Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard this yesterday on a training video. I've never heard it before.

The glue that is used in tennis balls, when combined with a dog's salive undergoes a chemical process that makes it corosive to the dog's tooth anamel. Supposedly studdies have been made on this.

It's ok to give puppied tennis balls as they loose their puppy teeth, and it's ok to give grown dogs tennis balls to play with in water, as the water dilutes the dog's salive and the chemical reaction doesn't take place.

Any one else heard of this???

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I heard something about tennis balls...something about the dye maybe the glue like you said...but I don't know or havent heard anything other than that...it would be good to know :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I don't let my lot play with them anyhoo they just do not last long enough.

·
Premium Member
11,143 Posts
What I've heard about tennis balls, Zucker, doesn't have anything to do with the glue or a chemical reaction. The fuzz on a tennis ball is, in part, what makes it bouncy--the stuff that the fuzz is made out of is pretty abrasive. What evidently happens is that the fuzz itself abrades the tooth enamel in dog who spend a lot of time chewing on tennis balls and to a lesser extent to dogs who spend a lot of time chasing and retrieving tennis balls. The enamel on canine teeth is quite a bit softer than that of the human tooth.

I also don't give my dogs tennis balls because I was standing around at the clinic one afternoon when they did emergency surgery on a dog with an intestinal block--the block turned out to have been caused by the "skin" of a tennis ball--it was VERY identifiable. All of my dogs have been able to skin a tennis ball in about 20 seconds flat and some of them like to eat the things they have destroyed.

I do however teach most of them to retrieve balls and they are usually tennis balls--I don't think they do enough retrieving for me to cause much tooth wear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts