Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I'm from Australia and am looking to get a doberman this year.

I've always seen the doberman as cropped ears and docked tail, though they are both banned in Australia. However in New Zealand you can still get tails docked. I was wondering and i know this is a bit subjective and personal preference but do you think its worth paying around 1.5k more for getting one from New Zealand with a docked tail. In saying this, the breeder from New Zealand I believe is also more reputable, which is also reflected in the cost.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Hey guys

I've always seen the doberman as cropped ears and docked tail, though they are both banned in Australia. However in New Zealand you can still get tails docked. I was wondering and i know this is a bit subjective and personal preference but do you think its worth paying around 1.5k more for getting one from New Zealand with a docked tail. In saying this, the breeder from New Zealand I believe is also more reputable, which is also reflected in the cost.
I live in NZ and I would pay more to keep the tail on (breeders here don't really give you the choice) :) It's all down to personal preference. There are some really great reputable breeders in Australia too!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hey guys

This part matters more to me, I too have my preferences to purely cosmetic features such as tail and ears, but the breeders overall quality comes first, if they are more reputable than others i'd certainly pick them instead tail or no tail. :)

and to answer the cosmetic preference part, if it's what you really want and you have the choice to get it from a breeder that is first and foremost reputable then go for it, we all like what we like!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in NZ and I would pay more to keep the tail on (breeders here don't really give you the choice) :) It's all down to personal preference. There are some really great reputable breeders in Australia too!
haha we always want what we don't have. I've heard they're most probably soon to ban docking in NZ so you might be in luck!

Yes that is true there are quite a few good ones here aswell.

Have you heard of Dobersmith in NZ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This part matters more to me, I too have my preferences to purely cosmetic features such as tail and ears, but the breeders overall quality comes first, if they are more reputable than others i'd certainly pick them instead tail or no tail. :)

and to answer the cosmetic preference part, if it's what you really want and you have the choice to get it from a breeder that is first and foremost reputable then go for it, we all like what we like!
I agree with you 100%. Just wish i could talk to some people with experiences with a few particular breeders!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi there :) we are in Australia and our 2 (nearly 3) year old doberman, Ace, is all natural :) his big floppy ears and curled long tail are way too gorgeous. he is a very beautiful dog, and we wouldnt have him any other way! i have a few pictures of him my profile if you want to see!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I agree with you 100%. Just wish i could talk to some people with experiences with a few particular breeders!
we're a pretty diverse board of worldwide members.... can't hurt to post a thread asking about the breeder.

You can also check out the stickies on what makes a reputable breeder, red flags to watch for, and etc.. to make sure you are as educated on what reputable really means as is possible.

examples:

be wary of "cardio clear" cardio testing is never that cut and dry, it's comprised of echocardiogram readings and holter monitors and as a bonus thanks to recent testing pdk4 gene results. Run from anyone who denies DCM or cardio is an issues in general or in their lines, some lines may be luckier than others but it IS an issue that affects the ENTIRE breed.

vWd is either - carrier, clear, or affected

Hips/elbows will be - fair, good, excellent

Make sure they are titling in a worthwhile venue such as conformation, or protection (but I believe the later is banned in your area....)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your replies.
MiaLowe&ACE. Ace looks huge haha. Which breeder did u get him from?

Sam1491. I posted a thread in the breeders section but havent gotten any replies yet :(

·
Got mutt?
13,654 Posts
tell that to the dobie that gets a broken tail.
Every dog I've ever owned had their tail, and the only one to have a broken tail was Gin, and it was my fault, because I accidently shut the door on it.

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
So, using your argument, shall we chop their legs off just in case they break one of those too? :rolleyesww:

My first two dobes had their tails. I lived with the two of them together for 10 years & there was never any injury to either tail. Never had anything knocked off coffee tables either. ;)

A dobe with a tail carries it high & it curls over their back. Why would that make them more likely to break their tail than a breed that carries their tail lower?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I guess if it were up to me, I'd go nub butt vs tail. However, I don't mind long, waggy tails either. If a dog landed on my lap like an emergency foster turned failutre (aka Roux), I wouldn't mind either way.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I think the money spend is up to you. I know I would want a docked tail because I don't like tails whipping me, knocking things off, hitting kids in the face... It's purely cosmetic and it's purely a personal choice. I would say "yes" if the breeder is better and you're getting what you want, then it's worth it.

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,267 Posts
Those who feel so against cropping and docking, I hope your dogs are not fixed, and if you have children you did not circumcise your boys or piece the ears of your girls. If we're talking unnecessary procedures that the patient cannot consent to, that is.

And yes, I say this as someone who would have liked a 100% natural dog and still loves his cosmetically altered boy.

OP, the choice is up to you. Personally I would go with whoever is more reputable and who can give you what you're looking for in a dog over a cosmetic difference. We have people from around the world on this forum, so expect a variety of answers!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot guys, It is more of a personal choice, but the more important choice is the quality of the dog, and their temperaments health etc

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
:laughing:

Show us one, just one, peer-reviewed article, just one well-designed study, that shows Dobermans with tails break them due to not being docked.

I think the money spend is up to you. I know I would want a docked tail because I don't like tails whipping me, knocking things off, hitting kids in the face... It's purely cosmetic and it's purely a personal choice. I would say "yes" if the breeder is better and you're getting what you want, then it's worth it.
I think people who make comments like this don't really know Dobermans--obviously don't know that Dobes carry their tails over their backs and don't "whip" things with them the way a Lab or a Dane or a Pit would, with the way those breeds carry their tails.

Reactions: kaloric and ataro

·
Super Moderator
21,300 Posts
There are enough crop/dock debate threads on this forum. Please use the search function to read them if you so choose. We don't need another argument thread.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.