Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I might be getting transfered to either Germany or England for 3-5 years. Anyone have any experience with taking their dogs overseas? Or any info other info that would help thanks. We would really love to take our boy with us!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have traveled from the Japan to Germany with 2 dogs and 1 cat, from Germany to the US with 2 dogs and 1 cat and from the US to Japan with 1 dog and 1 cat - will travel back to the US from Japan next year with 2 dogs and 1 cat (can anyone guess what my "limit" is?)
Traveling with a pet overseas can be a pain but it really isn't so bad if you go into it prepared. Germany has no quarantine laws so to speak, England does but from what I understand, they are ever changing (maybe Brumwolf can look into it on his end for you?)
Japan has implemented this insane quarantine that can be completely bipassed if you have all the blood work done far enough in advance - check to see if either country has anything like that and get started on the tests as soon as you can to avoid delay in the future. (Pay close attention to times though, some tests have to be 6 months old but no more than 3 years - you have to make sure you stay in that window.
Are you military? If so, contact your gaining bases vet clinic - they'll be able to give you the most up to date rules.
Hope some of this helps.
Frisco said:
We would really love to take our boy with us.
There is absolutely no reason you can't :)
Just research and plan ahead as much as possible and you'll do fine.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Well the actual quarantine time here is 6 months But and it si a very big but there is the new pet passport but i am not sure if it is valid from the U.S.my guess is that it must as so many dogs are competing over here at Crufts from America.It involves havibg the dog vaccinated against Rabies and other things,then they have to br microchipped and papers issued to say that the vaccinations have been done to a the dog with microchip number and suchlikes.I know it counts for Europe but not sure about other places.I'm sure if you google "Pet Passport" it will tell you exactly what is required.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Brum,
I know when we were leaving Germany we heard about the new Pet Passport and at the time, if I remember correctly, it was only going to be valid within Europe. However, there was talk about making it more global in the future, especially for military members. I only remember this because at the time I thought, "wow, finally we can put in for orders to Lakenheath" :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys! We are not in the military, we both work for the Department of Defense. We will either be going to Lakenheath or Ramstein AB.

Anyone have any experiences about living in these places?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts