Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What has been the single best training advice that you've ever gotten? It can be for agility, working sports, obedience, behavioral, basic manners, etc.

Mine is related to behavior and it was that dogs are constantly communicating with their environments, each other, and with us. It seems simple and obvious, but it was kind of a turning point for me when I learned to utilize calming signals and body language in training. I feel like more than ever, I have a training relationship built on trust and understanding.

Also, if there are any quotes from books that really made a difference to you, please share those as well!

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Mine was originally told to me by my horse trainer, but translates well for dogs as well.

I, and others, as human beings tend to over complicate things and expect animals to have the same reasoning abilities of humans, which is obviously not true lol, so here it is:

KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Plain and simple.....

Just keep it fun! And always end on a high note.

If its not fun and exciting why would either you or the dog want to do whatever your doing?
If you both keep failing, why would you try again?

If mabel feels like she made even itty bitty minimal progress she has a confidence boost and is just sooo happy to keep trying and figure out what she should do/what I want.

:)

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
If you start to feel frustrated, it's time to QUIT. Give both of you a break, and go back later.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Don't expect too much, too soon.

And on a similar note, let her be a puppy! There's plenty of time for manners and obedience as she matures, but once puppyhood is gone - it's gone.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
I think my favorite one is: After you tell your dog what she is doing is WRONG, show her how to do it RIGHT. Otherwise it is just NO NO NO all the time, and you can't blame them for being confused all the time about what is the correct thing to do!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
PLAN before you train. If you use rewards, count them out so you stick with just doing something say 5 times. But always go in with a plan of what you want to reward and what the goal is.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Teach your daughters to be smart, strong and motivated!
Teach them to always know they have a home and a family who loves them.
Teach them to never let a man hurt them.
Teach them to always look around for suspicious men and have their car keys in hand when walking threw a parking lot as well with mace on the keychain.
Teach them to know a bad situation when they see one and either leave or call me & dad to come help, always call for help.

Oh you ment dogs... :p

·
Registered
4,705 Posts

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
The quickest way to get your dog to run from you, is to chase it.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
The quickest way to get your dog to run from you, is to chase it.
Sounding like you're going to kill him if he does come to you, or worse yet, punishing him for something he did before he came to you will do the trick, also.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
I'm going with 2 things.

First, you have to be smarter than the dog.

Second, don't ever let your puppy get away with something that you don't want them to do when they're full grown.
Sorta related to this one--don't give your dog a command unless you are able to enforce it. Don't repeat commands--expect action from the dog, or make it happen if there is no response.

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
Avoid the "Just one more" approach. If you have had a good response, quit early on a high note and avoid ruining your entire session.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Some of my favorite are already taken, so a few more good ones:

Be consistent.

"If you want your dog to be interested in you, you have to be interesting!"

1 - 20 of 38 Posts