Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That it takes six months for a new food to kick in on skin and hair.

I was looking at the dogs this past week thinking that their coats were so much shinier and healthier.

Then I realized it was almost six months to the day since switching.

Hmmm.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I have never heard of this. Is it supposed to come from a good source or what? I do know I have read it takes till the end of the second bag of new food to tell a difference. This was true when I changed from Purina Dog Chow to Canidae. There was a dramatic difference in coat changes on my old mixed girl, now deceased. She was about 12 when I made the switch. She had these bare places around the edges of her rose ears. I had come to the conclusion they were from old age. HA! The fur started growing back in, not the yellow color it was, but with a reddish tint to the edges. Her fur came in thicker, softer with this reddish tint I never knew she was supposed to have. Her foot, carpet licking disappeared. I asked her vet for several years what was causing the incessant licking and her head shaking. Grass and thick fur in her ears.another HA! Sorry for the rant, but seriously, to the end of the second bag or two months was what it took. Changing from one premium brand to another would be much less obvious.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Depending on the change and grade of food, it can happen very quickly or more slowly. When I brought Finn home at 10.5 weeks, he was on Royal Canin. I switched to Orijen and change happened to his coat glow and color(for the positive) even while I was mixing the food. Within just a few day of being 100% fed Orijen his coat was dramatically different.

·
Premium Member
9,961 Posts
Depends on where the dog is on a normal shed season. With puppies since they shed out several puppy coats between birth and six months you see a change from one food to one that is more suited to them more quickly.

If it is a an adult dogs and they have just gone through a major seasonal shed (think spring and fall basically) you won't see a huge change until the next shed generally.

It varies some from dog to dog and food to food though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts