Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
laying down trying to watch a movie last night.

*lexi licks my head*
me: lexi no
*lexi licks my head*
me: stop
*lexi licks my head*
me: quit it
*lexi licks my head*
me: go lay down
*lexi licks my glasses*
me: damnit
*dave goes and cleanes his glasses*
*lexi follows*
*dave lays back down*
*lexi licks my head*

Little bugger! :sweat:

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
Every time you acknowledge the lick it's a reinforcement, so you're actually training her to do it more! Don't feel bad, we did the same thing. Shanoa's a licking machine, and it's super annoying.

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
That's pretty funny, but when you tell her to lay down, you should enforce that :D These Doberkids man, lol.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every time you acknowledge the lick it's a reinforcement, so you're actually training her to do it more! Don't feel bad, we did the same thing. Shanoa's a licking machine, and it's super annoying.
I've tried to ignore it but that only resulted in my scalp being licked for 5 minutes, so unless her tongue has hair growth formula coming out of it the excessive licking definately gets annoying. I don't want her to think that if she licks me I'll just move out of the way. After all, I was on the couch that she usually likes to stretch out on.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Rather than acknowledging it, I would just redirect her licking like you would redirect a puppy for biting.

Reactions: Dave_L and Adara

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
I've tried to ignore it but that only resulted in my scalp being licked for 5 minutes, so unless her tongue has hair growth formula coming out of it the excessive licking definately gets annoying. I don't want her to think that if she licks me I'll just move out of the way. After all, I was on the couch that she usually likes to stretch out on.
Oh, I have no solution for you, just sympathy :)

Reactions: Dave_L

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That was really funny I'm sorry haha Diesel does this but with barking and he thinks it's hilarious. He comes up to me barks I say no barks again I say stop it barks again now I'm irritated and he just keeps going with his nub wagging full speed until I get up cause he wants my spot haha they really are little characters and demanding if they want something. It's a bad habit I'm trying to break.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do enforce my commands, although lately she seems to be a little rebellious. I assume that's normal. Going through the doberteens soon?

I'll try throwing her a bone next time when she starts licking, not sure that will redirect her, she really likes to lick and my head is a prime target!

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was really funny I'm sorry haha Diesel does this but with barking and he thinks it's hilarious. He comes up to me barks I say no barks again I say stop it barks again now I'm irritated and he just keeps going with his nub wagging full speed until I get up cause he wants my spot haha they really are little characters and demanding if they want something. It's a bad habit I'm trying to break.
exactly! Lexi's tail wags like crazy when she is licking my head.
I totally knew she wanted my spot. Eventually she jumped up and shoved herself in a small area behind my legs. lol

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I don't get licked...I get nose poked. Repeatedly. Until I'm ready to scream. Ignoring him usually makes it stop but some days he feels especially bratty :D

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Lol I don't get licked or nose poked..... Instead I either get drool puddles, or intense starting for 5 minutes, followed by a doberpaw to the face.....

The doberpaw to the face always accompanies a side glance as if to say "Did someone hit you? Didn't see nothin' over there....."

·
Registered
939 Posts
We have a licker extraordinaire too, and it drives.me.up.the.wall.

She runs at you licking the air.. then when she gets to you, you have about 2 seconds before you're covered in drool. Blech.

The worst is when I put down her food bowl and she'll eat a bite, then come lick me.. sooo gross! It makes my arms smell like kibble :rolleyesww:

I've tried correcting it, but its hard- shes just such a happy little thing.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Amy likes to lick to...I am pretty use to or ok with it / until my glasses get smudged, but the old girl has learned to keep this to a minimum...lol.

But don't try and plant a dober kissy on me, after she just ate a can of sardinees / I say "Amy, get that fish breath, away from Dad".

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Mabel doesn't lick but if hannah decides to hop up and there is no perceivable space(at least that she wants) she paces back and forth with sighs to let us know just how wrong this is! She is worse with Hannah in her spot, when it's me on the wrong end I usually get half pacing and sighs and half nose pokes to my hand and leg like "hey....hey you!.....your in my spot" if I dont move she will eventually settle on the other end...but we are all made aware that the diva has had to settle.
We have been working on having "her blanket" placed on the floor on my feet and i shift to feet on the floor so she can still touch me....she hates it so far but is doing what is told and getting the idea that next to me is the same as on the couch or she can just go lay in her crate...9/10 she picks the floor haha

Good luck! doberteens are lots of "fun" :p

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
speaking of boundaries....I put up a baby gate and tested her reactions behind it while I was home. She didn't even touch it after maybe 20 minutes.
So, next day I test her alone while I was out having dinner with my girlfriend. Less than 2 hours later I get back to find a missing puppy, who had jumped the gate and relaxed on the couch!
So, I decided to put it a little bit higher and tested her in there again while I was home. I watched a program for an hour....hear movement about 15 minutes into my show...Lexi is completely on her side trying to shuffle UNDER the gate!

man!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Maybe lexi likes the after taste of your shaving cream.LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts