Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and are honest and open enough to share DNA and finances to provide for studies that offer more tests, more answers and more breeding strategies to help improve the breed.

I received the Pro Club Newsletter from Purina today. (I think I signed up at a purina farm event or something) and read the Doberman Pinscher Update article about DVDob, that Ann from Cambria contributed to.

I'm glad to see new tests coming out for this wonderful breed and hope they get enough DNA collected through their initial offering of the test (Through ProjectDOG) , to ensure it's reliability and help make good choices for reducing the # of affected dogs in the population.

Since I'm not a Dobe Breeder and I'm just looking for (and on a list for) a show puppy, I found this information helpful and interesting. It is always exciting to learn of new genetic screening opportunities, and I've contributed to such in the past as well. It is such a relief when an Autosomal Recessive marker like that is identified and we as dog breeders can make a huge difference by being open, honest and communicating! Bravo!

If you haven't seen that newsletter, it came in the mail to me today. I haven't found the exact article online though. If anyone wants a copy, I'd be happy to scan it. I doubt any of that info is news to most of you, but for me as a future owner...and I'm sure others...looking into the breed it is a nice resource. You might have to sign up here https://purinaproclub.com

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
and are honest and open enough to share DNA and finances to provide for studies that offer more tests, more answers and more breeding strategies to help improve the breed.

I received the Pro Club Newsletter from Purina today. (I think I signed up at a purina farm event or something) and read the Doberman Pinscher Update article about DVDob, that Ann from Cambria contributed to.

I'm glad to see new tests coming out for this wonderful breed and hope they get enough DNA collected through their initial offering of the test (Through ProjectDOG) , to ensure it's reliability and help make good choices for reducing the # of affected dogs in the population.

Since I'm not a Dobe Breeder and I'm just looking for (and on a list for) a show puppy, I found this information helpful and interesting. It is always exciting to learn of new genetic screening opportunities, and I've contributed to such in the past as well. It is such a relief when an Autosomal Recessive marker like that is identified and we as dog breeders can make a huge difference by being open, honest and communicating! Bravo!

If you haven't seen that newsletter, it came in the mail to me today. I haven't found the exact article online though. If anyone wants a copy, I'd be happy to scan it. I doubt any of that info is news to most of you, but for me as a future owner...and I'm sure others...looking into the breed it is a nice resource. You might have to sign up here https://purinaproclub.com
I haven't seen the article but am interested in how AW contributed and what she had to say.

I had my bitch tested for this because of some dogs showing up in her pedigree. She is negative. I'd like to see more information regarding stats. Like how many tested were positive or carrier. Just out of curiosity.

Reactions: WmRatz

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I was happy to see this test come available, because it is a known issue in my boys pedigree. Unfortunately he does carry the Ding gene. Fortunately, it is easy enough to breed away from. Also would like to see the article. I cannot find it online either.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a friend who had a litter and one of her babies was affected with Dings. Poor lady...she had to euthanize it, but donated it for research.

I'm scanning the article now. Will post it in a bit.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My observation is that this is an update/informational article that points owners towards the available testing. This is preliminary research and they want more tested before releasing population #s and stats. They did that with our dogs with pll...they put out a really GREAT price for people to test their dogs and then they had the data needed to offer breed statistics.

If you go to the site on page 2 projectDOG.org there is testing for only $40/dog

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Links worked great. The test is simple and inexpensive. They do batch the tests so it can take a few weeks to get the results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts