Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the terrible news about Nash's passing and ingesting a sock I have become very nervous about what I leave around for Bumpy to play with when I am not home. He loves tennis balls and chews them constantly - sometimes tilting his head all the way back with his nose straight up in the air. Now I have gotten concerned that he could swallow this? Am I being crazy or should I go with my gut instinct and only leave toys such as kongs..etc...around for him when I am not supervising him?

Lana

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I don't think your crazy go with your gut instinct, dogs have been known to swallow tennis balls. And I believe the rubber and other material use to make them is a little toxic. Kong makes a tennis ball for dogs, ******* has a few and they are really strong. I would only let him have them when you can supervise him.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I like to be watching when any of the gang have toys that have the potential to break up.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I am the same way as Brum, if I think that the toys might be torn to shreds while I am away, I don't leave it for them. I am a mean mommy. They don't get much.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am worried about Bumpy swallowing the tennis ball whole....he has an alligator mouth :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess is fine with tennis balls if she doesnt show interest at the time...but I take them away if she is doing the popping and skinning ritual lol.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Yeah.....I've put away the kitty toys Rudi likes to slob on. I've only left out a few dog toys that I think are safe for him while I'm gone. Like a Kong and stuff like that. The cats are mad and so is Mr. ..............but they'll have to deal. I don't want to have to face what happened to Nash. You are never ready for that. The time I came home from work and my white cat Bennie was screaching in pain I took him to the ER to find he had a urinary blockage. We were able to get surgery done but he already had signs of kidney failure. If he hadn't been screaming when I stepped into the front door....he could've died. he likes to hide...so sometimes i don't see him for the first few hours after I get home. I may have not been able to save him in time. You are never ready for a sudden death. Some people said "He's just a cat." But he's MY CAT!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
I don't think your crazy go with your gut instinct, dogs have been known to swallow tennis balls. And I believe the rubber and other material use to make them is a little toxic. Kong makes a tennis ball for dogs, ******* has a few and they are really strong. I would only let him have them when you can supervise him.
Too much tennis ball activity can also prematurely wear the teeth down, the covering is like sandpaper on teeth. So while some of mine like to play catch with tennis balls, I don't leave them down for "free play".

·
Registered
8,069 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, that is a good sized ball....not even my monster could swallow that....rip it into pieces perhaps - LOL - but not swallow. I will do some new toy shopping this weekend. What happened to Nash just broke my heart.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I am with Murrey. I do not let Cole chew on tennis balls because it wears down the teeth. I also know of a bitch that swallowed one and had to have surgery to remove it. If you dobe wants to chew, I suggest you get something other than a tennis ball or ball with the rough covering. They can shred that and swallow it in addition to the wear on the teeth. I've seen worn down teeth too.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Murreydobe said:
Too much tennis ball activity can also prematurely wear the teeth down, the covering is like sandpaper on teeth. So while some of mine like to play catch with tennis balls, I don't leave them down for "free play".
You learn something here all the time. I didn`t know about wearing the teeth down. I do know they get popped and torn when left alone with them.
I just use them for fetching. I can throw them farther.
Thanks for info.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is suggested then as a sort of "pacifier" per se? He likes to always have something in his mouth that he bites up and down on. Good info on the teeth issue, I had no idea.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I like the puppy kong (light blue with white swirls) for a dog that likes to "feel" like he's crushing his "prey" - they also have the puppy kong balls which are not solid kinda has the venting in between. Both work a dogs jaw muscles really well, but even my PSD (who shreds more toys then my Rotty) is not able to tear apart the kong. They do now have a kong that is dark blue and can be seen in XRays.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
We think that Kongs are the best toys for dobies.

We do NOT leave our kids alone with tennis balls. Titus does love them and will try and chew the "fuzz" off of them so much so that my husband had the horrible duty the other day of pulling a long stretch of the stuff from his rear end. No more tennis balls.

There are various types of kongs so you will be able to chose what best suits your dog depending on his size. Here are a few web sites that have much better prices than petsmart.

www.dog.com
www.petedge.com

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Oh my tj, Orson also loves to rip the fuzzy coating off. We don't let him have tennis balls any more, supervised or not. He sticks to his kongs & his super strong stuffies (in our presence)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
planet dog has alot of nice orbee tuff toys that are like a kong...make sure to look at the size so that you arent disappointed if you order on the internet
duchess has the large or medium sized world ball...and then they have two dice ones.
www.planetdog.com

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
You really cannot trust a Dobe not to chew toys up Buddy was really good about not chewing toys up, During the big Ice Storm we had he had to spend a little more time in his crate.He did have a big bear to sleep with it took out allot of the stuffing, now he tries to destroy toys so sticking with Kongs,Galeo Nylabone when playing with Patches toys watch him like a hawk.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am with Murrey on this, I read that the fuzz on tennis balls has a chemical that when mixed with an enzyme found in dog saliva actually creates a chemical that cause tooth decay. So Ajax never gets tennis balls.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts