 in total.

So I'm rushing home, it only took me 20 mins, I'm calling people figuring out what to expect and was told to watch her closely, that if she's in trouble she will likely choke on the sock, or it will block her intestines...

She had stopped puking before I left the hotel and my friend said she seemed ok by the time I arrived. That the puke looked normal...aside from the socks.

We took her out for a walk and she pooped without trouble, so that's good.

My girlfriend is currently watching over her now, I'm hoping all the socks are out of her.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I would get her to the vet ASAP for xrays, etc. Dobes are notorious for eating stuff and having blockages. That can be deadly and time may be of the essence. Just because she is not throwing up anymore doesn't mean there aren't any more socks inside her. 5 socks is a lot of socks. Hope your pup will be ok!!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I am not absolutely positive, but I dont think socks are going to show up on an xray. I would call my vet and ask what he recommends. If she is eating, drinking, pooping, playing and acting normal, then she is probably okay, but I would get with the vet as there is a possibility she could have retained one or more like the others have pointed out.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Speaking from experience, it can take a few days for a blockage to occur so while she is acting normal now, the real issues can creep up in a few days.

I would take her to the e-vet ASAP to make sure everything is out of her system. Socks can show up on x-rays..this is how we confirmed the sock in our boy (moved to his colon)

Best wishes...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I am not absolutely positive, but I dont think socks are going to show up on an xray. I would call my vet and ask what he recommends. If she is eating, drinking, pooping, playing and acting normal, then she is probably okay, but I would get with the vet as there is a possibility she could have retained one or more like the others have pointed out.
Socks do not show up well on X-rays, which is why vets use barium. It's a white liquid squirted down the dogs throat. After 30mins you take the first X-ray, then after every hour you take more X-rays, it highlights problem areas. It's a 24 hour procedure, which is why we urge people to bring in their pets ASAP.

Your pup may have thrown up most of the socks, but it only takes part of one to pass the stomach and enter the intestines. Sure she may poop some out, but the digestive juices will partially break down the materials, making it stringy. This is where you will run into trouble. It may take 48 hours to show symptoms of obstruction, but by that time, the string would have twisted itself around the intestines, cutting off blood supply and killing parts of it off. If you rush her to the hospital showing symptoms and get her into surgery, it doesn't garuntee you anything, once the vet untangles the string, all of the necrotic toxins from the dead tissue flow through the body, ultimately killing off all the vital organs.

I know my post is doom and gloom, because I've seen two obstructions from socks, one was brought in hours after finding out, the other was brought in two days after. Only one survived.

I hope your pup recovers, it's a scary situation I hope I'll never be put in.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Oliver ate a sock when we 1st got him and puked it up. We were afraid there could be more and took him for xrays and an ultrasound. They were worried the sock wouldn't show up on an xray. Thankfully, we have insurance. They eat everything!

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all, thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm really not sure how many she ended up eating and my friend didn't see her do it, only heard her puking them up.

He said there was 4 to 5 different socks, all my girlfriends socks, which are super small. I joke around with her and call them thumb warmers.

I am going to call the vet and see what they can do for me.

very worried for her right now

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yes, please let us know how your girl does.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I would definitely get a barium series done for good measure. Hope everything is okay. Has anyone heard of giving Metamucil if you suspect your dog has eaten anything that could potentially cause a blockage? I have and I know a couple of people who have done it and everything turned out fine. They say it bulks everything up and helps move things along. I'm NOT suggesting that the OP does this. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of it?

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I ran over to the vet today with a sample of my girlfriends socks. lol

I'm happy to announce that the socks are believed to be small enough that she would have been able to pass it, granted, not all 5 of them at once! So the fact that she puked them out as a whole instead of in pieces was a really, really good start.
She's been pooping normally and regularly. Not even the slightest sign of constipation and no socks or sock pieces are visible in the stool.
She's been eating/drinking normally as well and acting no different than before the incident. In fact, I caught her sniffing my socks as I took them off before a shower!

I was told if any of those change at all over the course of the week to bring her in.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Glad she's ok!! Tell your girlfriend to pick her socks up off the ground!! Keep out of "Children". :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
We watch ours like hawks but still, he manages to get into something or other. My wife and I were having a discussion the other day, wondering which was more challenging, our daughter when she was in her terrible twos, or a doberman puppy :) I'm leaning more towards the puppy LOL

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
wow scary to be sure! We went through this with Nexus, only hers were socks and underwear. She threw up the underwear, the sock got stuck. It did show up on an x-ray, however it was shown as a big obscure thing and not identifiable as a sock. It was already in her intestine wt the time, and was clearly visible. I dont know about doing it right after they swallow something, as both times it had moved farther down in her system when they x-rayed her. The second time it was a big ball of yarn that normally would have passed if not for the scar tissue that had twisted and narrowed her intestine.

Im glad that all seems to be well with her, and I hope you dont have any further issues.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Socks are the ultimate goal for dogs, it has our stinky scent all over them. LOL
Glad he is ok.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya she cleaned up the whole bedroom last night, no more socks...or anything, on the floor.

I've been asking that for over a year, to bad it took Lexi eating stuff before she realized there's a better spot for them....

That gives me an evil idea though....plant her school work papers that she's already tossed in the garbage onto the floor instead....and then maybe my kitchen table will be visible again! After all, she wont give Lexi grief if the deed is not caught in the act!

muah ha ha ha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts