Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have serched the site and did not find anything on this...

My Deacon has a big problem with talking back. He is so smart but but boy he has a mind of his own!!!
For example:
If i am folding laundry he tries so hard to get a sock, underwear, anything he can get. If he manages to sneek something and i tell him "no" he puts it down and looks at me with the biggest puppy dog eyes you have ever seen and proceeds to yell at me. It isnt a bark and doesnt sound mean... it is almost like he is trying to form words.
This occurs everytime i correct him. Is he just hard headed and letting me know he doesnt want to listen? or what?
He will stomp his feet and just pitch a fit. I find my self laughing at him most of the time which i know doesnt help.
He obeys me.... i am just wandering if anyone has any experiece with dogs talking back. and if it is even something i should worry about since he does listen to me? and if you have any suggestions on how to get him to stop?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hey! I know what you mean. Gracie does the same thing. When she starts in I tell her to sit and down and stay. She has to stay for about 3 to 5 minutes then I release her again. So far this hasn't worked to well. As soon as she gets back up she starts her tantrum all over again. We have to go through the sit, down, stay 3 or 4 times before she gives up.

Good luck on this issue. I have been trying to get Gracie to stop since the month after I got her. I am sure you will get more better advice than what I just gave! But please keep us updated on this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have this issue.... but not with my Sasha(dobie)..... its with my pit Capone! the thing i have found that works is if you say "ENOUGH!" he realizes its not funny no more and he needs to quiet down. if that doesnt work he gets a time out in his crate until he does, and if he starts right after i let him out he goes right back. i also use the "SHUSH!" command and that works also

good luck

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Chi does it too. She does it most when her and Daddy are playing crazy chase games. He always stops the game and she stops and sits when he tells her to but will sit and stare and bark at him like mad for a second or two and then start with this garbled "arggggoooowaaaaa" thing. Now, Mark loves it when she does this and will totally reinforce it by initiating another chase game, go figure. Generally by the time he's done playing, she's had her fill and the final "argggggooooowaaaaa" is very brief before she gets a drink of water and crashes out for the night :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My half Dobie half Boxer Katie does that exact same thing, she always has to have the last word. As long she does what I ask her to, I don't care what she "says".

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Raven was doing the same thing when we were first training her.. we would tell her to sit and she would do this AArrrgggwwaaa sound and then sit, Kind of like.. ok I will sit but i don't want to.. she would do the same thing with laydown.. she is a lot better now that she is older..dogs are so funny

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for responding so quickly. i really like expressing himself and i love that i can always tell how he feels by the way he is "talking". I can sometime i can just hear saying "but mom..... i dont want to do that!!!!!":mad:

I just hate when really gets into one of his fits. Thanks everyone for the adivse i am going to try to work with him. I will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
491 Posts
My Darmok is very vocal, and as long as I know she is just 'talking' and not trying to be mean (which she would NEVER do...she is a total sweetheart), I encourage her to tell me things like 'I Want Out' which sounds like "IIiiiwaaaaaoowwww", or that the water bowl is empty "rrrruuufffff', or that she is having a good time with me "aaarrrrgggghhhhhh". I love it when my dogs talk to me!

·
Registered
101 Posts
My Cedric is definitly a talker too! I've been meaning to post and ask if all your Dobes talk like mine, I wondered if it was a Dobe thing or if it was just Cedric....guess I got my answer!! Cedric does a funny sound inside of him when he's really happy, it's hard to describe what it sounds like but it's kind of like a dogs version of purring!! And he also gives me a huge loud bark if I'm not paying attention to him and when I tell him to hush I get major talking back!!! Naughty boy LOL !!! Dobes are so neat!!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
There has been a couple of times at agility in the beginning when duch did that...not really when we corrected her...she would just get frustrated i think and start barking...and barking at us...maybe she thought it was play time. lol. Also when we go to do laundry...the room is carpeted...and she loves to bark at us and play bow...and bark...bark bark...then we go "BANG" and she lays her head down on the ground and looks up... funny stuff! your very lucky that your boy drops the sock...if we catch duchess running off with a sock...or underwear...she knows she isn't suppose to have it ...so when we notice it...and say duchess what do you got? she runs off on to the stairs and tightens her grip sooooo much....if you try to get it from her she pushes her nose into the ground. One time we were trying to get a tennis ball out of her mouth...and she squeezed that tennis ball till it was flat!!! and her mouth was almost shut! lol I think it is a game to her. :(

·
Registered
365 Posts
This is a subject that we've just been talking about too! Jeddah was pretty quiet when we adopted her, psycho but quiet!!! Now she is way more relaxed and happy in her surroundings, she's turned into quite a talker.....or nagger.....depending on how you look at it!:)

I was wondering if this came from the fact that we talk to her all the time, and when she responds, we then respond in turn, so she's once again happy to be the centre of attention. Funny how you inadvertently train these little habits into their lifestyle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts