Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of tests are you looking for the breeder to have taken out on their dobes?..

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Done once are OFA of hips and elbows, cerf of eyes, vWD. Done yearly before breeding are thyroid and liver panels, echo and holter of heart. This in a perfect world which not everyone lives in. You have to decide what tests you have to have and what you can live without if you find a pup you want but one or both parents have had some, but not all of the tests. I may have forgotten a test, but I am sure someone will fill in.

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
Done once are OFA of hips and elbows, cerf of eyes, vWD. Done yearly before breeding are thyroid and liver panels, echo and holter of heart. This in a perfect world which not everyone lives in. You have to decide what tests you have to have and what you can live without if you find a pup you want but one or both parents have had some, but not all of the tests. I may have forgotten a test, but I am sure someone will fill in.
Actually the gene test for vWD can be done shortly after birth and is done only once. OFA for hips and elbows is done after 2 years. If Penn Hip was done it can be done younger but elbows would still be done by OFA and after two. CERF (eyes) should be done yearly but most breeders would only do it before breeding if it had been done once and was clear. My dogs are hardly ever bred but do full blood panels on them yearly (that way you catch some of the stuff that isn't symptomatic early before it becomes a problem--liver issues fall into this category). A full thyroid panel is recommended at around two with T4 or T4 and T4 by ED done yearly after that. For Dobes it's recommended that you do a Holter and echo at around two and yearly after that if the dog remains normal.

It would be nice, in a perfect world if all breeders did all of these test but the fact is as LindaH said, this isn't exactly a perfect world. Some breeders do some testing others do none and still others do it all. So you get to make the final choice of what you can live with and what you can live without.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts