Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago we noticed Iris had a swollen spot (out of the blue) on her right front leg just above her "wrist". She has not been limping or favoring her other leg, nor does she seem to be in any pain when we touch her there. We took her to the vet this morning. He shaved the swollen area to see if the was a bite or bruising or redness. There was none. She checks out as completely fine no fever , seems to be nothing broken, ect..aside from the swelling. She is only 7 months old, so he doesn't think it is anything more than her either bumping it or spraining it and that it is just a build-up of fluid. So she is now on anti-biotics twice a day for 2 weeks and wants us to pretty much keep her contained and not running around, and keep an eye on the swelling.
I do know that it has only been the past 2 weeks since she has been going to a dog park that has a lot of rocks and she runs like crazy there. She aboslutely loves the park and the other dogs, so that will be the hardest part , not taking her every morning. Just wondered if anyone else has had anything like this happen to their dog.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Did the vet explain why he put Iris on antibiotics? If anything I would think muscle relaxers or anti inflamatorys but not antibiotics. It seems like antibiotics are perscribed for everything anymore. I refuse to use them unless they are absolutly required due to surgery or a bad cut or something. Good luck on keeping her contained. A bored dobie is hard to live with. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He prescribed Clavamox in case the swellelling was caused by a bite (insect or dog) although we could find no evidence of any skin break. Also he said I could put a hot compress on it to facilitate the swelling going down. Her leg looks pretty much as swollen today as it did yesterday and she is exhibiting no signs of pain. Just full of energy and raring to go . I am thinking maybe her lying in the sun , which she loves to do today might help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible to have exercised her too much? She went to the dog park twice on the day prior to the swelling. She basically just runs and plays on her own terms while there. She is just over 8 months old and I do know they don't suggest agility until after they have grown. Am I worrying too much?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am not sure you can exercise to much especially if she is doing it on her own terms. If they get tired they tend to stop playing but it takes a lot even for an 8 month old puppy. If you were talking about running on concrete or doing road work you can potentially hurt them but on grass in a park I doubt it. Did he take xrays of her leg or just feel around on it? Dobies are real bad about not showing pain. Worrying to much? In this case probably.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No the vet didn't do an x-ray yet, just shaved the area and felt all around. The x-ray is the next step. He just wanted us to wait and see if it just goes down on it's own. The dog park is a new one and it doesn't really have any grass and alot of stones and rocks , which he thinks she may have hurt herself on while running. I just hope and pray it is something this simple. He thinks she is too young for a tumor and the way it just seemed to appear so suddenly seems to go against that too. Without her excursion to the park she is as devilish as can be today. <g>

·
Registered
323 Posts
They do tend to look for things to get into when they are bored don't they. Teach her a new game or something to keep her occupied. Let us know how everything goes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What was the outcome of this please? My dog has something similar, just a puffy bigger than a golf ball (Roma tomato) sized "bump" (for lack of a better word). It doesn't hurt her at all and nothing is wrong with her. The feel of it reminds me of when you burst a blood vessel, how it puffs up and is very soft. I'm taking her to the vet in the morning but I'm confused by it today because I can't come up with a idea even of what it could be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts