Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took Odin out today in the nice weather and we went to the lake. I was throwing the ball in the lake but not to far since I didn't bring his life vest. Odin hit a deep spot in the water and was struggling to swim, I think he was trying to feel for the bottom on not focusing on trying to swim. He wasn't going anywhere and he was really having a difficult time, but he wasn't panicking.

I took off my shoes because I just bought them and didn't want to ruin them but I forgot to take out my phone so that got ruined. I was just worried about getting Odin out in time before he really panicked. I stepped into the water and took a couple of steps and slipped a little and thought I stepped on a rock. Pulled him in and he was fine but all of a sudden I saw blood and thought it was from Odin but it turned out that the rock that I stepped on wasn't a rock and that I cut myself.

6 hours later and we are finally out of the hospital and end result is 12 stitches, so lesson learned to always bring the life vest if I plan on playing with Odin in the water and that Odin can not swim to save his life. Poor guy was all worried about me and my bf was having a hard time handling him. He was surprised at how strong Odin is.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Did you step on a piece of broken glass? 12 stitches sounds impressive. Going to post pictures?

I've learned to avoid (as best I can) the areas of beach where people like to hang out. I learned to do that after my German Shepherd Dog got a couple bad cuts from broken glass. It's extra sad when you realize that kids (who have even more fragile skin than dogs) are just as much at risk from a$$holes who throw their beer bottles, etc in the water and on onto the rocks.

Remy has had a difficult time learning how to swim too. I started him out in the water young, so he CAN swim (sort of). He has progressed to where he actually enjoys frolicking in the water, but only as long as he can touch the bottom. Once the water gets deep enough that he can longer bounce off the bottom he's done playing.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Sorry about your foot! Glad you are ok. Don't give up hope that Odin can learn to swim. Monty has always only gone in the water to the point that he can no longer touch bottom, I've never forced him beyond that point. He has been a wader since the day I brought him home, loves the water but no swimming for him. This Spring he has gotten completely CRAZY for any game of fetch, Frisbee, ball, stick, what ever you will throw for him....he can't get enough. Both places we hike there are nice ponds and one has a river, so every day I throw a stick in for him but only to the distance he will go out to, and after he is all crazy for the game....I throw it a little deeper, and repeat. He started swimming just a bit the last couple of weeks and now finally.....he is jumping in and swimming and NOT CARING that his feet can't touch the bottom! It took 2 years....but I now have a swimmer! Petey went in the water all year round, he loved to swim just for the joy of it. He refused to fetch anything...that was for dumb dogs. I miss him every day.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
So glad Odin was unscathed after his swim in the deep stuff. Bummer your foot got cut, must have been a bottle or something like. I guess you got a Tetanus jab for your trouble too huh.

Toby is not fond of water, but with the aid of my friends dogs he has been going in to the depth of his ankles at least for a paddle. To be honest I do not want him going in the river or canal hereabouts, both have mega strong currents that will easily sweep him and me away. So paddling is as much as I allow him to do.

Well done for jumping in, I have done that twice with my dogs, first my Mastif whom I discovered swam like a brick, from top to bottom and stayed there and my Terrier who was being swept away by the rivers current. Both times I ended up with a dog hat which apparently was hilarious to see, but not hilarious to experience.

How long will you have to keep the stitches in, or are they dissolvable ones? Go on post pictures of your war wounds sustained in the name of the Dobe nation.

I vote we award Odin's mum with a medal all in favour say "I".

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Glad you are doing ok and Odin made it out safely. I agree with Luvbirds...dont give up! Since I brought Kyrah home I have played with her and the hose and water in general. She has always loved to go in about chest deep. I once got her into a pool and she didnt seem to care for it. We still played in the ponds. We got a boat a few months back and Kyrah enjoys riding. This past weekend we went to the sandbar which is a place where the water is approx a couple feet deep and you anchor your boat. Lots of people do this hanging out & cooking. We went to check it out while there still were not a ton of people out there last weekend. I got out the boat and was walking around. Kyrah ran once to the front of the boat then to the back and with a leap of faith jumped into the water and swam towards me. I lifted her back end some and walked with her as all of us (hubby, Dexter, myself & one of my daughters) walked towards the even more shallow area. We got to where she could reach and she walked around and then we swam back to the boat. She got on and I did it once more seeing if she would jump which she did. Then as we were sitting eating she went to the back of the boat and was whinning looking down. So I went out with her one more time. :) I am so excited that she is becoming a water dog! She will be 3 at the end of this month. So it just make take sometime. I tried to never force the issue and let her do it on her own.

·
kopfgeschlagen
2,671 Posts
Glad Odin is ok and your foot will be all right. Elke did not like the water at first; even the tide touching her toes would send her running. Now she'll go diving into the waves to chase a stick (especially if she has a friend with her) and I can hardly get her out of the water sometimes. Keep with it and keep it fun!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will keep it up, I didn't buy the life vest for nothing. Especially since the ordeal didn't phase Odin. One of the reasons he didn't panic is because he knew I would be there for him if he needed.

As for pictures I don't have any of Odin of that day but my bf did take pics of the cut. I'll post a link later when I have my phone with me to upload them. I have to keep the stitches in for 12-14 days and I have to walk on crutches for a few days.

I don't know what I stepped on, I think I might have stepped on a sharp rock because there was a lot of dirt in the wound.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Oh, what can I say... You're such a brave woman! Sorry for your foot, 12 stitches are bad. And sorry for your cellular.
Glad that Odin was OK without panicking.
Are you having a trouble with your walk?? Be hygienic until full recovery. Foot damage is inconvenient I know.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Sorry to here about the nasty cut sHaDoWoLf.
- you may of stepped on a broken piece of glass
Odin is such a confident boy...he knows Mommy would always help him.
^^^^ Funny how dobes will remember the human intervention to support their safety / and gladly repay the favor, years later...when the situation is needed.
- minus the cut, was a major victory on the issue of trust building

35 years ago, my first dobe stepped on a broken beer bottle, in long grass (jaded glass sticking straight up) and our Tanya, severed an artery between her pads.
- wife drove to the vets while I applied pressure on the paw, blood all over the front seat (did not matter)

A few years later, teenage kids were driving their old mans car with girls and buddies...all loaded up.
Then one guy made the mistake of tossing an empty out the window, as they drove through a gas station/parking lot.
Now my blood is boiling, do I want my dobe to step on glass again or do I need a flat tire ??...No.
This is before cell phones, my wife and I & dobe race home in the car, and call the cops...with vehicle description and license plate number.
Then we head back up town, the idot kids was pulled over by 2 police cars (scared now), all because someone thought it would be cool to break an empty, on the pavement - the teenage driver got charged and had to phone his parents to come get their car off main street...LOL...not funny anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts