Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
If you take a look at one of my recent picture threads, you'll see why I'm posting this.

Juno will not gain, and I hate seeing her ribs. She's currently on Taste Of The Wild Bison & Venison. My vet said she looks good, but.. Not to me. She eats 2-3 times a day ranging from 7-9 cups. Depending on how much I can get her to eat. She'll get yogurt, eggs, or veggie oil to encourage her to eat. Its a struggle.

Do any of you think changing will help? I mean, is it worth the $15 price change? And can I look for it in a store vs ordering it? I haven't been able t find it anywhere yet.

Help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
640 Posts
What is the calorie count in each? Both are good foods in therms of ingredients, but buffalo and venison are pretty lean meats. Does the red meat formula have some fattier meats in it? 7-9 cups of kibble is a LOT of food!!!

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,602 Posts
Coco would never gain weight at that age either. I tried lots of high quality kibble but nothing worked. When she was a year old I switched to raw and have never looked back. Raw has definitely worked for Coco but I realize it is not for everyone. Have you thought of trying raw? :butfly:

Reactions: Sinister

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coco would never gain weight at that age either. I tried lots of high quality kibble but nothing worked. When she was a year old I switched to raw and have never looked back. Raw has definitely worked for Coco but I realize it is not for everyone. Have you thought of trying raw? :butfly:
I have, just reading more and more about it before I switch. I can sometimes do 50% raw depending on what I have slaughtered.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,602 Posts
I am by no means an expert on kibble nutrition, I just know what worked for Coco. It did not seem to matter which kibble she was on it was like she could not absorb what she needed from it and was always really skinny. So skinny that people used to comment that I should feed her more. She is really tall too so she looked even skinnier! Hope you find what works best for beautiful Ms. Juno. :butfly:

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Prime was skinny for a long time, he was very slow to mature. I personally stay away from TOTW because it's manufactured by diamond and EVO since proctor& gamble bought out Natura.

Maybe find out what Juno's littermates are eating and how they're doing?

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Prime was skinny for a long time, he was very slow to mature. I personally stay away from TOTW because it's manufactured by diamond and EVO since proctor& gamble bought out Natura.

I guess I can PM Kara.

What are you feeding?

·
Premium Member
10,122 Posts
Hi everyone,
If you take a look at one of my recent picture threads, you'll see why I'm posting this.

Juno will not gain, and I hate seeing her ribs. She's currently on Taste Of The Wild Bison & Venison. My vet said she looks good, but.. Not to me. She eats 2-3 times a day ranging from 7-9 cups. Depending on how much I can get her to eat. She'll get yogurt, eggs, or veggie oil to encourage her to eat. Its a struggle.

Do any of you think changing will help? I mean, is it worth the $15 price change? And can I look for it in a store vs ordering it? I haven't been able t find it anywhere yet.

Help is much appreciated.
I think part of her problem is her age--and I think she gets quite a lot of exercise too as I recall? If she's consuming 7-9 cups of kibble a day and eating 2-3 times a day I'd be checking calory count on the kibbles I was thiking of feeding. Even my young intact males who are showing tend to be thinner than I'd like them for conformation (because you are always trying to make them look more mature than they are)--if I were a realist I just wouldn't show them so young but it's my excuse to go to shows. But even those dogs aren't eating that much--7 cups maybe but not 9 cups a day.

I see that you already check the EVO as a possibility--but be aware that EVO does not recommend most of their diets for dogs under a year or so.

And even though I don't usually feed anything except adult food to my dogs who often eat adult, rather than puppy food from the time they are weaned one of the tricks used to keep geriatric dogs in good weight (they frequently tend to be on the thin side in their old age) is to give part adult and part puppy food.

It works for the oldsters and it works for adults who (like one of my dogs) tend to drop a little weight in the winter because I keep my house so cold. But if you try that bear in mind she's really still a puppy--and I'd far rather have a slim puppy who has the muscle to support the growing structure than try to add weight which will come along with maturity anyway.

Good luck.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I do like Evo Red Meat as a kibble, and I have not noticed a difference in how the dogs do on it since the change of ownership. However, I would not give Evo to a young dog. The protein is too high for growing dogs which can lead too growing too fast and too big, pano etc.
If you want to add weight to her consider satin balls. You can look up the reciepe on DT and they are good for adding weight to dogs.
But your young pup will be going through growth spurts for the next while and can look thin during the spurts.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Just for reference this is a side view.

Thank you guys for the feedback! If it's too much protein, I'll hold off for another 5 months. It just makes me feel bad when people sort of stare.

Ooopps, ETA, dobebug, yes she gets lots and lots of exercise. She's very well muscled.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
My local feed store carries about every high quality food under the sun and all for very reasonable prices, however, they are not located on any of the 'store locator' sites. I have found a lot of feed stores (not dog/house animal specific) carry wide variety. Everyone in there is extremely helpful, and will do anything to help a person out (for instance they let me take back two bags of dog food with over 10lbs taken out of it that were 2-3 months old).

All of the people there who have agility dogs or just hard gainers, swear by Orijen. They all say its the only food that they don't end up giving 8-9 cups a day. And then again they work at one of the best food stores in the region, so they've likely tried about all of them! If you can't find a store local, Mr.chewy offers free shipping over $50 (which most foods will cost you anyways!) They have great prices.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My local feed store carries about every high quality food under the sun and all for very reasonable prices, however, they are not located on any of the 'store locator' sites. I have found a lot of feed stores (not dog/house animal specific) carry wide variety. Everyone in there is extremely helpful, and will do anything to help a person out (for instance they let me take back two bags of dog food with over 10lbs taken out of it that were 2-3 months old).

All of the people there who have agility dogs or just hard gainers, swear by Orijen. They all say its the only food that they don't end up giving 8-9 cups a day. And then again they work at one of the best food stores in the region, so they've likely tried about all of them! If you can't find a store local, Mr.chewy offers free shipping over $50 (which most foods will cost you anyways!) They have great prices.
I have farm animals - and normally get my TOTW from the feed store. There's another I'll have to check next time I'm in town. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
You need to relax and just let your puppy grow at her own rate. She looks like what a dog her age and build should look like. Who cares what JQP says or thinks? You don't want her to look like a walking ottoman, like some of the pets one sees. Aaaand, a dog shouldn't carry the same "flesh" as a horse. Of course, now they're saying that people keep their horses too fleshy as well.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
That's how Prime looked for a long time, he is also highly active. I've got my dogs on Acana. Prime eats 4 cups a day. I know a lot of people like EVO and totw, for me though it's the company issue, I just don't like/trust them. EVO is what I fed until the buyout. Personal choice, that's all.

·
Aggressive Female
3,720 Posts

Jaguar eats 3.5 cups twice a day... he's also on TOTW (same kind).

He keeps his weight on well... but Elsa had problems keeping on weight at her age up to about a year old or longer (and she IS her aunt lol)... I wouldn't worry about it too too much, their metabolisms are just SO high. You could switch to a higher calorie food if your really worried about it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I wouldn't change anything...I think she looks great. Nice muscle, wonderful coat. Hans was on the lean side for quite a while. I got so worried about getting him to eat that he became fat really quickly and I didn't even notice just how fat he was.

Since you are also working her, I would much rather work on getting a good food drive out of her rather than worry about her weight.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wouldn't change anything...I think she looks great. Nice muscle, wonderful coat. Hans was on the lean side for quite a while. I got so worried about getting him to eat that he became fat really quickly and I didn't even notice just how fat he was.

Since you are also working her, I would much rather work on getting a good food drive out of her rather than worry about her weight.
She has drive for anything but her kibble. Which, has paused our tracking.
I've heard good things about dehydrated liver?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts