Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chase has this habit of saying 'hi!' to new people by drilling his nose in an area no one finds attractive.

Here is my problem. He is a little skittish and head shy with strangers, and I've been working with him since the day I got him. He has come in leaps and bounds, but he still shies away from time to time.

My method was to keep him within his threshold, and strangers have yummy treats and good skritches :) so any curiosity, sniffing, submissive, nub wagging, or tolerance was encouraged.

Should I correct him for crotch sniffing? In a sense it's curiosity, and in the dog world it means 'hello!'. How should I discourage this behavior, and not set him back in his training at the same time?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'll never forget watching my last Dobe goose some blue hair with a purse dog at the pet store. I remember walking out with my mom as she slowly rolled by in her Cadillac still glaring at us. :D

DOGSR4Life: My dog does the same thing, and is also kind of nervy with people. I've found it to be a balance, I hate to correct him for being curious, but he must show decent manners too.

At this point I am doing my best to structure his interactions and keep them positive until I am confident that he is built up around people then work on the finer points of manners. When I am around a stranger that is not showing interest in my dog I keep him on a loose lead, but far enough away that he cant hit them with a sneak attack. The last thing I want is to set the dog back with a a negative reaction from a stranger.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll never forget watching my last Dobe goose some blue hair with a purse dog at the pet store. I remember walking out with my mom as she slowly rolled by in her Cadillac still glaring at us. :D

DOGSR4Life: My dog does the same thing, and is also kind of nervy with people. I've found it to be a balance, I hate to correct him for being curious, but he must show decent manners too.

At this point I am doing my best to structure his interactions and keep them positive until I am confident that he is built up around people then work on the finer points of manners. When I am around a stranger that is not showing interest in my dog I keep him on a loose lead, but far enough away that he cant hit them with a sneak attack. The last thing I want is to set the dog back with a a negative reaction from a stranger.
This is my worry as well. I think I'm going to wait a little longer before addressing this issue and get used to saying 'I'm so sorry, this is how he likes to say hello.' lol he only does this when a person is petting him.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Sofia only 'gooses' people she likes.. as we greet them at the door I tell her " No goosing" and advise the visitor to do the same.
Sometimes it works.. other times.. well.. not so much
(It can be amusing to see how high some of my neighbors can jump..)
NOT a nice habit, I agree... but .... well.. but nothing.. just not a nice habit.
Sometimes she gets me from behind when I'm not looking and thinks it's the funniest damn thing in the world.. her eyes sparkle and I swear I think she's grinning.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Kyrah did this A LOT when she was younger. I never corrected her for it or discouraged her. As she has gotten older it has decreased to that specific target area. She still nose pokes just in a nicer place. LOL

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Oliver does it to my husband, the neighbor (uncle) and me. He drills us with that nose, and he thinks it's real funny. He is quick and fearless. After the poke he gets this wild look in his eyes and scurries off, he will return to try again. He does it when we are talking and not paying attention to him. I would like for him to stop doing this crass behavior. It is really funny when he's not doing to you, I love hearing grown men cry outloud.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
ya know....it's only by social convention that we humans don't greet this way too ;)

...is it wrong for me to find amusment in people getting freaked out when social conventions are 'broken'? :lol:

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Heh, when Lexi sniffs me I just sniff her back...ummm, you know around the neck area of course. She finds it fun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Duchess has sort of outgrown it-she's 2 1/2 now. I'm the only one she gooses and not as much any more. She understands "mine" from when she would pick up shoes, etc. so we used the same approach for butt sniffing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Shadow was absolutely horrible about that. He was an opportunist and goosed everybody he met from the front or the rear whatever he thought was vulnerable. I always warned the visitor don't be shocked if he does it and to not take it personal, because he does to everyone. When people came over that already knew him would be on gaurd as soon as they came in the house, but he was patient and knew they would let there gaurd down sooner or later............... lol he always got his crotch but i have not had to say sorry so many times in my life until him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wish I could be amused by this behavior, but I'm not. I really can't stand my 9 month old male dobe "gooseing" me or anyone else. I'm I alone out here. I would love some tips to stop this behavior.:confused:

·
Registered
327 Posts
One of my fosters Ace wasn't shy at all when it came to checking out new people. I remember a woman wearing a skirt asked to pet him at Tractor Supply, but as soon as she came up to him he went up her skirt before I could warn her.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chase has this habit of saying 'hi!' to new people by drilling his nose in an area no one finds attractive.

Here is my problem. He is a little skittish and head shy with strangers, and I've been working with him since the day I got him. He has come in leaps and bounds, but he still shies away from time to time.

My method was to keep him within his threshold, and strangers have yummy treats and good skritches :) so any curiosity, sniffing, submissive, nub wagging, or tolerance was encouraged.

Should I correct him for crotch sniffing? In a sense it's curiosity, and in the dog world it means 'hello!'. How should I discourage this behavior, and not set him back in his training at the same time?
My seven month old dobie does the same thing. Mostly just to me, but if she gets the opportunity she does it to other people. Seems hard to get him to stop. His head just seems right at that level :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts