Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got in from our morning walk and good news is... Chi did not bark at any joggers (passed an entire flight doing their PT and she was awesome, I kept her at a heel and baited her with hotdogs and her attention stayed on the food that was in my hand not the "food" that was running passed us :)... Now up to this point we've just walked, I'm not going to start running with her at least until next fall (heard/read somewhere you should wait til they are mature before you really start running, the pounding is hard on growing joints and bones) but this morning we jogged like 1/2 block just to kind of stretch our legs and for me to warm up before I go to the gym and really run... The problem I foresee is... She is really great at paying attention to me, I mean this pups neck (and it's a telescopic neck btw) is wrapped around my leg with great eye contact but because she is so intent on looking at my face she misses turns sometimes, not too big of a problem unless I'm making a left... Are there verbal commands to teach her left/right turn? I know I can make something up now to use and she'll probably catch on pretty fast but in the event that we come back to the states when were done here I would really like to compete in OB or Rally or something and don't want to confuse her with commands she might have to learn then... Suggestions anyone??? :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yes, I have taught Lexus right and left. Really more for the beginning than now. It has helped her stay tuned when her attention has begun to wander. I did it on the advice of my instrustor for ob and rally purposes, in Rally you can talk to them as much as you want.

Now as her attention is very good, She generally gets it and I don't tell her, but if I'm noticing that she's gotten distracted I give the command rather than just turn and pull at her.

As for the left turn to teach her I gave her the command and raised my leg up a little higher to gently "bump" her with my knee as we turned. She didn't care for the knee (although I stress it was a bump not a "knee in the side") so she quickly caught on to give me my space.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Honestly I hate to say it but lexus is right the best way is to just make the turn and let the dog feel your knee a few times, depending on the dog it may take only 1 time or maybe a few more but generally they get it pretty quickly.

Also when you are out walking constantly make turns and reverse your walk, this will get the dog to pay attention to you and not predict where you are going next. They will be on their toes watching you to know they are still at your side.

Good Luck
TD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts