Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 2 months we are still in the process of learning the blind searches. This is something we spend a lot of time on. I hate trying to manage a long line but it is part of the deal. Thank goodness, we are now beyond the long line in the process of teaching the blinds (but not at the time of the video). By the first video (all taken at work week), we have been working on the blind search for over a month. At this point we are not concerned with tightening the run around the blind (that comes later). I am also trying to manage her vocal tendencies while in drive. However it is not really a battle I want to have out right in this learning process.

Cairo Day 2 Protection - YouTube

In the next video we have probably done a few sessions in between the first video shown. We are starting to establish going around the blind to to the here/front position. Also dealing with the crash into me (makes me and any men cringe) is not a battle I want to have right at this time in the sequence.

Cairo and Steve Blinds n Bites - YouTube

Cairo Day 5-2 - YouTube

Day 5-3 - YouTube

From these video's we would go from extending the length of the search and tightening up the blind. Where we are at right now (a few weeks after the work week video's, and don't have video) is setting up 3 blinds in a triangle about with me in the center and a distance of 30 yards to each blind. The helper is behind me about 6'. The dog has to come through me to get the reward of the helper. This naturally starts tightening the blind search as she starts to realize the sooner she gets to me the quicker she gets the reward. I will try to get some video of this process.

One other thing you will notice is that after every out, the dog is going into a bark and hold on the helper without a sleeve. There is absolutely no attraction from the helper like you will see in a lot of training. This makes it real for the dog in the situation because it is about the decoy and not about the sleeve prey attraction. Partly because of the temperament of Cairo and the training, her barking is identical with a helper with or without a sleeve.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I know nothing of Schutzhund but loved watching the videos! She looks like she loves it lots! I am going to keep my thoughts of her crashing fronts to myself other than I hope cups for water arent the only kind brought to the field. :lol2:

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know nothing of Schutzhund but loved watching the videos! She looks like she loves it lots! I am going to keep my thoughts of her crashing fronts to myself other than I hope cups for water arent the only kind brought to the field. :lol2:
I put a Sch3 dumb bell between my legs, LOL... (different kind of woodie) and that worked for a bit but am now going electric.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nice! Thanks for posting, she looks like a blast.

Reactions: Rosamburg
1 - 5 of 5 Posts