Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy has a swollen right front foot. It looks like the third toe is swollen the most. He's limping plus he's licking it like crazy. He's also licking farther up his leg a little bit. I can't see any obvious wounds or bite marks or splinters, etc. He's been licking it a little the past few days but that's not really unusual. Late this afternoon is when he started limping and I noticed the swelling a couple of hours ago. The swelling has not gotten any worse. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea what it may be or has anyone else's dog had this issue before? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Atlas had a swollen toe this past summer. X-rays showed nothing. At first nothing was done, just leash walk. Went back and he was put on an antibiotic--which took care of it. It was a process of elimination. He may have gotten something along his nail line or who knows what. I also soaked (my idea) his foot in warm epsom salts. Figure it couldn`t hurt him.

The vets were all stumped at the time.

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
My Rat Terrier, Lucky broke a toe, and had similar symptoms. Another possiblity is that he stepped on something, and it is stuck in between his toes or pads. Good luck at the vet's.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My boy has a swollen right front foot. It looks like the third toe is swollen the most. He's limping plus he's licking it like crazy. He's also licking farther up his leg a little bit. I can't see any obvious wounds or bite marks or splinters, etc. He's been licking it a little the past few days but that's not really unusual. Late this afternoon is when he started limping and I noticed the swelling a couple of hours ago. The swelling has not gotten any worse. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea what it may be or has anyone else's dog had this issue before? Thanks in advance.
I'd definitely get it xrayed to make sure there isn't anything broken. Sometimes soft tissue injuries can cause a lot of swelling too. Will he let you move his toes around? Any swelling up his pastern or any obvious heat in any of his toe joints?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd definitely get it xrayed to make sure there isn't anything broken. Sometimes soft tissue injuries can cause a lot of swelling too. Will he let you move his toes around? Any swelling up his pastern or any obvious heat in any of his toe joints?
He whimpers when I press around on the third toe. I don't notice his foot being any warmer than his other ones. I also don't notice any swelling going up his leg or anything.

·
Registered
99 Posts
He whimpers when I press around on the third toe. I don't notice his foot being any warmer than his other ones. I also don't notice any swelling going up his leg or anything.

Sounds like a soft tissue injury but broken toes will swell up pretty big and can be pretty painful too. Ice won't hurt and I wouldn't let him run around on it until you get it looked at. Hope he's on the mend soon!

Reactions: natdobe

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
It could be a broken toe, a sprain, strain, muscle tear, or infection. The only way to know is process of elimination, which your vet will do tomorrow. Hope he recovers fast :) in the meantime, you can get some frozen peas, wrap in towel and gently apply to the toe for 10minutes, then leave alone for 10, then apply for 10. Repeat as often as you want. This will help with the swelling and dull the pain.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll definitely ask for X-rays and any other necessary tests. He's hurting for sure and I hate it. Thanks for the tips and everything. I applied cold packs but it is now bedtime. Although it may be a long night but hopefully he will at least get some rest.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The vet said my boy has a pustule on the bottom of his foot. He gave antibiotics and some anti inflammatories to take.

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Ouchy! Glad to hear it's not as serious as it could have been. Hopefully, the meds will kick in and he'll feel better soon. I understand that Dobes can be sensitive to some of the NSAIDs, so I'm sure others with more experience will chime in on that. Could you post the names of the meds, so others who know more than me can give an opinion?

Reactions: natdobe

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The vet said my boy has a pustule on the bottom of his foot. He gave antibiotics and some anti inflammatories to take.
A pustule or abscess? Sorry, I get a little nit picky when it comes to lumps and bumps lol.

If its a pustule, did he scrape the surrounding areas just to make sure what it is?

Hope the meds work so your pup feels better :)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rosemary, the antibiotic is Keflex and the anti inflammatory is Previcox. He only takes the Previcox once a day for three to five days.
DogsR4Life he said it was a pustule. He's seen them quiet often he said. He said the two meds he gave will clear it up. Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts