Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the girls come next week. The food they are on is crap, plain and simple. They will be one week shy of six months. From a general point of view, I know every dog and situation is different, how quickly can and should we switch to the better grade food. We don't want to hurt their tummies or have to deal with diarrhea while they are dealing with a new home.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The switch should be made over a 7-10 day period.

What are you going to feed? I just bought Peaches a bag of Canidae chicken and rice. Her coat really looks like crap from the Natural Balance she was on.

I really wanted to feed her a grain free diet until all these recalls blows over, but they were to expensive for me.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have switced Orson and Phoebe several times just to try what is out there and see what works best.

What is normally recomended is to mix new food in with old food gradually....ex, Orson eats 2 cups, 2 times a day. I mix 1/2 cup new to 1 1/2 cup old for the first 5-7 days. Then I go half and half the next week, then 1 1/2 cups new to 1/2 cup old for the last week. Orson & Phoebe have never had a problem switching over.

You may be able to speed up the switch a little if the dog/dogs have not had a sensitive stomach issue in the past............I just do it slow to avoid a messy, uncomfortable issue with these two.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we are still trying to decide between Innova and Canidae. Innova is $35 for 33# and the Canidae is $40 for 40# but the Canidae is a long drive to get and the Innova is a block away from work.

Angie, I would not have asked if they were on something quality to start with as we would have switched pretty close to what you suggested. I was hoping to hear something a little quicker if it is safe because of the food they are on is so bad.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Well I am not sure I would call it 'unsafe' to just start them on a new food. I think you can just give it to them if you want to, you just run the risk of an upset stomach..........usually in the form of diarhea <sp?> because it is a shock to what they are used to eating.

I would think if you just switch them, and they get a touch of the hershey highway it probably wouldn't last more than a day or two until they adjust.............unless the new food doesn't agree with them for other reasons.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Angie,
I did not mean switch cold...I was hoping to do something like you suggested but change the time frame to like a week to 10 days.

·
Registered
821 Posts
OK Mama if you say they are on crap food now if you go up the scale to a high quality food like you mentioned it should only take a few days. I've never known going from yuck food to a premium to be a problem the other way down the scale yes. You should be able to make the switch in a few days to a week. My guys eat Canidae and I love everything about it. Some people came over today and all they could talk about was how awesome my dogs coats were. I do not use any supplements just the great dog food. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Ok for me...I decided to just do it, when I put Petey on RAW. Petey had chronic diarrhea on Solid Gold and then Innova. His gas problems chased our guests out of the house...so I just jumped feet first. I switched him cold turkey, two days of slight runs, and he has been solid since and no gas!!! I'm not sure that would work with dry foods...but the better the food they better they feel!

Carol ox

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Depending on the dog I would just switch right away. You could do a one meal fast then just switch.
Two of mine can handle anything. One of mine is VERY intolerant of change. So just depends on the dog.
Good luck, I think either of those foods would be a good choice and an improvement.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
When all this recall mess started I switched cold-turkey from Wellness to Canidae. I was not satisfied with the answer Wellness gave me when I e-mailed them and asked where and by whom made the dry food. A plant in Oklahoma was the best they could do after two e-mails. Rex was switched to Canidae and is doing great on it. No upset when I changed foods and I was mad enough at Wellness's lack of response to switch him that day. I had used the Canidae Sr. for my old Dobe and he did great on it for the last years of his life. If the Canidae web site is to be believed they claim that everything in it is from America.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Like everyone else mentioned, it really depends on what their stomach would tolerate. I always try to do it slowly and as long as 2 weeks if I have to. I try starting off with a 25% new food/75% old food ratio. If that works for a few days, then I move up to a 50%/50% ratio for a few days and so on. You will definately be able to tell if its not working out for them. Longer and slower is better if you are able to do it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK folks Ma talked to the VET today when she picked up the Canidae. The food that the girls are on now is so crappy that for the first couple of days we should only put a handful on top of their normal food, then go to the 25-75 then 50-50 then 75-25 and finialy to the 100%. So we are probably looking at 3-4 weeks before fully switched.

So basically the answer to the questions are this:
If your pup/adult is on high quality food and you have to switch all at once to another high quality food it is no real big deal. If your pup/adult is on crap then the difference is so great that it can be quite a shock to the system and you need to go slow and cautious. This is all under the assumption that there is no allergic reaction to the food, which is why on any switch do it gradually unless you have to do it quick, like with the food recall and such.

Hope this is of help to some of you.

24 hours before we leave to pick up the girls! :boldblue: :boldblue: :boldblue:

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
If your pup/adult is on crap then the difference is so great that it can be quite a shock to the system and you need to go slow and cautious. This is all under the assumption that there is no allergic reaction to the food, which is why on any switch do it gradually unless you have to do it quick, like with the food recall and such.
Yep, this is what I was trying to say :)

And Whooo hoooo, for twenty four hours to go!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Know of a pup that was on home cooked foods new owner put him on Beneful Puppy food,poor puppy owner said the pup did not like the new food wonder why.
Patches Mom
Yes explained to owner Beneful was not a good food??? never understood why people spend big bucks for a pup then feed it [email protected]@P
Patches Mom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts