Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not wanting to steal anyone's threads I thought I would start my own. ******* turned 6 months old on Jan 6th and since about this time she has been a holy terror! One minute she is kissing me, head on my shoulder the next minute she is biting, barking and being a little devil dog. The clincher was last week at the park. Our usual walk in the woods, off leash I always work on her recall which was 100% even with other dogs around. Well last week a lady and her dog who I knew where walking towards us, ******* was about 50 ft in front of me. I called her, she looked at me, looked at them, looked at me, laughed....I ran the opposite direction told her come get a cookie but to no avail. Off she went, jumped on the lady (yellow coat) with mucky paws, played with the dog until I could run and get her. This is just one little thing, she does do her sit, down, stays but they are slower or I have to physically put her in the position.
What I have read is that this normally happens at about 7-9 months of age, the onset of maturity. Is it normal to happen this early? Or is this something else? Any suggestions?? :help_up_2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
[email protected]$$ before her years? I don't know, Okiedobie, but I would put her back on the leash (and keep her there for a while) and go back to the basic puppy training of what you did before when she bit. institute some NILIF.

or you could just send her to me......;)

cc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
Oh okie, she is starting young! Orson (as you know by my thread) waited until after 8 months! You know I am not going to laugh at you, but I will laugh with you........ok?
And human girls mature faster than boys, so maybe that's all it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Codysmom said:
[email protected]$$ before her years? I don't know, Okiedobie, but I would put her back on the leash (and keep her there for a while) and go back to the basic puppy training of what you did before when she bit. institute some NILIF.

or you could just send her to me......;)

cc
Yes Codysmom I have put her back on the leash, I think she will try and run away and she is really jumping on people which is not acceptable in Aurora...hehe. I am making her sit when people walk by and treat her at the same time. BUT as soon as they walk past us she is so excited she jumps on me, bites, grabs the leash and acts like a hooligan!!!
Something else she does....when walking she will start body checking me. If she is just ahead of me she will swing her butt and bang into me!!! It is actually very funny to watch and sometimes I move out of the way and she misses and go's flying. LOL Most times though, it drives me nuts and it's probably her way of trying to rule or get me to interact. It is very hard to stop, if I stop walking she will stop doing it but we do have to get home sometime this month..:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
986 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
What I have read is that this normally happens at about 7-9 months of age, the onset of maturity.
I would just comment to not confuse the onset of puberty with maturity. Maturity is a loooooong way off at her age, and I'm talking years. I also think that it's perfectly normal behavior at this age, esp. showing a streak of stubborness. I liken it to their "independence" starting to form and show sometimes...ok...almost always...in ways that irritate us. Dobies really are very intelligent unfortunately they don't go from infant to genius without this "learning phase" in between. Like human kids just starting to do some thinking on their own, sometimes they use poor judgment (or no judgment) but that's how they learn consequences. Codysmom had a good idea but just remember whichever way you choose to handle it, be consistent and fair and don't damage her spirit. She WILL test you ("you're not the boss of me", "you can't control me", "I'm gonna boss you around, now"). Okie, you may need all the patience you can muster or in the alternative, a prescription for valium. Just remember, it is a phase and it too shall pass...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many milliagrams of Valium do you recommand Sooz??? Good information, thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And Codysmom her suitcase is packed...shhhh don't tell the others o.k.?
 

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
Joined
·
4,376 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
How many milliagrams of Valium do you recommand Sooz??? Good information, thank you!
I'm down to just one prescription per day now!!Mischa is 9 months old and been a devil dog since the we picked her up.
:help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :emo11:
 

·
just a member
Joined
·
2,996 Posts
Doing commands at a distance and distractions is always a challenge. I would consider using a long lead in these situations. A 30 ft or 50 ft lead would be great. Whenever we are out in areas where we will run into people and dogs, I always have my girl on a long lead. That way I still have some control incase she sees something better than me.

If her responses to commands is getting slower or resistance, you need to up the commands and make her work for everything. They catch on quick especially when they start losing privileges. I have seen this with my girl especially if we haven't done it in a bit or I have become laxed and not making her work for it. The first thing I learned in my training classes is that 70% of all issues you have with dogs are caused by humans. Once we establish the acceptable behavior and reinforce it consistency, the more they will continue to do the acceptable behavior.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kratty said:
Doing commands at a distance and distractions is always a challenge. I would consider using a long lead in these situations. A 30 ft or 50 ft lead would be great. Whenever we are out in areas where we will run into people and dogs, I always have my girl on a long lead. That way I still have some control incase she sees something better than me.

If her responses to commands is getting slower or resistance, you need to up the commands and make her work for everything. They catch on quick especially when they start losing privileges. I have seen this with my girl especially if we haven't done it in a bit or I have become laxed and not making her work for it. The first thing I learned in my training classes is that 70% of all issues you have with dogs are caused by humans. Once we establish the acceptable behavior and reinforce it consistency, the more they will continue to do the acceptable behavior.

Make sense to me Kratty, thanks. When you say to up the commands do you mean make them more challenging??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brumwolf said:
I'm down to just one prescription per day now!!Mischa is 9 months old and been a devil dog since the we picked her up.
:help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :emo11:
mmmmm, maybe we should give Mischa and ******* the Valium??:muha: :muha: :devil_2: :devil_2:

I love your little devil dog brumwolf
 

·
just a member
Joined
·
2,996 Posts
No not more challenging because at this stage challenging her will not prove anything if she is being stuborn. I am referring to making her work more. For example, while being fed, she needs to sit/stay before she can eat go eat. Only after you release her from the sit/stay can she go to the bowl. When going outside, do a Wait command at the door and add some time to it, before she can go outside. Just make her work more for everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Some day Java will be want to be as obedient as Kratty's Niki....but in the meantime, I can't let up on the commands. If Java thinks she can get away with some undesirable behavior (such as barking impatiently when I get her food out of the fridge), it won't stop. Sure it takes more time, but it is worth it to stop what I'm doing, get her to sit (and hush if necessary) before I continue preparing her dinner. The minute I hear even the slightest protest I stop what I'm doing and look at her. It's amazing how she immediately gets the message and will get back into her sit, or even lie down quietly so that I will finish getting her food. Once I'm done she's not allowed to get up until I say 'Ok', and then must sit and stay until I put the bowl down and give her the command to approach and eat her dinner. I know it makes the process longer, but it's important to me to have Java 'mind her manners'.

I still use a training collar when we are out walking, esp when we are going to possibly encounter people, other dogs. Not that she is the least bit people or dog agressive, but she quickly gets the message if she tries to pull on the lead.

For her own safetly Java has to know that I am in charge, and it's just my opinion that's it's important for the breed that we are as responsible as we are when it comes to how our Dobes behave in public. I have a lot of respect for those members whose Dobes remain at their side off-leash and never take their eyes off their owners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
We have started the NILIF plan with Orson.....in just a few days (about 9-10) we have seen drastic improvements. He too must sit and wait for his dinner nicely. I kicked it up one notch, as he must wait until I put his bowl down, stay, then I take Phoebe's bowl to her, and then I let them both proceed. He must sit/stay nicely at the door while getting ready to go out, or sit/stay in the van before getting out, and there are other times we use this as well. I have noticed that he is beginning to look to me for approval before he does something on his own, as if to say "should I do this, or must I wait for you" which I really like. I do not want to take his independant side completely away, but I want him to learn good judgement with it too. I am glad for the experienced people on this site!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
Again...............glad I adopted Rudi at the ripe old age of 3. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kratty said:
No not more challenging because at this stage challenging her will not prove anything if she is being stuborn. I am referring to making her work more. For example, while being fed, she needs to sit/stay before she can eat go eat. Only after you release her from the sit/stay can she go to the bowl. When going outside, do a Wait command at the door and add some time to it, before she can go outside. Just make her work more for everything.

Well we already do the put the food down and she has to sit and wait. Should I increase the time she has to wait ? She has to sit and wait while I open the car door, front door any door for that matter. Maybe I should make her do the "two step" and sit..lol
 

·
just a member
Joined
·
2,996 Posts
I'm not sure what your routine is with your cute little lucifer's child but with my Lucifer, I try to incorporate as many commands into what every we are doing. IF she is carry a toy around, I ask for her to give to me or just a release command, when she does it she gets praise and I give it back. Even during our daily play time, I include other commands, like leave it and have her follow me away from her toy and she then waits until I let her go back and get it and we play again. You have to be creative with what you are doing and then throw in other commands during that process.

Its kinda like getting a dog to sit for the first time. IF you only prcatice doing it in the kitchen and then you ask her to sit in the bedroom, she probably won't do it because you never practiced sit in the bedroom. Also change up your current routines, add more time, change the commands, like having her lay or stand/stays instead of sit. Whatever you can think of in her realm of training. Thats what I was trying to say.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top