Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Doberman puppies around the age of 4 months go throug a terrible two age? I think my Noah maybe.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
4 months is JUST the beginning of a rough 14 months. Conventional wisdom is that Dobermans get their brains installed around 18 months, so find a trainer and good luck. Even if you work in the afternoon, there are trainers that work at night and on the weekend (most do, since most of their clients work during the day).

A quick Google search found trainers up and down the state. Kasten’s, Lee’s, Duffy’s, Purpose Driven, etc.

Also, read as many books on dog training as you can. I strongly advise the reading of How to Speak Dog by Dr. Stanley Coren for a great education on body language. Then, keep reading. Read When Pigs Fly, read The Other End of the Leash, read How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves and then, keep reading.

Owning a Doberman is practically a full-time job when done right. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
12,800 Posts
Ok -- I'm back : )) MMc's post - on Training - A Dance is an excellent read ! I think she pretty much nailed it all raising a Doberman puppy - to me ? A must read .

I will say the my little girl - now almost 20 months has been the Altamont challenge for me - our story is nothing like MMc's , She has her own agenda and may be the most determined Doberman I have ever been around = her way or the highway - Yet - she shows signs of total brilliance and slowly we are getting there , just lie Beau - it takes time and plenty of deep breaths lol

One last thing - I think that MMc do an up-date on Beau ! -- I have inside info on his progress and it is outstanding ! The total failure has done a unbelievable job with him ! !

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Thanks, Doc!
I don’t want to hijack @Hannalore thread but I will add that no matter how much someone THINKS they are prepared for a Doberman, how experienced with dogs they may be, this breed is nothing like any other. Working dog, yes. Large-ish, yes. High energy, yes. Similar to a Malinois, GSD, Giant Schnauzer, Rottweiler? Not a chance. I have learned humility like never before and have learned so much more about myself with my boy and wouldńt change it for the world.
I will go on record again and state that I cannot imagine going through what I’ve gone through if I had kids in the house. That sounds like sheer insanity, to me!

·
Big Lil pup
7,537 Posts
@ MMc

LOL..You have no idea how many folks I have convinced that a Doberman is not for them. Friends who know my son's and my boys just assume that they came home from the breeder as the sweet, obedient and moderately protective dogs that they are familiar with. When I explain the time effort and possible expenses involved the are really surprised. My wife's best friend kept talking about getting a Doberman. Thus is a woman who's Rottie girl killed her cat and currently has a Scottie and a French Bull Dog that have never been properly socialized or even totally house broken.

And she wanted a Doberman puppy. Gee.... I wonder how that would have worked out?

John L.
Portland

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
@ MMc

LOL..You have no idea how many folks I have convinced that a Doberman is not for them. Friends who know my son's and my boys just assume that they came home from the breeder as the sweet, obedient and moderately protective dogs that they are familiar with. When I explain the time effort and possible expenses involved the are really surprised. My wife's best friend kept talking about getting a Doberman. Thus is a woman who's Rottie girl killed her cat and currently has a Scottie and a French Bull Dog that have never been properly socialized or even totally house broken.

And she wanted a Doberman puppy. Gee.... I wonder how that would have worked out?

John L.
Portland
Yes, I am ASTOUNDED at the people who actually have a Doberman and have no idea how to manage the experience. I feel bad for them and worse for the pups!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts