Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Random question-do your dobies swim? Beau likes to wade in but hasn't had the courage to go past shoulder deep yet...he is a blue and has a thin coat so we definitely haven't tried too much since it has been the chillier half of the year (I refuse to call it winter if there isn't snow!)

He is very ball driven so I think that we will eventually be able to get him to swim I was just curious...but for your viewing pleasure now watch this super funny video of him trying to "will his ball to come closer" (he makes his typical sound in the beginning which sounds like whining or humming-do your dobies make this sound?? Also, don't worry he eventually got his ball back!

Beau really wants the ball but not to swim! - YouTube

A couple more fun pics:
Beau acting as the Joker at the dog park :)

When I was trying to practice doing a patient physical exam (I am a medical student) on my husband...when I got to doing a knee exam he laid here:

Man I love this baby of mine...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Swim

My two dogs love to swim. When I teach them to swim in the pool I put a long line on them and pull them across the pull to keep their back legs floating and moving. It prevents them from doing the typical doggy paddle when they can't feel the bottom of the floor. It will only take a couple of times for them to get comfortable, now my dogs jump in the water and dive for the ball. Good luck

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Yes but she can't swim and doesn't know it. We supervise very carefully at the river and usually wade in with her. If we go somewhere where it's dangerous (like a dock and you can't wade in) she wears a life jacket and still thrashes about! Yet still GOES In.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My first girl swam like a fish. Now Lexi she loves to "swim" but she does it as well as a 20 lb rock. Even with a lifevest on, her heavy butt makes her sink like the Titanic. But she thinks she Rockin it ! :D

I also have to keep an eye on her, like I said, she thinks she " da Bomb", so I worry about her getting somewhere I cant help her.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
No way! I wish they did. Ripley can't swim. He sinks. I don't think he kicks properly. His back end goes under and then so does the rest. He swam properly once, but that's it. It's not his thing at all. And Keira I don't even know if she knows how to swim. She's been afraid of deep water ever since she jumped off a bridge into a deep part of a creek accidentally around 10 months old and went pretty far under. I've tried to get her to swim since, but she wants none of it.

They both will splash around in the water up to their chests though. As long as they can touch bottom/walk, they're good.

Reactions: Sherryh and brw1982

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Mabel likes her kiddie pool, but I haven't been able to get her to swim yet, we went took her to the lake Michigan beach once last year and she was afraid of the waves.....she also hates the hose.

I plan to take her to a dock diving pool though this summer and have the guy let me toss her in and see if she realizes it's fun :) I'm so evil :p

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Yep! It took about 10 months before prime was comfortable swimming. It's hit or miss though, sometimes he acts like the water is going to bite him and other times he thinks he is an Olympic diver and I can't keep him out of the pool!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
My 2 love to swim now...Jackson not at first, but I kept taking him down to the water and he eventually learned to love it as you can see by the pics below. I bought him a vest and that helped tremendously with getting comfortable with the water, once he was comfortable, there is no keeping him out now.

Here is Ms. Bella styling her vest:

And here are both of them in the water playing ball...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Chase loves the water but will only go in chest deep. A friend mine was ready to throw a stick as far as it would go into a lake, I shouted 'no! He can't swim!' but too late. Chase dived in, went under, I had to go in after him lol. This summer I plan on getting him used to the doggy paddle, there are plenty of shallow beaches in Toronto he can practice in :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Somewhere I had seen a life vest with on either side like a...stabilizer bar ( like an outrigger canoe ) so the dog would be kept upright, evenly in the water but I have been looking and looking and cant find em anywhere...if anyone knows where I can find one, send me a PM lol

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Neither of my girls has been given the opportunity to really swim anywhere. It's been too cold to let them loose at the lake and rivers when we go and I refuse to let them swim in the ponds the cattle use on my parents farm. *gag at the smell coming out of those ponds*

Fiona is offended at standing in a kiddie pool with 3" of water in it or, God forbid, being expected to run through a sprinkler like a barbarian! However Fiona enjoys baths just fine. Maybe it's specific to water outdoors with her. I have no idea what that dog is thinking sometimes, but I highly doubt she will ever have the desire to swim.

Tali would live in water if I let her. She lays in their kiddie pool in the summer and rests her head on the side and naps. She races like a wild woman through the sprinkler water and bites and jumps and spins. She has the best time outside, but she doesn't love baths and will try to climb out of the tub if you turn your back.

So maybe Tali is offended by filtered water? I think Tali may just be offended by being clean in general. She can find mud holes anywhere and will promptly cover herself nose to nub in mud. She loves it! And I bet she'd probably enjoy swimming.

Reactions: Sherryh and hjgrl

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Luci hates water, rain, baths, the hose, a kiddie pool, doesn't matter, she hates it. However, she will wade her little tippy toes into a lake or river to get a drink.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts