Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a new trend around here, and it's getting very annoying. Apollo keeps taking Big's toys from him. I'll give them each a bone or a toy, and he only wants to play with whatever Big has. It's gotten to the point that if he's laying down playing with something and Big goes over to the toy box to get a toy for himself, Apollo will drop whatever he has and go after Big. They are CLEARLY not his toys cause they're tiny, and I know he knows they aren't cause I've told him many many times. I tried getting him new toys, but that hasn't helped at all. He'd still rather play with whatever Big is playing with. I feel bad for Big because he has to constantly be relocating whenever Apollo gets close to him so he can't just lay down and play with his toys in peace. I've been using a spray bottle with Apollo, but the constant, "NO! NO! NO!" is getting frustrating, not to mention, I worry about him choking on the small toys. And I'm also just wondering where this came from because it just started recently (within the past couple weeks). Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
sounds like my kids when they were little. even if we got them the EXACT same thing what the other had was always better.

You may want to ditch the small toys for a while if you think Apollo is going to choke. Have you tried some of the Kong toys? Cody never liked the ones that looked like concentric circles, but we found him a cube, a football, and a saucer we could stuff. the saucer was his fave. it came in two parts that screw together. you put treats - we always thew in some peanut butter too, that would keep him busy for hours trying to get it all out. But the bigger hard treats will break from the chewing and slowly all the stuff comes out. Cody got to the point where he figured out how to unscrew it. God bless his little maniacle heart. Anyway that would keep him busy for hours. It also took him about 10 minutes to be able to associate the word 'saucer' with it.

good luck and keep in touch.

cc

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a Chihuahua and a Doberman-mix. I personally have given up on small toys. All my dogs play with medium to large sized toys, including the Chi. Our Chi doesn't seem to mind at all. =) That way there are no worries on choking.

What kind of toys are they that he's trying to steal? My dogs will leave eachother alone if their own treats are interesting enough; aka stuffed kongs filled with chicken or peanut butter or a nice raw bone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the same problem, I have a house full of poodles and little toys and 1 big doberman mouth that likes to grab anything within reach, especially if it isn't his!! I haven't yet gotten him to not take things but he is getting really good with the word "drop"!! LoL It is rather frustrating but I'm hoping he will learn and I'm sure yours will too!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'll throw my hat in the ring with the others... Chi won't take the toys from Petri while he's playing with them. If she tries to, he'll latch onto her lip and won't let go, I swear he's 1/2 chihuahua 1/2 Pit Bull :) But the second he leaves them, she pounces on them and destroys. I've given up on leaving little toys out. I have a few nylabones and chew hooves that both of them chew on and now a couple kongs that only Chi plays with. I do still have a few of Petri's favorites, but I keep them put up and play with him alone when Chi is in her kennel. I try to give them each about 30 min a day of one on one time with me.
Would love to see pics of them together. I bet Big is growing like a weed :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Codysmom said:
sounds like my kids when they were little. even if we got them the EXACT same thing what the other had was always better.

You may want to ditch the small toys for a while if you think Apollo is going to choke. Have you tried some of the Kong toys? Cody never liked the ones that looked like concentric circles, but we found him a cube, a football, and a saucer we could stuff. the saucer was his fave. it came in two parts that screw together. you put treats - we always thew in some peanut butter too, that would keep him busy for hours trying to get it all out. But the bigger hard treats will break from the chewing and slowly all the stuff comes out. Cody got to the point where he figured out how to unscrew it. God bless his little maniacle heart. Anyway that would keep him busy for hours. It also took him about 10 minutes to be able to associate the word 'saucer' with it.

good luck and keep in touch.

cc
I've tried Kong toys with no luck...my little ADD puppy doesn't have the attention span for them unfortunately. I've tried filling them with the Kong treats, peanut butter, and basically any kind other treats I could think of but he always gets bored after a few minutes of not being able to get it out. I got a few different kinds, but needless to say, they've been vanished to the bottom of the toy box. But thank you for the suggestion :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.