Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
I go to the same vet that I have gone to for the past 28 years. My first dobe's cropping cost me $35, and three years ago I took my Darmok to the same guy, and his price had gone up---to $40! He's the greatest. Ears stayed taped for a little over one week, then stitches and tapes came off and the ears were perfect. This Veterinarian is located in a tiny little spot in the road called "Bean Blossom, Indiana", and people come from literally miles and miles to have this guy do croppings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2dobies said:
I go to the same vet that I have gone to for the past 28 years. My first dobe's cropping cost me $35, and three years ago I took my Darmok to the same guy, and his price had gone up---to $40! He's the greatest. Ears stayed taped for a little over one week, then stitches and tapes came off and the ears were perfect. This Veterinarian is located in a tiny little spot in the road called "Bean Blossom, Indiana", and people come from literally miles and miles to have this guy do croppings.
wow that is so not fair over here in ca i've called at least 7-8 different vets and they all average about 200 dollars!!! where are you from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
I am located in central Indiana, about 35 miles from the vet I go to, but local vets in the town I live in charge anywhere from $200 - $250 for crops. I bought my dog when she was 7 1/2 weeks old from a breeder in Northern Indiana (almost into Michigan) and she said the ear crops cost around $300 there. My vet is a very special guy. When he was young, he wanted so badly to be a vet, but is family and the entire community around him was extremely poor, and he almost gave up hope of going to college because he couldnt afford it. The community where he lives loved this guy SO MUCH and had so much faith in him that they all pooled together and had fund-raisers and paid his way to Purdue University and totally paid for all his schooling. In return, he promised that he would not overcharge on his business, and he would always keep the health and welfare of the animal first and foremost over the almighty dollar. Now THERE's a real Godsend!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2dobies said:
In return, he promised that he would not overcharge on his business, and he would always keep the health and welfare of the animal first and foremost over the almighty dollar. Now THERE's a real Godsend!!!
amen!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
I don;t remember but byrons was at least 250 and I think more,my brain is not working atm. I really don;t like the look of the forty doller crop,remember you get what you pay for. You can also expect to post for months,some are less,but be prepared for more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
joce said:
.... I really don;t like the look of the forty doller crop,remember you get what you pay for......
Actually, I DO like the style of crop I got for $40. And I feel that I got a lot more than I paid for...I got a caring vet who loves my dog and doesnt want to take advantage of the fact that most people are willing to pay almost ten times that amount. We've never had a bit of trouble with the ears not standing. I didnt want a "show crop" because I had no intention on showing my dog, and I know that the longer cut takes much more tiime and posting to get good results. I guess "to each his own", huh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
No need to get an attitude, You have a forty doller crop,yopu yourself said its up in a week. If thats what you want fine. Thats not what I would ever tell people to look for in a dobe crop. But that is all up to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,593 Posts
I dont know how much Duchess's crop was...the breeder has someone fly in to do her dogs ears...its included in the price
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
We have noticed the prices of crops going up each year around here. the vet who did 3 of my dogs the price was $130 Now he is $250 if he does them at all!One day he is doing them the next day he isn't! the other vet in town that crops is $150.
I heard from a friend the other day, he said his friend daughter had gotten a new puppy just a couple of days ago, 8 weeks and the ears were done! the breeder himself did them at 6 weeks... the puppy had not posting! and the ears were not standing! I told him to take the puppy to the vet NOW!! and get the ears checked and if all way alright to get them posted up! I have never heard of a breeder doing him own cropping and never at 6 weeks!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
That's awful! If you dont know what you're doing, then you dont need to be trying! I hope it's not too late to fix that poor puppy's ears. I lilke a natural eared look, but it's a shame to put a pup through a cropping just to have it look like a botched job.
 

·
just a member
Joined
·
2,996 Posts
Can't help with the price, the breeder I got Nikita from has all the cropping done before picking up poochys. Around $250 sounds reasonable, but here in NJ, I bet it would be higher. Also probably depends on the type of cut too. I guess. Posting th ears, now thats a thread I can write alot about......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
here its

went up sicne the summer now its $157 was $135. but hes the only vet around that will do them b/c the other vets r teamed up wiht humaine societys now and refuse to do them b/c its cruel they say. anywho lol our vet is the cheapest. Other places few counties over r 250-300.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
My Vet Charged $175 There a amish family that run it. He has several Dobes and a Rot He's done tons of crops I dont think to many other vets around here do Crops
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
I've seen the price range from around 100 to 400 dollars.

I agree though, I am not particularly fond of the forty dollar crop. Though if the owner likes it; that's fine. *shrug*

A reputable breeder will include cropping before a puppy goes home. Generally a breeder gets a discount if they do an entire litter at once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
frznbuns said:
I have never heard of a breeder doing him own cropping and never at 6 weeks!!!
Cole was cropped at 7 weeks by his breeder. She is a vet also, but it is not unheard of for a breeder or a "cropper"to crop. Many croppers do a much better job than any vet could do.
And I have to agree with Joce, that $40 crop is not my cup of tea. I can't see $40 even covering the anethesia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Ok, I'm just curious now. Would you guys have all said that you didnt like the look if I had said that I paid $150 for the ear crop? Is it the actual cropping style that you're not fond of, or the price? I dont get it. I've looked at the pictures in the gallery here and I really dont see what the big difference is in the way my dogs' ears are cropped and the way that some of your dogs' are done. I'm not trying to be difficult, I really want to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
I wouldn't like that crop no matter how much it cost.

From the side the ears may not look so unappealing to some of us, but from the front the bottom sides stick way out away from their head; far too much to be considered "attractive". Also, in that picture the ears, about 2/3s of the way up tip outward to the side.

I'm sure more crop-savvy people can say why else they think it's a not-so-great crop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
2dobies said:
Ok, I'm just curious now. Would you guys have all said that you didnt like the look if I had said that I paid $150 for the ear crop? Is it the actual cropping style that you're not fond of, or the price? I dont get it. I've looked at the pictures in the gallery here and I really dont see what the big difference is in the way my dogs' ears are cropped and the way that some of your dogs' are done. I'm not trying to be difficult, I really want to know.
I wouldn't like it no matter how much was paid for it. There is way to much bell left and they are to short for my taste.
Taking off more bell and having a longer crop makes them not look so triangle. The length of the crop has nothing to do with how well the will stand either. That depends on the ear leather.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
Btw 2dobies, I was just looking at your pictures in the gallery. They look very sweet, but I noticed the one picture of I think Sasha in the car and her nails look extremely long. We would be more than happy to give you some tips on how to keep those shorter. It really is bad for their feet to have long nail.
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top