Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

We're swithcing both pooches over to Acana soon but wondered if anyone had any feeding guides?

We're going to use the all ages stuff so we can feed them both the same stuff.

For Molly, it's no problem - we'll feed according to the guide on the bag cos she's a fully grown dog.

But how should I feed Bruno given that he's still a pup and there's no puppy feeding guidelines with Acana?

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Honestly, I never feed according to the bag. I feed whatever amount works with each dog. Acana is pretty high calorie compared to other foods so I would err on the side of caution rather than risk overfeeding at first. But my girl Tali puts on weight so easily. I tend to pay close attention to her calories whereas I can get away with being benevolently neglectful of what Fiona's calorie intake is.

Fiona eats 2.5 - 3 cups of Acana per day and Tali eats just under 2 cups per day. Even though they're both adult dogs Fiona would lose weight if she ate the amount Tali does, and Tali would become obese if she ate the amount Fiona does. I also have to factor in other calories they get daily - training treats, cottage cheese, yoghurt, chicken breast, etc. - and how active they are. It might take some adjusting to find out what amount is good for each dog.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Figure the calories from what you are feeding now and figure the amount of Acana needed to equal the same amount of calories. You need to always match calories to figure feeding amounts. Be careful not to overfeed puppies, especially males, or you can cause bone growth problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts