Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We switch dog food 2 weeks ago & for the first week I was mixing the old with the new then we ran out of the old and now been feeding her just the new. Problem is she is having lose stools on a regular basis. Question is should I go pick up another bag of the old stuff we were feeding her and keep mixing it in or is this new stuff just to rich for her I know before we got her she was always on some cheap brand or another. We made the switch from Iams to 4health chicken n rice. Granted she loves eating the new food more happily then she like eating the Iams but its not agreeing with her. So not sure if we should continue to ride it out or go pick up a small bag of iams and do it even slower? Thanks all.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
What proportions did you get to, 1/2 to 1/2 or what? You might be feeding too much. You may not have to feed as much and overfeeding will cause soft stools. Compare the calorie counts and feeding recommendations of the two foods. That should give you an idea. If you cut back the food and that doesnt help, you might be looking at the food not agreeing with her. You could also cook some chicken and rice and use it like you would the old dog food. Boil the skinless chicken in water, remove chicken, measure out 2 cups of the water and use it to cook 1 cup rice, not minute rice. Start at half and half for three days, then 1/4 C/R to 3/4 new food for three days, then all new food. Soft poops, probably the food.

·
Registered
732 Posts
4health is not a rich food. Lower in calories too. You could try to feed maybe 1/4 cup less per meal or get some canned pumpkin and feed a couple tablespoons per meal till the stool firms up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well she's not the type to over eat she eats her food when she feels like it but if it was human food yes she would gorge her self but we dont give her human food as we dont want bad habits to come from that but I think before we got her she was rec'v human food not sure but just a guess.I dont give her more then 2 cups a day & sometimes she does not even eat all that which what ever she dont finish gets put away in the evening. When I said rich I meant as in from going from cheap low quality stuff to a better quality food. I will try the pumpkin though I have read about that and its worth a shot. I believe this is her first time on being on a rice blend so that might be the issue if the pumpkin does not seem to help then guess we will have to make a change...thx for the suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts