Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks
well i had my lil apollos ears done today they look great...buuuuuuut i had his tail redone due to the fact that the breeder didnt correctly dock it so i had the vet redo it..heres my question after the redock it looks a lilttle long to me...still.
Does anybody have a pic of one just done as well? I know the second joint but can somebody give a length in inches? Some say they will grow into their tails a lil..that i dunno.
It is a lil shorter than it was just looks long to me compared to a adult dob maybe its something that will fill out in time? That i dunno i have never had a dob before so im lookin to you guys for your help.
When i saw the tail still was a lil long i blew a gasket:screama:....im going to call the vet tomm and ask wth...that just burns me if its not right.
he is a good vet ..been in pract for a long time i guess he would know what the correct length should be..i knpw it supp to cover the but...on mine its way past that
Thanks for taking the time to read this post and for your help!
Duker:)

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Not home, so I don't know for sure, but I'd say that Elka's tail is around 3 inches? It's long enough I can grasp it in my hand, short enough it doesn't come out the other side.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
If you can post a pic we'll have a much better idea if it's too long or not.

This was my puppy's tail at 8 weeks I think:

It was too long and needed to be redocked when his ears were cropped.. however it is still just a touch too long for my taste!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i cant post a pic with my phone for some reason but if i put my hand with my pinky near his but the tail comes to about my finger..not all the way thru but a lil close..maybe as he gets older and fills out it wont appear to be as long?

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Don't blow a gasket...at the vet or go for tail dock #3.
- not fair to your dog
The tail a smidge longer is better (covers bum hole...lol ) than short / and a short tail is what your headed for, by pushing the envelope.
- my current dobes tail is longer than my first pups...and I love it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't get too upset with your vet. He/she will probably have a good reason for leaving the tail that length. I work for a veterinarian and it is always hard to crop a puppy's tail once they are that old. They tend to mess with them, chew the stitches etc., and you could end up with a VERY short tail if the puppy messes with it and keeps chewing. Did your pup come home with a bandage on his tail?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Unless you're planing to show the dog then I don't see why it would be an issue. Actually, even then I'm not sure it would be an issue (unless it was vizsla length). I agree with the suggestions to not put the puppy through another surgery. It's so hard on them, especially as they get older.

·
Registered
27 Posts
don't worry too much my boy's is a short little nub, he's 7 mo and its ablout 2 inches...however my babysitter's boy is 4 yrs and his nub is longer about oh I would say 3-4 inches, both dogs look great, no funny stares at the dog park. I would just be sure that it heals properly with having it done a 2nd time.

·
sandy2233
2,474 Posts
Personally, I'd rather see a tad too long than a tad too short. Too short guarantees internal expression of anal glands rather than external. Most times external is easier on the dog than internal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi everyone
thanks for the comments and sugg.....apollo is doin great...ya after the surg it still looked a lil long but as he is getting bigger it seems to be shrinking...i know it doesnt shrink lol but looks like he is kinda growing into it so i guess im a lil more relaxed about it...it dont matter anyway i still love him...his ears are coming along good...i went with a med crop...id love to post pics but for some reason i cant do that with my so called smart phone....the tutorial posted here is the method i am using for the ears..couldnt be any easier
Thanks to all of ya for your help and if anybody knows how to upload a pic using a droid....id have tons of pics to share

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
where do you live in NY?

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,627 Posts
Here is a pic of Spock at 8 weeks old- first day home.
I thought at that time his tail docking looked too short.
Five of his littermates (out of 8 total) didn't survive due to infections, possibly from the dockings.
As he grew, his nub became more proportioned and looked okay- although I'm not a Dobe expert, this is my first one.

Spock at 8-Weeks- First Day Home with Lillah
(She Knew Right Away He Was a Pain In the Ass!)

Recent Spock Photo (1.8 yrs) Showing Nub Length

1 - 15 of 15 Posts