Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should it take for an antibiotic and anti inflammatory shot to show results? My 10 year old Doberman looked normal and happy last night until he suddendly started rubbing his eye. The eyelid became swollen. They gave him shots and antibiotics today but it doesn’t look any better this evening. He also has a small lump underneath the same eyelid. They said it is benign.

Also, I noticed that his left rear leg is swollen. I’m trying to schedule an appointment with his long time doctor who is booked. Does anyone know what it might be? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,869 Posts
If I had to guess (and that is ALL this is) I would say that the swollen eye is from some kind of insect sting or bite--bee, wasp, ant, spider...the toxin or venom can cause swelling on its own, and an allergic reaction (which can be relatively mild) causes even more swelling. It sounds like they tried to hit all the bases with an antihistamine to counteract any allergic mediated swelling, and an antibiotic to deal with a possible infection??

I think the swelling from a insect sting might hang around for a couple of days. Antihistamines don't actually work to treat whatever swelling or allergy symptom has already happened because of the actions of histamine--they just keep more histamine from being activated and causing additional problems..

I had one dog who developed a lump in his eyelid like the one on his other eye (is that what the one you are talking about looked like prior to the swelling?). I don't remember quite what it was, but we eventually had it removed, not because we were worried it was cancerous necessarily, but because it looked like it was starting to irritate his eyeball.

The swollen leg--do you know where they gave the shots?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Melrod. Thank you for your reply. My vet seems very conservative because he never suggests getting them removed. He has a few small soft lumps under the skin and skin tag looking growths. The one in his eye is inside underneath the eyelid. You can’t see it unless you flip the lid slightly. I think it is irritating his eyeball actually. Thanks for letting me know about your experience. I will find out whether they can remove it. I noticed the swelling on his leg at least two weeks ago but I thought I was imagining it until I got a good look at it today. I’m hoping it’s not something serious. They gave him the shots today so the swelling isn’t related.

·
Super Moderator
25,869 Posts
If you see the swelling change size fairly rapidly--if it gets bigger and more noticeable and then appears to shrink, and then maybe grows larger again, especially after you've squeezed or poked at it a bit, it could be something like a mast cell tumor--which may or may not be serious. That's another thing to bring up with your vet.

Moveable soft lumps under the skin (lipomas) are fairly common in dobes, especially as the dog gets older. Skin tag can be too. Generally they are merely unsightly and cause no real problems, so vets will not remove them unless they are getting irritated because of where they are, or if they are interfering with the actions of a nearby muscle. If there is any doubt, a vet will sometimes take a microscopic look at a sample of cells from a lump to see if it is anything concerning that needs further treatment. I have occasionally asked a vet to remove some lipomas if he is anesthetizing the dog for some other reason, but would not take a dog into surgery just to remove the lump.

I am NOT a vet and internet information is worth exactly what you pay for it (nothing). But it doesn't hurt to do a little research and then bring your questions to one who actually has had the training to know something. Keep us updated. :)

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
The swollen eye may be from the lump in the eye lid - irritating the eye ball - or from him rubbing it .

The swollen back leg sure looks like where the gave him is shots at .

BUT -- I'm not vet either : )))

·
Alpha schmalpha
4,066 Posts
I hope the swollen leg is from a shot.
Like Ken said about the eye it could be a lump or possibly a ingrown hair which can be painful .
Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Did they give you some prednisone? The problem with something that is itchy, is that they will spend a great amount of effort to scratch it. I would ask the vet for some steroid to see if that will get the eye under control. He may need to wear an elizabethan collar for a couple of days.

·
Super Moderator
25,869 Posts
Update?? We'd love to hear how things are going for you guys...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts