Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
Well I have a 8 week old pup and his tail has been docked but it seems a lil long to me. It mesures about 3" the breeder said he will grow into the tail and wont appear so long..is this true?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant feel the joints.....then again I dunno what im feelin for.....thats when I get out the ol tape measure

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
You have 2 threads on this topic. I posted this in your other thread as well.

"Tail docked at approximately the 2nd joint, appears to be a continuation of the spine and is carried only slightly above the horizontal when the dog is alert - tail length varies from one to three joints. One joint appears very short, while three can be quite long. The correct tail appears to be a continuation of the spine and is carried just above horizontal (when the dog is alert)".

source: Dobermans In Detail: 3-Neck, Topline, & Body

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'm just eyeballing it but my boy's tail looks to be about 3 inches.

Edit: I want to add that my boy is almost a year old.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
If he is 8 weeks old and the tails is already 3 inches it is too long may even end up longer than a weim. I measure my tails and have the vet crop them at 3/4 inch which makes them come out really nice.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hello everyone
Well I have a 8 week old pup and his tail has been docked but it seems a lil long to me. It mesures about 3" the breeder said he will grow into the tail and wont appear so long..is this true?
Your pup's tail is longer than my adult's tail... dunno how he's going to grow into it, unless the breeder thinks it is going to somehow shrink.

One thing I would consider is that a re-dock now is an amputation that is a much bigger deal than a newborn puppy dock (although breeders have tails "fixed" all of the time when pups are cropped).

The other thing I would consider is more speculation on my part, since I have never lived with a too-long dock. I am wondering if sitting will be awkward and possibly uncomfortable if the end of the tail is getting jammed into the ground every time your dog sits.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
The other thing I would consider is more speculation on my part, since I have never lived with a too-long dock. I am wondering if sitting will be awkward and possibly uncomfortable if the end of the tail is getting jammed into the ground every time your dog sits.
I doubt it would be anything more than cosmetic, my sis has weims who have docks similar to what I imagine this is describing. Never seen anything functionally wrong, but on a dobe it would look odd.

·
sandy2233
2,473 Posts
I would rather see a slightly longer tail than a too short tail. Too short and anal glands are very hard to express and have to be done internally rather than externally. And there is more discomfort with that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replys.....he goes in for ear crop in a few weeks maybe that would a good time to have his tail fixed...he.will be round 12 weeks.....what do you guys think?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm not sure that I would do both..seems like too much additional trauma. But that is just my opinion as I have absolutely no professional advice, but I'm sure you will get replies. You should also talk to your vet about this. Do you know why his tail was docked like this? I'm assuming the breeder did it, which (please don't take offense) would signal a big huge red flag to me. Even if you cannot/decide not to get his tail fixed you will still love him to pieces and he will be great I'm sure :) Enjoy your little guy! And congrats!

·
Premium Member
8,434 Posts
One of my girls needed to have her tail redocked due to obsessive licking by the dam. causing a bald spot. I do not recall it being a big deal with my vet. This was almost 20 years ago.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Thanks for the replys.....he goes in for ear crop in a few weeks maybe that would a good time to have his tail fixed...he.will be round 12 weeks.....what do you guys think?
It's VERY common for tails to be redocked or excessive scarring fixed at the time of ear cropping. I'd definitely do it then if my puppy had any kind of tail problem.

Of course, I'd only use an expert to do either-there just aren't a lot of vets with the skills to do nicely cropped ears.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys n gals thanks for all your info and help.....i didn't feel there was a problem doin this when he had his ears done either....how do they re dock them after?.i hope its not goin to be a big deal....how long does it take? Iallready ma ede the appt hopefully they can just do it the same day....lil apollo is gonna be under allready.....guess ill find out monday.
I don't know who did the dock orig but I have seen the vets work and he does a good job as far as ear crops go.the breeder even vol to take the pup and its a hr+ drive.....thought that was nice of him and after the ear surg he even offered to help with retaping:)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
In my country its illegal to crop after a couple of days old, as the bone becomes too thick. I would speak to your vet and see what s/he thinks. If it was me, I would leave it unless it was causing the dog problems.

Would love to see some pics of your pup :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well while I was taking apollo for his walk I ran into a woman who had a dob and while talkin with her I asked her about her dogs tail and she had said that her dobs tail was a lil long when he was pup also but as he got older his back side filled out and the tail didnt look so long...has anybody else exp this?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts