Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I was curious as to what everyone thought on how soon should I start talking to breeders. I'm not gonna be ready for a new member of the family until some changes to my schedule and life are made. I'm looking at maybe a year or so from now.How soon should I start calling and asking questions and trying to get on lists ? I know some breeders have a long waiting list etc but, I don't want to be a pain and bother them way before I'm ready. Thanks in advance.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
I would go ahead and contact breeders you're interested in now and find out what their breeding plans are as well as just get to know them. I would wait though to get on a waiting list until I knew a specific time frame for when my schedule would allow getting a puppy. Most breeders will be understanding and even appreciative of such thoughtful planning on your part and they'll be fine discussing possible breedings and such until the time is right for you.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I too would go ahead and contact breeders you are interested in. Some have puppies sold way ahead of the litters even hitting the ground. As others have said, find out what their breeding plans are as far as timeframes and what kind of waiting list they have so far - that will give you an idea of what you are looking at. Let them know what you are interested in, sex, pet/show, etc.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information everyone. I will start looking into it now. I thought it may be too early to start bugging them. :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for asking this question.

I'm in the same boat as you Rowdy, probably about a year out from having a new friend. So these answers you get are pertinent to me also
No problem. I have more questions but sometimes feel like they would be to stupid to ask. I have been trying to search out as much info as I can find here before asking to many questions. If you don't mind me asking , what part of Florida are you in? Had Dobes before? Do you have any specific breeders in mind?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm at the exact same timeframe as you, likely a year, maybe a touch longer. What I have been doing is researching online what breeders I am interested in. Then, I go to local shows and look at those breeders' dogs (if they are there). After I watch the breed ring, I generally try to talk to one or two breeders that I like, even if they are not 100% the ones I am looking into.

I am very up front about the fact that I am researching the breed and breeders, as I am about a year away from getting a dog. Most are very willing to answer my questions and are generally happy I am researching before purchasing. I ask questions about the breed, their temperment, the lifestyle of living with the dog, health concerns and testing, etc., It usually comes around to their breeding program, what they have planned, who they know that may have litters coming up, etc.

I have also e-mailed back and forth with different breeders when the opportunity has arisen. I always make sure my initial e-mail includes who I am, that I am researching the breed, how I've been reseraching the breed, what I am looking for in a dog, what I plan to do with the dog, and any questions that I may be wanting to ask that particular breeder. I have found these e-mails to be invaluable as they often are able to point me in a certain breeders direction who may have litters coming up, or who's dogs may be good for what I am looking for. None of them have been annoyed that I was looking so far out, especially since some of the litters aren't planned until 2013 anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No problem. I have more questions but sometimes feel like they would be to stupid to ask. I have been trying to search out as much info as I can find here before asking to many questions. If you don't mind me asking , what part of Florida are you in? Had Dobes before? Do you have any specific breeders in mind?

I'm up in the panhandle of Florida, a little ways from you. I've never had a Doberman before, and this site is extremely helpful because of that. I've only recently began looking into the actual purchasing part, so no breeders in mind yet. That's honestly the hardest part. I've had K9 friends before, but none really as fine tuned as a Dobe, so the breeder was never a big importance, just as long as they weren't a puppy mill type thing. It seems a lot of the quality breeders are found by word of mouth, so sometimes its even challenging to know where to begin looking.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm at the exact same timeframe as you, likely a year, maybe a touch longer. What I have been doing is researching online what breeders I am interested in. Then, I go to local shows and look at those breeders' dogs (if they are there). After I watch the breed ring, I generally try to talk to one or two breeders that I like, even if they are not 100% the ones I am looking into.

I am very up front about the fact that I am researching the breed and breeders, as I am about a year away from getting a dog. Most are very willing to answer my questions and are generally happy I am researching before purchasing. I ask questions about the breed, their temperment, the lifestyle of living with the dog, health concerns and testing, etc., It usually comes around to their breeding program, what they have planned, who they know that may have litters coming up, etc.

I have also e-mailed back and forth with different breeders when the opportunity has arisen. I always make sure my initial e-mail includes who I am, that I am researching the breed, how I've been reseraching the breed, what I am looking for in a dog, what I plan to do with the dog, and any questions that I may be wanting to ask that particular breeder. I have found these e-mails to be invaluable as they often are able to point me in a certain breeders direction who may have litters coming up, or who's dogs may be good for what I am looking for. None of them have been annoyed that I was looking so far out, especially since some of the litters aren't planned until 2013 anyway.
Thank you. This is all good information.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm up in the panhandle of Florida, a little ways from you. I've never had a Doberman before, and this site is extremely helpful because of that. I've only recently began looking into the actual purchasing part, so no breeders in mind yet. That's honestly the hardest part. I've had K9 friends before, but none really as fine tuned as a Dobe, so the breeder was never a big importance, just as long as they weren't a puppy mill type thing. It seems a lot of the quality breeders are found by word of mouth, so sometimes its even challenging to know where to begin looking.
I agree. I have learned so much from this site. I didn't realize how ignorant I was. I have a couple of breeders in mind just not sure how to get started on the whole proccess. I haven't ever had a Dobe either. I had pits,rotties, and boxers but I have always wanted a Dobe.Nice talking with ya and good luck with your search.Hope to hear more from ya.

·
Banned
422 Posts
I would start calling around now. The breeder you have chosen will feel much more comfortable knowing you for a year plus. It will also give you the opportunity to find that "one" you really connect with.

Reactions: GrdnDelite

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would start calling around now. The breeder you have chosen will feel much more comfortable knowing you for a year plus. It will also give you the opportunity to find that "one" you really connect with.
Thanks for the information. Should I start with emails or just call them ? I know some breeders don't have websites or have very little information on them. I still feel like I would be bothering them for some reason.Kinda like car shopping before you really know what you want , if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pups in your avatar are gorgeous.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Thanks for the information. Should I start with emails or just call them ? I know some breeders don't have websites or have very little information on them. I still feel like I would be bothering them for some reason.Kinda like car shopping before you really know what you want , if that makes any sense.
Honestly I would call them if you can. I personally find email to be real shallow and hard to read. Trust me you wont be bothering them. Good breeders want to get to know you, and find out the kind of person you are. I called mine right after I sent in the "puppy questioner", and we hit it off right off the bat. I consider her more of a friend now than a "breeder". You will know when you find the right one. I called quite a few, and I knew by the second phone call with me her that she was who I was going to use. Like it has been said before, a lot of time reputable breeders have a waiting list, so if you are serious about getting a doberkid soon it would be best to get on that list now. If you wanted to start with an e-mail I would just tell them you are interested, and would like to speak with them whenever they have a free moment.

The pups in your avatar are gorgeous.
Thank you so much!! They are my little babies.

Reactions: GrdnDelite

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Honestly I would call them if you can. I personally find email to be real shallow and hard to read. Trust me you wont be bothering them. Good breeders want to get to know you, and find out the kind of person you are. I called mine right after I sent in the "puppy questioner", and we hit it off right off the bat. I consider her more of a friend now than a "breeder". You will know when you find the right one. I called quite a few, and I knew by the second phone call with me her that she was who I was going to use. Like it has been said before, a lot of time reputable breeders have a waiting list, so if you are serious about getting a doberkid soon it would be best to get on that list now. If you wanted to start with an e-mail I would just tell them you are interested, and would like to speak with them whenever they have a free moment.

Thank you so much!! They are my little babies.
Thanks again. I looked into one already. Their website only offered an email. I was so freikin nervous writing to them.I feel like a little kid ?? Weird huh ?Don't want to sound as stupid as I actually am.LOL. Left my number so, hopefully will hear back from them.Once again thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Excellent advice all the way 'round. I'm deep in research as well and would be happy to share what I've learned as I go along...my timeframe is shorter than yours.
It's a process- well worth your time and efforts!! Research - Call - meet - pet/pat 'em all.
;)

·
Banned
422 Posts
Thanks again. I looked into one already. Their website only offered an email. I was so freikin nervous writing to them.I feel like a little kid ?? Weird huh ?Don't want to sound as stupid as I actually am.LOL. Left my number so, hopefully will hear back from them.Once again thanks for all the help.
Dont worry my first call I felt like I was going to an interview for my first job ever.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excellent advice all the way 'round. I'm deep in research as well and would be happy to share what I've learned as I go along...my timeframe is shorter than yours.
It's a process- well worth your time and efforts!! Research - Call - meet - pet/pat 'em all.
;)
Yes please share all you want. That's actually the part I'm looking forward too. The meeting, petting and the puppy breath.Hopefully I will actually get the chance. I just don't know if I will meet their criteria. I'm a nobody in the Dobe world.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts