Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking for a breeder in Texas or Oklahoma. I'm not sure where to start. I would appreciate any guidance.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Texas has some great breeders. My boy is from Rhapsody in Austin. There are other members here with dogs from Texas breeders including Sunburg, Touchstone, and Merrimac.
Make sure you do your research on any breeder though because while Texas has some great ones there are also some breeders in this state that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

·
sweep the leg
1,016 Posts
Hi Becky, welcome!

I started my search several months ago first by visiting the DPCA's site and reviewing the Breeder Referal page. I studied the websites of the breeders in my area (for those that had sites) and narrowed down my choices. Then I searched those breeders here on DT just to gain some firsthand knowledge by those far more savvy than I was. DPCA is a great place to start but it's not a guarentee that the breeder mentioned is reputable. This forum will fill in any gaps for you. All my homework led me to a local breeder, Sunking, and I purchased my first dobe pup in June.

You will never regret your effort to do it the right way, so it's great that you're asking questions! This forum will be a phenomenal resource for you.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Welcome to DT!

Good luck with your research and search for just the right pup or dog.

If you get the chance, please check out a few Rescue Doberman in your area too!

Rescues are the BEST! :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Becky!

I would start with the North Texas Doberman Rescue....they are close by.

Have a great day!
I did started there, found a dog that we were very interested in, but their new rules state that you cannot have a child younger than 7. Our kiddos are 2 and 6.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Becky,

What kind of Doberman are you looking for? American? Euro? Show, working, or sport prospect? Or just a pet?
Just a pet. We've had American Bulldogs for years. Our last passed away in 2010. We feel it's time for another dog. We want a loyal and protective pet.

My husband had a Doberman about 20 years ago. She slept at the bedside of his daughter. I burgler broke through the kitchen window one night. The dog literally pinned the man down until the police arrived.

I can't think of a better choice.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Just a pet. We've had American Bulldogs for years. Our last passed away in 2010. We feel it's time for another dog. We want a loyal and protective pet.

My husband had a Doberman about 20 years ago. She slept at the bedside of his daughter. I burgler broke through the kitchen window one night. The dog literally pinned the man down until the police arrived.

I can't think of a better choice.
Do you like the euro or american look?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I'd like to warn that many breeders won't like to place a dog with young children, just like rescues. Most breeders have had bad experiences with homes who can't handle a young puppy biting everything in sight, or when they're older, knocking the kids over at seemingly every chance. I'm not saying you're like this, but the breeder really won't know for sure whether you are or aren't. Reputable breeders also often have waiting lists, and when people are lining up for a puppy they'll want to choose the homes that are "lowest risk." because breeders really can be picky about who they sell to.

Sorry to point this out, you may meet a breeder who will take a chance on you, but be prepared to prove you're worth it!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd like to warn that many breeders won't like to place a dog with young children, just like rescues. Most breeders have had bad experiences with homes who can't handle a young puppy biting everything in sight, or when they're older, knocking the kids over at seemingly every chance. I'm not saying you're like this, but the breeder really won't know for sure whether you are or aren't. Reputable breeders also often have waiting lists, and when people are lining up for a puppy they'll want to choose the homes that are "lowest risk." because breeders really can be picky about who they sell to.

Sorry to point this out, you may meet a breeder who will take a chance on you, but be prepared to prove you're worth it!! Good luck!!
I understand and respect the choice to be selective and that a home with young children could be high risk. That being said, we have just begun our search, and will not be ready for a puppy until the end of this year, beginning of next. This is not a decision we are taking lightly. Just trying to get the needed info to make a good informed decision.

My kids have been raised with American Bulldogs (120 lbs) and chiuahuahs. I understand my responsibility as a parent to train the dog and kids :) supervision being the key. I'm totally prepared to prove that we are worth it.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Either look you prefer, just make sure you go to a reputable breeder who health tests and titles their dogs. This is a relatively unhealthy breed, so make sure they fully health test to stack the odds in your favor.

There are good breeders who will give a family a puppy, you just have to be extra patient, and it may take extra searching to find them. Build a relationship with your breeder, and let them get to know your kids, so they can see you have taught them how to be respectful of animals. Our daughter was 6 when we started talking to our breeder, and she had no problems trusting us with our boy. They might be harder to find, but they are out there. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts