Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I had my puppies tail docked at 7 weeks (july 30).. Removing stictches today but saw the tail for the first time yesterday and freaked out how long it looks, wondering if this tail dock is too long ? I hate hot dog tails.. The vet said he will do it at the 2nd joint but it seems a little longer to me...Also, does the tail get any longer as he grows older ? Feeling very frustrated as im kinda ocd with these things.. Could you also show me a pic of how it will look when he is older ? Appreciate all your help and comments
thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can see the pics in the gallery by clicking the icon on the left side of the post
Thanks !

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I can't see your pictures but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

When G. was a puppy I thought the same thing. Actually I thought "if it's this long now, how long will it be when she's full grown?" But actually she grew into her tail very well. So although it maybe long now, don't fret because once they get bigger they grow into them fairly well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why is the tail getting docked that late ? The breeder should of had it done at two or three days old....
yes i know i wish he had done it but i found tht out after i purchased him.. it wasnt too bad tho, by 2nd day he was virtually pain free.. any comments on the dock ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't see your pictures but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

When G. was a puppy I thought the same thing. Actually I thought "if it's this long now, how long will it be when she's full grown?" But actually she grew into her tail very well. So although it maybe long now, don't fret because once they get bigger they grow into them fairly well.

Good luck!
thx for the reply, ya ive heard they grow into them and i spoke to the vet today after removing the stitches put my mind at ease.. can u have a look in my gallery i uploaded some pics there :) tell me what u think ? the work looks real good tho

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
That's definitely not too long! Looks great! You can see some of Gretchen's puppy pictures in my gallery and her tail was equally as long but probably longer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lovely dobe and wat gr8 ears.. hopefully my guys tail will be like tht, thx for the pics, uve reassured me and put my mind at ease :) i was a wreck lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in the same boat my dogs tale was docked at the second joint 5 days ago at 9 wks , the problem I have is my dogs tail droops downward where the second joint ends and the vet left a good inch and a quarter past that which has no support causing the droop . I'd be happy if it just straightens out and looks like your puppy's does though it's still too long for my taste as all my other dogs were done at the second joint and that's what I'm used to . Anxious to hear later this week what the vet is gonna say about it .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to my vet he said my dogs dock is at 2nd ? Wat do u think ? Also u got any pics of ur dogs tail ?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
You be the judge , does that look strange ?
That is definitely not right. Always good to leave a little extra skin to prevent adhesion or allow repairs if necessary. But, that is way to much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is definitely not right. Always good to leave a little extra skin to prevent adhesion or allow repairs if necessary. But, that is way to much.
nice dobes u hav, the tails r all different lengths which would be most similar to my cut ? and is mine cut at the 2nd joint ?

·
Pocket Doberman!
165 Posts
That's definitely not too long! Looks great! You can see some of Gretchen's puppy pictures in my gallery and her tail was equally as long but probably longer.
Her tail looks GREAT now. (Actually she just looks great in general.)

I think the dock looks normal. That's about what my puppy's looks like, and she's growing into it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You be the judge , does that look strange ?
I can't really tell from the picture, but how much skin is left over versus how far back was it shaved? It definitely does not look right, and I would probably get a second opinion from another vet. Juneau's tail was done at 3 days, but was not quite healed because his litter mates had aggravated it and kept ripping the stitches out (not a great "breeder" situation). One vet recommended re-docking to fix it, but warned that it is pretty difficult once they are older, and that there can be several complications. It ended up healing fine without a re-dock once it was left alone, but I would get that checked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts