Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hiya

Some of you asked me about swimming lesson experience so i decided to do this thread for you.

Since day one I've noticed that our pup hates water to the extend that she would pee on the patio so she doesn't get her feet wet on a wet grass after the rain. I have done sm research and it looks like she is not alone. Most Dobies don't like it.

My underlying feeling was - this is not good - she needs to swim so i don't have a problem down the line when she develops sore joints etc (just want to help her in the future).

I have contacted a local water therapy centre and yes - they do puppy classes, and yes most of them for dobies - 'not a graceful swimmers' as the lady described it. I am sure you will be able to find one near where you live - if you have a difficulty locating one - speak to the show dog ppl - they know everyone and everything.

On our first lesson she was put into a doggy life jacket with 2 lines attached. She was introduced to the water from easily accessible ramp - and very slowly. Then I was asked to call her and make as much noise as possible. I must admit the poor thing was fighting for her life at first and all i could do was to laugh uncontrollably - evil mummy! She was drowning herself with her own splashing.

After that she relaxed and followed me to the other end of the pool. The purpose of the 2 lines and 2 ppl was to keep her moving forward in the straight line. We did 8 lengths, after that she was stretched and massaged to avoid stiffness.

Half way through the second lesson - she 'graduated' from the life jacket to a harness - she was doing well - less splashing and less encouragement to get in.

Unfortunately after that she developed an ear infection and we had to stop the lessons. Since she needs to have her ears taped next - we have to leave it for a while now. However - when i take her to the park - she does not avoid water - just gets in with other dogs. Swimming pools are still a bit of an issue for her so we will continue in the new year.

For now I leave you with some photos from our lessons. Enjoy and Merry Christmas from both of us! http://www.dobermantalk.com/images/smilies/newyear.gif

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. It's such great exercise for them!

I too had the same problem as you, my girl was TERRIFIED of water. When we went to the beach, even the water splashing on the sand would make her jumpy.

I unfortunately live in a country where the wonderful lessons you've described aren't available, so I have to do it all my self and think of home remedies for things.

Luckily, my jack russell, at the age of 3, suddenly started LOVING the water. I got him gradually used to it. I'd throw his toy in a tiny bit, til he was knee deep, then he'd go get it and get loads of praise, and I'd throw it deeper and deeper until one day he ran in after it and before I knew it he was doggy paddling with his tail wagging to his toy and has loved it ever since.

Layla is so madly in love with her little jack russell brother, I decided he'd be a great tool in showing her the water is fun and nothing to be scared of. She follows him around like a shadow. So I'd do the same thing, throw the toy nearby so he'd chase and she would chase him. She was hesitant and first, not following him into the water.

So one day, after getting her more and more used to the sea, I brought her absolute favourite squidgy ball to the beach. You should have seen the excitement on her face when I pulled it out of the doggy beach bag.

I threw the toy in, deep enough that both her and him would need to swim to get it. She goes bounding into the water enthusiastically after her brother and the next thing, before she even realizes whats happening, she's swimming!

Now I can't keep either of them away from the water! They have such fun, positive associations with the sea now, they just dive in whenever they see water and get the "ok!" command.

Too cute and a great water to get all their energy out.

Swimming fun is greatly greatly encouraged from my point of view! :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just found this picture, after a long day playing and swimming, she's so tired later in the evening that she eats her dinner lying down...lol

IMG-20111024-00493.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing this. It's such great exercise for them!

I too had the same problem as you, my girl was TERRIFIED of water. When we went to the beach, even the water splashing on the sand would make her jumpy.

I unfortunately live in a country where the wonderful lessons you've described aren't available, so I have to do it all my self and think of home remedies for things.

Luckily, my jack russell, at the age of 3, suddenly started LOVING the water. I got him gradually used to it. I'd throw his toy in a tiny bit, til he was knee deep, then he'd go get it and get loads of praise, and I'd throw it deeper and deeper until one day he ran in after it and before I knew it he was doggy paddling with his tail wagging to his toy and has loved it ever since.

Layla is so madly in love with her little jack russell brother, I decided he'd be a great tool in showing her the water is fun and nothing to be scared of. She follows him around like a shadow. So I'd do the same thing, throw the toy nearby so he'd chase and she would chase him. She was hesitant and first, not following him into the water.

So one day, after getting her more and more used to the sea, I brought her absolute favourite squidgy ball to the beach. You should have seen the excitement on her face when I pulled it out of the doggy beach bag.

I threw the toy in, deep enough that both her and him would need to swim to get it. She goes bounding into the water enthusiastically after her brother and the next thing, before she even realizes whats happening, she's swimming!

Now I can't keep either of them away from the water! They have such fun, positive associations with the sea now, they just dive in whenever they see water and get the "ok!" command.

Too cute and a great water to get all their energy out.

Swimming fun is greatly greatly encouraged from my point of view! :)
Great story - thanks for sharing. I tried to use other dogs (just like you did) for 2 months and it wasn't working. I guess i just have to stick with lessons!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts