Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
NO! Is that tooth loose, so you could pull it on out? If not, I would have a vet look at it as the new tooth is being displaced by the baby tooth.

How old is your puppy?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO! Is that tooth loose, so you could pull it on out? If not, I would have a vet look at it as the new tooth is being displaced by the baby tooth.

How old is your puppy?
She's 5 months old. Yeah, their not loose, I'll take her to the vet. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
If she is only five months old, you might could wait another week or two as the new tooth will pop into the right place when the baby comes out. I really wouldn't wait any longer than that or you might get permanent displacement of the new tooth. Try gently working it around to loosen it if she will let you,

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hi,

That's what my Taylor's teeth looked like. She had two rows almost. No wonder she chewed the wood trim, sheetrock, wood doors, etc. The baby teeth came out and the permanent ones are all there and nice and straight.

KC

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

That's what my Taylor's teeth looked like. She had two rows almost. No wonder she chewed the wood trim, sheetrock, wood doors, etc. The baby teeth came out and the permanent ones are all there and nice and straight.

KC
That makes me feel a lot better. Can you answer this also so I have an idea of how to proceed...

Were you worried when you saw them and did you consider getting them looked at and if so, how long did you wait until they corrected themselves? How old was she when they corrected themselves and was it the same on top too?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If she is only five months old, you might could wait another week or two as the new tooth will pop into the right place when the baby comes out. I really wouldn't wait any longer than that or you might get permanent displacement of the new tooth. Try gently working it around to loosen it if she will let you,
Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Sometimes puppies can have retained baby teeth. If they don't fall out on their own they may need to be removed so the adult teeth come in in proper position.

See your vet.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
We see this often in Vizslas. My vet always has me check the bite. IF it isnt interfering, we wait until close to 6 months and give LOTS OF chewing items.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
My friend's Golden Retriever retained some baby teeth, one fell out by itself, the other had to be removed by a vet so it wouldn't interfere with his bite.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Just remembered, you can also use an old towel or rag and play tug with her. Lots of times they will come out that way.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
That makes me feel a lot better. Can you answer this also so I have an idea of how to proceed...

Were you worried when you saw them and did you consider getting them looked at and if so, how long did you wait until they corrected themselves? How old was she when they corrected themselves and was it the same on top too?

Yes, I was worried. I worried all along on Taylor's teeth. She had her regular number of incisors and then one fell out and I couldn't remember if I was looking at her baby teeth or her adult teeth but I only saw five incisors and they are supposed to have six. Then finally the sixth incisor came in and that's when I saw the second row of canines starting on the inside. I thought well crap, am I going to have to put braces on this kid, LOL, not really but I did get concerned. I was due to take her back for a follow up on something else soon so I waited to have him look at her teeth then. By that time the adult canines had pushed the two baby canines out and her mouth looks great.

She's 5 1/2 months old and I believe they only had the two rows for maybe a week or ten days. It was not that long at all.

I agree with LindaH that you can play tug of war, give her bully sticks or other things to chew on. Unfortunately my Taylor honestly chewed on the woodwork, sheetrock, anything she could get.

I don't remember any of my other Dobes looking like this but I probably was not that observant.

If you are going to the vet this Saturday I don't see any reason to worry yourself sick between now and then.

Let us know.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,323 Posts
My last dobe girl, whom we brought home at about 11 months, ended up with a broken canine and a root canal which the vet said was likely due to the adult canine being displaced by a baby canine retained too long. You're safe to wait for a bit, but don't wait too long. Your vet should be able to advise you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I was worried. I worried all along on Taylor's teeth. She had her regular number of incisors and then one fell out and I couldn't remember if I was looking at her baby teeth or her adult teeth but I only saw five incisors and they are supposed to have six. Then finally the sixth incisor came in and that's when I saw the second row of canines starting on the inside. I thought well crap, am I going to have to put braces on this kid, LOL, not really but I did get concerned. I was due to take her back for a follow up on something else soon so I waited to have him look at her teeth then. By that time the adult canines had pushed the two baby canines out and her mouth looks great.

She's 5 1/2 months old and I believe they only had the two rows for maybe a week or ten days. It was not that long at all.

I agree with LindaH that you can play tug of war, give her bully sticks or other things to chew on. Unfortunately my Taylor honestly chewed on the woodwork, sheetrock, anything she could get.

I don't remember any of my other Dobes looking like this but I probably was not that observant.

If you are going to the vet this Saturday I don't see any reason to worry yourself sick between now and then.

Let us know.
Ok thank you so much.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh my gosh, the bottom right one just almost fell out while we were playing ball!! Ok, it's all good I think, as long as the rest follow :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
My girl, Tippy had her permanet teeth coming in with her baby one still there. The vet wanted to put her under and pull it. We decided to wait a little bit longer and it fell out shortly afterwards.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts