Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My 7 mo dobie is biting/licking the tip of her tail and now has a small open wound. Her coat seems dry and flaky. I also noticed 2 small dots on the inside of her back leg that she is biting as well. We've been told it could be allergies, or not enough oil in her diet. Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
If you are feeding her good food and you haven't changed it and if her overall coat looks dry and flaky, personally I would take her to the vet to have her checked for allergies.
And I wouldn't let it go one much longer either given she already hurt herself with scratching, it can only get worse.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
You most likely have two separate issues: a skin condition and a tail dock issue.

Please do take her to a vet, but do not necessarily expect a general practice vet to be familiar with tail dock neuromas.

You may have to pull up some articles from some good sites on the net, and bring with you. Be courteous (obviously) in presenting them--just tell them it's something you're wondering about, given her behavior, and that it's fairly common with tail docking--and have them check for you.

Address the skin condition, and possible causes, while you are there as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts