Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have decided to feed ******* the raw diet. I was going to wait until she was older but have really been researching the raw diet and spoke with my holistic vet about it and decided to go for it. I started yesterday, her first meal was a turkey neck, a little tripe, heart, saff. oil vit. C, vit. E, kelp and a spoonful of yogurt. She is still getting her kibble in the morning but just until the bag is done. With all the petfood scares and just my own believes I think this is the best way to go. I picked up turkey and chicken necks, chicken wings, backs, and legs, some lamb, and a little ground beef. I paid $1.39 for 4 large turkey necks is this a good price?? Anyone in Ontario know of any good places to pick up meat cheap?? Right now I am buying the veggies from a supplier that packages them for the petfood industry. There is a variety of veggies and they are already ground. A little expensive but saves me alot of time. I have washed all the meat and then soaked it in apple cider vinegar and then freeze it. *******'s first reaction was grab it and run, she thought she had died and gone to heaven!! She loves it!!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you soak it in apple cider vinegar? Just curious.
ACV kills bacteria in meat. It also acts as a preservative. It's excellent for itchy skin, and full of trace minerals. :)

Reactions: LTH and Jenny

·
Registered
151 Posts
Be careful with the Veggies. Since they are packaged for the pet food industry, they may not be subject to the same controls as human grade food. Thus they could contain pesticides, not allowed or are too high of concentration for human food. You also have other bacterial issues with this situation. Not saying that your's does just saying be careful.

One of the things we do around here is soak all of our fruits and veggies in GSE (grapefruit seed extract). This has been recommended to us for years when we feed our parrots. This cleans the food and fends off the bacteria.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Be careful with the Veggies. Since they are packaged for the pet food industry, they may not be subject to the same controls as human grade food. Thus they could contain pesticides, not allowed or are too high of concentration for human food. You also have other bacterial issues with this situation. Not saying that your's does just saying be careful.

One of the things we do around here is soak all of our fruits and veggies in GSE (grapefruit seed extract). This has been recommended to us for years when we feed our parrots. This cleans the food and fends off the bacteria.

All the veggies are human grade, certified and inspected. Here is their website www.tryhealthypaws.com Thanks though for noticing! I use ACV for any bacteria issues.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Wahooo!!! I'm so excited for you. Welcome!! I had never thought of soaking the meat in ACV first.... hmmm, have to look into that, but I do add ACV to my veggie much because I was told it helps keep a healthy stomach.
Now, don't get too excited and feed too many different meats at once... stick with one kind for a while (1 week) then add another and so forth. Most new raw feeders are so excited to move forth, and end up with cannon butt!!!! Take it easy.
Also, make sure you don't feed too much bone, it's supposed to only be 10% of the total intake, so not too many chicken backs, necks etc. - feed a lot of muscle meat. It is hard for me not to feed too much bone, but if the by-product crumbles, you know you need to cut back... lol.

Good luck and keep us posted on how ******* does.

Reactions: LTH and Okie-dobie

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wahooo!!! I'm so excited for you. Welcome!! I had never thought of soaking the meat in ACV first.... hmmm, have to look into that, but I do add ACV to my veggie much because I was told it helps keep a healthy stomach.
Now, don't get too excited and feed too many different meats at once... stick with one kind for a while (1 week) then add another and so forth. Most new raw feeders are so excited to move forth, and end up with cannon butt!!!! Take it easy.
Also, make sure you don't feed too much bone, it's supposed to only be 10% of the total intake, so not too many chicken backs, necks etc. - feed a lot of muscle meat. It is hard for me not to feed too much bone, but if the by-product crumbles, you know you need to cut back... lol.

Good luck and keep us posted on how ******* does.

Ummm, I thought the bone, meat ratio was to be about 50/50 just like a prey animal maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Let us know how it goes. She will be living a dream.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Congrats! I am still really interested, but there never seems to be enough time to really get down to the nitty gritty of learning, pricing in our area, and such.

I want to follow your progress and feelings on the subject....so please post often as to how it is going with *******, price, ease of prep/feeding, etc...

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Welcome to the RAW club Lynn,you know how long the girls have been doing this and they absolutely love it,we did the same thing with the kibble,slowly eased it out the diet,expect a little sloppy poop now and again as her body gets rid of the additives that come with the kibble,she may also get a spots and or dry skin for a while as that is another way that their bodies get rid of the toxins from dried processed food.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Question for all you RAW feeders. Petey has been doing great....but is very thirsty and has had a couple of accidents because he gets so full of urine that he can't hold it at 5 months old. Is it normal for him to need more water on RAW?

Carol

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Question for all you RAW feeders. Petey has been doing great....but is very thirsty and has had a couple of accidents because he gets so full of urine that he can't hold it at 5 months old. Is it normal for him to need more water on RAW?
No, that is completely the opposite of what should be happening. Raw has a MUCH higher water level in it than kibble and they drink LESS water on raw.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Is there anything that I should watch out for? He seems fine other wise. The last two nights I ran him late, and he ate and drank late, maybe that's what happened.

Carol

·
Registered
420 Posts
welcome, okie-dobie! i am so happy to hear that! through all of my continued research, i have found that there are several opinions when it comes to muscle/bone %: some suggest 50/50, some 60/40, etc.

since i try to feed the whole prey model (not actual whole prey, only b/c i can't find it), i think that 50/50 is too high. i have not found any animal science papers that show an average muscle:bone ratio of more than 3:2 in chickens and 4:1 in beef. i definitely haven't read all the science out there, but i have not seen anywhere so far that a whole chicken or cow is 1:1,muscle:bone.

just my opinion, though, and i'm certainly no expert. that's just what i feel is good for luna. you should go with what you and ******* are comfortable with. just watch the stools. our vet says that if the stools are chalky and not tubular, then there is too much bone.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think there would be more meat than bone on a whole prey so I guess it wouldnt be really 50/50. So can you feed both muscle meat and neck in the same meal? Or split them up to morning meal and night meal?

Today I purchased some meaty lamb ribs, ground beef, whole beef heart, beef liver, and a whole chicken. I talked to the butcher and he is going to give me a good discount on some of the chicken and turkey that I buy. My freezer is completely full. I also divided all the meals up and put them in freezer bags so I can just pull it out each morning.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats! I am still really interested, but there never seems to be enough time to really get down to the nitty gritty of learning, pricing in our area, and such.

I want to follow your progress and feelings on the subject....so please post often as to how it is going with *******, price, ease of prep/feeding, etc...
No problem Acooper I will keep you updated. I have about 35 meals in the freezer as of this morning and I have spent about $40.00. So if you figure 2 meals a day for a month it's going to cost me about $80.00. I am sure though I can get much better deals on stuff and will be able to get that price down. I pay almost $60.00 for a 33lb bag of dog food which I think lasts me about a month, I can't really remember. In regards to preparing it, I spent about 1 hour cleaning, bagging etc. I'm sure this will get faster also. :)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
So can you feed both muscle meat and neck in the same meal? Or split them up to morning meal and night meal?
Once she' acclimated to raw feeding you can feed any combination you want - she won't care. So it could be 1/4 chicken with some ground beef on the side, or like you said, bony meal in am and just muscle meat in pm. Just watch the poops, and adjust accordingly. I have never watched poops so much....

Reactions: Okie-dobie
1 - 20 of 34 Posts