Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably gonna be taking in a 10 year old red Dobie pretty soon!

His owners wanted him PTS because they didn't want him anymore.

:sadcry:

·
Registered
357 Posts
wow, that is so sad that they just want to PTS.. i could never do that to any of my babys.. unless it was something serious and causeing pain.. but just because they dont want him!? that is rediculous.
I hope he works out for you! good luck.. oh and dont forget the pictures!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Ohh Kinteet, please take that poor old doberbabie. my pollo was almost PTS cuz of the invisble fence thing. after 10 years of giving love what a crappy thing to do. if anyone one deserves a little loving in return it has got to be this poor dog.
I wish I could come down and take him. please give him a big hug and and extra long ear scratch from me.

and again, bless you for your good work

cc

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I really hate these situations, they probably wanted to put him to sleep because he's so old and if he is left to the animal shelters then his life really wouldn't be worth living anyway, I just don't understand why they wanna give him up now!!!!! after TEN YEARS!!! I've got to check him out first to make sure he's adoptable and is not a danger to us or our children, I've also got to be prepared to keep him for the long haul as his chances of adoption are virtually nil with him being so old (people don't want old dobies) the the chance I'm taking is that if another dobie needs help I may have to pass it up as I will have no space, he's all "natural" too so that cuts his chances even further. Apparently he's a sweetie so I hope it works out and I can find a willing home because he desrves a good break!

I'll send pix and keep you guys updated!:cool2:

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
I don't understand the "taking a chance" part?

As a rescue person, if one takes on a 10 year old, I think one should probably assume they are adopting a new dog. It is very, very difficult, if not impossible, to find a home for a 10 year old.

Fortunately, I have one home that is a hospice home for such cases. She takes them in knowing they are probably never leaving. She took in a 10 year old four years ago, and he's still there. ;-)

Are you set up to be able to separate 2 males and still be able to provide each with enough attention? Many males won't tolerate living with another male, and at 10 years old, the senior may be very vulnerable to being picked on by your young male. You've also got a young child in the house - having 2 males isn't really the best idea *unless* you plan to keep them separated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you read my earlier posts you will see that I said I will have to prepare myself for keeping this guy longterm and that the chance I'm taking is hoping another Dobie doesn't need help while I still have him. I've had two males together before and they got on like a house on fire from day one until one got adopted. Right now I'm the only chance he's got and if every thing pans out I'll take him in.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I hope it works out for his sake Kinteet. I hope he is just a really big calm sweetheart and no threat to your little one.

Keep us posted, will be keeping my fingers crossed for him.

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
Kinteet said:
I've had two males together before and they got on like a house on fire from day one until one got adopted.
That's all well and good, but it doesn't mean this will be a repeat of the same situation. As a rescue person myself, I feel I must warn people of the risk. Doberman males are often same sex aggressive - it is such an intrinsic part of the breed that it is mentioned in our breed standard.

It's generally a situation to avoid - that's all I'm saying. One should go into it with their eyes wide open, especially when one has a toddler in the mix. It IS a risk, despite whatever experience you had previously.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Well if it doesnt work out Im sure there is a Doberman Rescue that will take him in and maybe have a foster home that he can be the only dog or with a female...
Thanks for being there for this oldie but a goodie :)

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
It is very, very difficult, if not impossible, to find a home for a 10 year old.

Fortunately, I have one home that is a hospice home for such cases. She takes them in knowing they are probably never leaving. She took in a 10 year old four years ago, and he's still there. ;-)

*looks at her "foster"*

everything mary said, x's 10.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts