Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am starting IPO work with kane he is 13 months and i am just learning myself. right now we are just playing "The Game" and setting the ground work. my question is i wont be able to make it down to the club for training for another week or so and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for helping develop his targetting and bite grip. i know the club will be my best source of info but just thought id see if you guys have any tips.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I would say if you are new to just wait until you can get to the club for grip work and targeting work. A good grip is genetic, but owners can take a good grip and make it a bad grip with poor technique in play. Poor presentation of the toy, poor timing and poor tug techniques can change a dog's tendencies.

Foundation should be under the eye of expereinced people. The TD of the club can help you get good play techniques, but I would wait for that time.

Good luck and remember to always have fun!!

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
mmm I don't do this agility thing but know that cheese works for biting...:)
dogs consider cheese a target

·
Registered
990 Posts
My TDs tell everyone not to do any tug work at home with a young dog. They do say that getting the dog crazy about the ball is important and will play into protection and obedience later on.

·
Diamond Dobermans
25 Posts
For a dobe that age going into to Schutzhund you really want to establish and build the dogs prey and defense drive, chasing and retrieving the ball will build prey drive

1 - 5 of 5 Posts