Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my phone and the show section doesn't appear so I will post in this section. Anyways Odin and I went to a show this weekend and it was brought to my attention that the Doberman coat should feel kinda wirery like a terrier coat. Which is understandable given the breeds it took to produce the Doberman. Odin has a smooth soft coat, the only time it has felt terrier like was when he was on purina pro plan. Same goes with my last Doberman, they only had a terrier type feeling while on lesser quality food. I guess my question is that do you think it makes that much of a difference in the show ring? If yes than how do I get that without changing food?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
There's a difference between the kind of brittle coat you might get on a lesser quality food than the hard, wirey coat that's the ideal in dobermans. I can't really explain it, but once you see a doberman with a really correct coat, you'd see the difference.

Bathing softens the coat, so if you can bathe Odin earlier in the week rather than immediately before the show, that would help some. There are shampoos specifically for wirey, terrier coats that may help as well.

There are lots and lots of soft coated dobermans who've earned their championships very easily-it's definitely not even close to being a deal breaker. Far more important things to worry about when showing most dogs.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah thanks for the info, his shampoo has a conditioner in it. I'll change shampoo's and see how it works. I think I understand what your talking about.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Ah thanks for the info, his shampoo has a conditioner in it. I'll change shampoo's and see how it works. I think I understand what your talking about.
Oh yeah, a conditioner will soften up coat quite a bit. You definitely need to make a shampoo change.

Just to give you an example, tho-my Razzle girl has a very soft coat. She finished in 20 shows, with four majors. That coat didn't hold her back one little bit. :) Correct coats might be a tie breaker between two otherwise excellent dogs, but it would have to come down to *real* nitpicking before it ever became an issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts